Side by side

fmyth

WKR
I bought a used Ranger last year and so far I don’t have any regrets. It came with a snow plow which will be handy. I hauled out a quartered bull last year up and down some pretty steep grades without any issues. I also use it to plant food plots here at home. My kids like driving it, so I guess you could say it has multiple uses. My only complaint is the drive belt makes me a little nervous, if it decides to fail when I’m in a remote place. It’ll probably be after dark while it’s snowing.
I have had a 2013 Ranger 900 since new and have never broken a belt in over 7,000 miles of AZ trails, Glamis Sand dunes and hunting trips. I changed the first belt as preventative maintenance at 3,500 miles. The original belt still measured within specs and I carry it as a spare. It only took me about 30 min to change the belt. If I were you I'd buy a new Polaris brand belt and change it now for peace of mind and so you'll know how to do it and can carry the correct tools with your spare belt.

bmf0713

WKR
I have a Polaris Ranger full size 900. It’s not the fancy one with the fancy paint, rims and power steering but it will fit 3 legally in the front with 3 seatbelts. I got it brand new in 2017 for $9200. It was a year end sale Polaris was doing in October. Now once you start buying all the accessories for it you’ll be going over $10k.

Just something to consider depending on where you hunt - the Pioneer 500 fits through forest service ATV gates. I've taken mine in deep where the bigger rigs can't go. The 500 is a billy goat too. I wasn't convinced at first about the off road capability, but this thing will climb up anything if you point it in the right direction and put it in first gear.

NV HUNTER

WKR
I just bought a 90 chevy tracker 2 door hard top ( tin top) . I was very specific on what I wanted. Automatic, ac , heat, 2 door tin top. It needs a little work but not too bad. It took me a while to find a good deal. I plan on being $3000 into it complete.....BUT I still think a true sidexside ( especially a rzr 800) will be the best bet. I hunted out of a rzr 800 last year in Montana and it was great.

Honda Pioneer 1000-5 here. Love the machine so far. I usually ride 2 maybe 3 guys at the most so the rear seats are only for those rare times where we have to get 5 of us in there. If you add a bed extender on, there is a little more room for hear with 5 guys in it, but in all honesty, it is not really meant to haul around 5 guys plus gear. Paddle shifters are great for selecting the gear you want when you want it. I will say I am way over your budget on my machine, but you can find some used 700's in your price range.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Just something to consider depending on where you hunt - the Pioneer 500 fits through forest service ATV gates. I've taken mine in deep where the bigger rigs can't go. The 500 is a billy goat too. I wasn't convinced at first about the off road capability, but this thing will climb up anything if you point it in the right direction and put it in first gear.

I have been wondering about this. I wasn’t sure if a 500 side by side was enough.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Honda Pioneer 1000-5 here. Love the machine so far. I usually ride 2 maybe 3 guys at the most so the rear seats are only for those rare times where we have to get 5 of us in there. If you add a bed extender on, there is a little more room for hear with 5 guys in it, but in all honesty, it is not really meant to haul around 5 guys plus gear. Paddle shifters are great for selecting the gear you want when you want it. I will say I am way over your budget on my machine, but you can find some used 700's in your price range.

That’s kind of what I was thinking. My wife isn’t keen on spending $10k but I think I have her convinced but I can’t spend anymore than that. I have been looking for a 700 too. I just started looking at a can am hd8 but there seems to be a shortage as no dealer has any.

jmez

WKR
One of my buddies has the 1000. I have a Kawasaki Mule FXT pro. Great machine if you aren't into the recreation/sport side.

If ATV trail restrictions are not a concern then buy a used Honda Pioneer 700-4. Quieter then anything out there. Comfortable and reliable too.
I just picked up a ‘17 with 1200 miles on it with a roof and windshield for $8500.

If you plan to run FS trails with a width restriction then you need a Pioneer 500

jmez

WKR
I love the Mule. I have the bigger one. It has room for 6 adults and all their gear. The bed extends even bigger if you lay the back seats down. It has nowhere near the snap and top end speed of the sportier machines. Plenty of power, esp if you put it in low gear. I replaced a Ranger 900 with the Mule and much prefer the mule.

I use mine for hunting and driving around the Black Hills with my family. I have no need, or desire, to go ripping around forest service roads at 60+ mph. The Mule is generally cheaper than the sportier models, has more room and more cargo area, and will get you anywhere you need to go. What it won't do is double as a "dune buggy."

My Mule is quieter than the Polaris and the Pioneer.

elkguide

WKR
I have the 1000.
If you are into working then the mule is the machine you want. If you're into pleasure and work, the Pioneer is the way to go.

As far as a mule being quieter..... every one that I have been in has been a lot louder than the Pioneers.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
If ATV trail restrictions are not a concern then buy a used Honda Pioneer 700-4. Quieter then anything out there. Comfortable and reliable too.
I just picked up a ‘17 with 1200 miles on it with a roof and windshield for $8500.

If you plan to run FS trails with a width restriction then you need a Pioneer 500

That’s a decent price! I am watching for one like that. Some of the forest service roads have been increased to accommodate rangers but not allow jeeps. Not sure if it is a trend but something I have seen in a couple areas. Not concerned too much about the 50” because of that.

NateO 77

Lil-Rokslider
I went down the Polaris RZR rabbit hole 2 years ago and figured out quickly I would rather hunt out of a Toyota Tacoma. I sold the RZR after only using it a few times. A lot more room in the truck, It goes almost to all of the same spots and has a bed to haul anything I need. Just my 2 cents.

DesertJoe

FNG
I went down the Polaris RZR rabbit hole 2 years ago and figured out quickly I would rather hunt out of a Toyota Tacoma. I sold the RZR after only using it a few times. A lot more room in the truck, It goes almost to all of the same spots and has a bed to haul anything I need. Just my 2 cents.

This is what I was thinking. I don't think I read a response from the OP when "mini trucks"were mentioned previously. The '96-'04 Tacoma is an extremely comfortable and reliable vehicle that was available in a 4door model that's perfect for kids and a dog. Look for one of the 4x4 TRD models with the rear locker, and you'll have a vehicle that will make it to 300k miles or more on general maintenance plus can be a backup if your vehicle or the wife's is in the shop. They'll carry anything a SxS can (and tow a SxS if need be).

Of course if you want to be able to use designated ATV trails this won't work, but many SxS's won't be able to either. I'd love to have an SxS and so would my wife, but I just don't see justification currently since I have a 4runner that is the SUV version of the Tacoma, and it gets me where I want to go, and with a weather-tech cargo area cover I can throw quartered game in the back without worry.

^^^^Buzz Killers.

Every time a side by side thread comes up, I start drooling and dreaming, and my wallet starts to get hot. Then someone eventually chimes in the Tacoma argument, and brings me crashing back to reality. My 4runner kicks ass, why do I get suckered in?

Thanks for the reality check!

OP
WyoBowhunter21
This is what I was thinking. I don't think I read a response from the OP when "mini trucks"were mentioned previously. The '96-'04 Tacoma is an extremely comfortable and reliable vehicle that was available in a 4door model that's perfect for kids and a dog. Look for one of the 4x4 TRD models with the rear locker, and you'll have a vehicle that will make it to 300k miles or more on general maintenance plus can be a backup if your vehicle or the wife's is in the shop. They'll carry anything a SxS can (and tow a SxS if need be).

Of course if you want to be able to use designated ATV trails this won't work, but many SxS's won't be able to either. I'd love to have an SxS and so would my wife, but I just don't see justification currently since I have a 4runner that is the SUV version of the Tacoma, and it gets me where I want to go, and with a weather-tech cargo area cover I can throw quartered game in the back without worry.

I get what your saying here. It’s really hard to justify the taxes and licenses for a Tacoma. Not sure how much a used one in that range would be but the new ones are out there. For those that have one, how do they do in the sand? Where I hunt its basically a giant sand dune. I almost buried my truck this last weekend. If I would have, not sure I wouldn’t have had to leave it for winter. Sadly its the only access to the area unless you walk for 4 miles to where the hunting is. Sorry for the rant there. I appreciate everyone’s advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk