Sidearm for Lion?

Curious as to whether anyone here hunts Mountain Lion in CO high country with a sidearm? Or the intermountain west.

What sidearm and caliber/bullets are you using? Looking for solid recommendations from experienced folks.

Typically I archery hunt with longbow or recurve but picking up this winter's Lion tag and contemplating just using a sidearm. I plan on getting pretty close anyways so similar range. I am thinking the weapon would be much easier to carry while I am using hiking poles and spikes to traverse icy & snowy terrain that is treacherous in good weather. Not sure if what I already own is enough shocking power though - biggest sidearm is a SigPro in 40 S&W and I also have a 357sig barrel for that gun too. My other two sidearms have shorter barrels so if thats enough with the proper bullets I'd take the SigPro. But I realize I might need bigger and I am interested in sidearm hunting in general in the future as well so gotta start somewhere. Maybe might add deer and hogs (out of state) to sidearm hunts in the future.

I have a few lions located to stalk/walkup - they were busy stalking more than one hunter in the area I hunted deer this fall. They scared the crap out of more than one - spoke with a guy coming out with his sidearm drawn and huge eyes becuase he finally saw the lion as it was stalking up on him pretty close. He did the arm waving, being tall and getting loud thing and it backed off but followed him out quite a ways. So I figure I can return the favor to one of those lions and get some great tasting meat this winter.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

They are regularly killed with small diameter handguns and rifles. I have friends that hunt them with hounds; they use 22 mags. This includes going into small caves and killing the lion up close and personal.

Use what you shoot best.

Overdrive

WKR
If you're planning on hunting mountain lion in Colorado do yourself a favor and look at the regs for mountain lion, handgun is centerfire and must be minimum 45gr bullet producing 400 ft lbs at muzzle with minimum barrel of 4". You'll need to take a test to get certified to buy a mountain lion license.

If for self defense there aren't any regs that I've ever seen.

OP
TradArcher
If you're planning on hunting mountain lion in Colorado do yourself a favor and look at the regs for mountain lion, handgun is centerfire and must be minimum 45gr bullet producing 400 ft lbs at muzzle with minimum barrel of 4". You'll need to take a test to get certified to buy a mountain lion license.

If for self defense there aren't any regs that I've ever seen.
I took the test like a year or 2 ago and have hunted lions with my longbow last year. So I am good for purchasing the tag. I will read up on the handgun requirements though - thank you for pointing me in that direction.

I used an XDM-Elite in 10mm when I went out this year. I would also use a 9mm +P to meet the muzzle energy requirement. The idea is to not blow a huge hole in the hide. Maybe a hardcast bullet.

TheHammer

WKR
I run a 9mm 148gr solid cast from choice ammo, I use to use my 686+ 357 with hsm 180 bear loads, but the gun started to get a little beat up and imo it’s to pretty to be mistreated and abused. Honestly any side carry you can shoot accurately and have confidence with is your best bet, a 10mm isn’t going to do anyone any good if the gun doesn’t fit their hand and they flinch on recoil.

Lions die just as easy as a house cat. Other then an actual regulation your just letting fear make you think you need a cannon.

OP
TradArcher
Lions die just as easy as a house cat. Other then an actual regulation your just letting fear make you think you need a cannon.
There is no fear involved - I just don't want to wound anything and being new to handgun hunting (as opposed to just carrying one for bears) I don't want to assume anything.

OP
TradArcher
I run a 9mm 148gr solid cast from choice ammo, I use to use my 686+ 357 with hsm 180 bear loads, but the gun started to get a little beat up and imo it’s to pretty to be mistreated and abused. Honestly any side carry you can shoot accurately and have confidence with is your best bet, a 10mm isn’t going to do anyone any good if the gun doesn’t fit their hand and they flinch on recoil.
Sounds like my SigPro in 40 S&W is enough with proper bullets to meet the regs requirement then. Please do correct me if I am wrong but from reading everyone's responses this sounds like it would be more than enough to do a clean kill on a mountain cat.

Sounds like my SigPro in 40 S&W is enough with proper bullets to meet the regs requirement then. Please do correct me if I am wrong but from reading everyone's responses this sounds like it would be more than enough to do a clean kill on a mountain cat.
If you can shoot it well then it is what you want. Mountain lions are no pun intended giant pussys. They are not hard to kill at all. The most popular rounds with the houndsmen I’ve run with are 22 hornet and 40 s&w.

I wouldnt be too worried about a lion attack but if you have to have something just take whatever is light and you are comfortable shooting

Legend

WKR
I killed one with a 22cal hadgun with hollow points. If the regulations allow it I don't think it matters what gun. Cats are pretty soft and you don't want to make big holes for the taxidermist.

OP
TradArcher
Thanks all!
Good info and fwiw I am primarily an archery hunter for big game, own shotguns for birds but still tend to use the bow and own sidearms for self defense. I have zero experience killing predators or big game with a firearm other than one whitetail decades ago with a slug from my 870. Hence my questions about enough energy, etc as I am mostly an archer.

Thanks all!
Good info and fwiw I am primarily an archery hunter for big game, own shotguns for birds but still tend to use the bow and own sidearms for self defense. I have zero experience killing predators or big game with a firearm other than one whitetail decades ago with a slug from my 870. Hence my questions about enough energy, etc as I am mostly an archer.
Carry a gun big enough for a biped cuz the lion isn't the most dangerous critter you may encounter. Anything will kill a longtail...I carry ammo that'll penetrate denim & leather.

Curious as to whether anyone here hunts Mountain Lion in CO high country with a sidearm? Or the intermountain west.

What sidearm and caliber/bullets are you using? Looking for solid recommendations from experienced folks.

Typically I archery hunt with longbow or recurve but picking up this winter's Lion tag and contemplating just using a sidearm. I plan on getting pretty close anyways so similar range. I am thinking the weapon would be much easier to carry while I am using hiking poles and spikes to traverse icy & snowy terrain that is treacherous in good weather. Not sure if what I already own is enough shocking power though - biggest sidearm is a SigPro in 40 S&W and I also have a 357sig barrel for that gun too. My other two sidearms have shorter barrels so if thats enough with the proper bullets I'd take the SigPro. But I realize I might need bigger and I am interested in sidearm hunting in general in the future as well so gotta start somewhere. Maybe might add deer and hogs (out of state) to sidearm hunts in the future.

I have a few lions located to stalk/walkup - they were busy stalking more than one hunter in the area I hunted deer this fall. They scared the crap out of more than one - spoke with a guy coming out with his sidearm drawn and huge eyes becuase he finally saw the lion as it was stalking up on him pretty close. He did the arm waving, being tall and getting loud thing and it backed off but followed him out quite a ways. So I figure I can return the favor to one of those lions and get some great tasting meat this winter.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.
I guided lion hunts in CO for years and we killed about 60% of our lions with handguns. The guy I ran with the most carried a .45 longcolt and I packed a .357 and we each killed lions every year on top of what our clients took. Never had an issue with the lethality. I even had a guy take 1 with a 9mm and he stoned it. On the rifle side we had quite a few clients show up with lever guns chambered in pistol calibers and they did just as well.

14idaho

FNG
Lions are relatively thinned skinned and fairly easy to kill. Your 40 is plenty as long as you can shoot accurately.