Sidearm carry with pack

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Where I live and hunt is blackbear country and honestly Im not real worried about them unless it was sow with cubs. We do have wild pigs to, and to those worry me more than the bears. I carry A pistol in a holster strong side on my pack hip belt. But when sit down I drop the pack. I know there are a few systems to carry below the Bino harness. In shorts what is your alls opinion on best way to carry pistol in backcountry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
Holster on the waist belt of the pack that is easily transferred to mini paddle on the belt, or with a pistol small enough to go in a pocket holster in your cargo pocket.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a g20. That’s not a bad idea I do have a. QLS holster already for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunt the Top

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer to carry on my chest. To your point, if you have your pack off, you no longer are armed. Also if for some reason you are pinned down, having your pistol center of chest will give you a better chance than at your side. I run a marsupial gear bino harness with one of their pistol holster attachments that interlocks directly under the bino harness. Great option that centers the weight and works well… I also have an Alien gear chest rig holster that I use when I don’t want the whole bino harness/range finder/kestrel/ pistol holster configuration on my chest.

I run a marsupial gear bino harness with one of their pistol holster attachments that interlocks directly under the bino harness. Great option that centers the weight and works well…
I used the same for 2 weeks this past elk season. Wasn't sure if I'd like it, but I did.

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a G20 and use a G-code RTI Holster. Have a molle attachment on my pack belt and have a paddle I use if I drop the pack.

wnelson14

WKR
Holster on the waist belt of the pack that is easily transferred to mini paddle on the belt, or with a pistol small enough to go in a pocket holster in your cargo pocket.

This ^^^ that’s how I run it,
you can even get smaller then a paddle with the belt slide from Safariland

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
I personally don’t see how the Kenai chest holster can be beat. It works perfectly under my FHF gear bino harness and doesn’t interfere with my pack.

wayno945

FNG
I use a QLS holster with the Safariland DFA. It drops the holster to right below my pack waistbelt so I still have the pistol on when I drop my pack. Works well for me.

BjornF16

WKR
I’ve run a soft holster on my belt under my pack waist belt. Unbuckle waist belt transfer gun, drop pack.

I grabbed a Kenai to try this year and love it with one exception, I can’t wear a chest harness in conjunction with it. I prefer to wear a small minimalist chest harness with IFAK, nav gear, etc as I like to have that gear on me at all times. With the addition of the Kenai, that gear has shifted to my pack waist belt.

The Kenai doesn’t interfere with my pack at all as long as the adjustment slides are strategically placed to avoid hot spots or load points. I don’t even notice it’s there. Some of the guys in camp with me this year liked it so much, they are grabbing some.

You could always pocket carry a hammerless 357 revolver, probably the easiest way. You don't have to worry about hogs though so if you're not worried about bears it's probably just extra weight. I hunt on the border mostly so I carry for the two-legged rats running around.

Bladetech dropped offset belt holster. Does not interfere with pack, Strongsville carry, no thigh wrap nonsense. Use same rig for competition so consistent practice & field setup.

You can run a Safariland Universal Belt Loop (UBL) and QLS fork system like all the cool tactical dudes that works great without a lot of bulk. Just run one leg strap on this for stability and there are different UBLs to choose from depending on how much drop length you want.