Sierra Gamechanger vs nosler BT at high velocity

Wodez

FNG
Hoping for some intel on these 2 projectiles on my short list.
The Sierra game changer(tipped Gameking) with the Nosler ballistic tip.
I am Shooting 300wm around 3000fps And I am sure both projectiles are fine for medium-long range hunting with the right shot placement. Question is which would hold together better in the worst case scenario of spotting a deer at 50yards and hitting a rib or shoulder?

I understand both are not bonded and are there for quick expanding at the best of times and aiming behind the shoulder when possible would be ideal.

Shooting deer in Australia. Fallow deer which I would guess are roughly a little smaller than your whitetails, and also sambar deer which are about the same size as elk, roughly.

Nosler bt either 165gr or 180gr
Sierra Gamechanger 168gr or 175gr
Anyone had experience with both of these through game or gel at similar velocity at short range?

Thanks

Last edited:

EdP

WKR
Please note that you are asking about the tipped Matchking. That is not a hunting bullet. The tipped Gameking is Sierra's hunting bullet. I have used GKs (the older version, not the newer tipped version) on deer, black bear, and elk with good results and still use them for whitetail size game. For larger game I prefer to use Nosler Accubonds due to their more robust construction, and also because they shoot as well as the GKs in my rifles. The ABs are also twice as expensive as the GKs so I don't use them unless I think there is an advantage.

WCB

WKR
The Sierra game changer(tipped matchking) with the Nosler ballistic tip.

Please note that you are asking about the tipped Matchking. That is not a hunting bullet. The tipped Gameking is Sierra's hunting bullet. I have used GKs (the older version, not the newer tipped version) on deer, black bear, and elk with good results and still use them for whitetail size game. For larger game I prefer to use Nosler Accubonds due to their more robust construction, and also because they shoot as well as the GKs in my rifles. The ABs are also twice as expensive as the GKs so I don't use them unless I think there is an advantage.

I think there is some confusion going on here. The Game Changer is the tipped GameKing NOT the tipped MatchKing. Wodez you may want to clarify which exact one you want to ask about.

Personally I would shoot the tipped GameKing. Less expensive and in my opinion performs better on game.

My experience with the Ballistic tip is it will be a bomb going off at 300 Win Mag velocity at close range hitting a rib or shoulder. It will damage a lot of meat with those hits. No experience with the Sierra Game Changer, however I saw a picture of a 165 gr .308 Game Changer next to a 165 BT. The Sierra is noticeably longer which would tell me it has a thicker jacket to stretch that length. If it was a thinner jacket with lead core at the longer length, the bullet would no longer be a 165 grain bullet. Just a thought based on observation.

A Nosler Acubond would be more versatile.
Absolutely, however I was just sticking with what the op asked about.

Main appeal to traditional cup and core type bullets is the cost. Bonding or monos add to the cost. For hunting bullets I've never found that bit of extra cost a detriment. Shoot the less expensive bullets for practice and verify zero each year before the season with a controlled expansion bullet. For sure, Sierra's and BT's are fine hunting bullets, but controlled expansion is important to me at all ranges.

I agree a bullet that is controlled expansion beyond jacket thickness is more versatile.

Last edited:
I’ve killed a number of whitetails with Nosler Ballistic Tips in various calibers (.243, 6.5, 7mm, .308) and wouldn’t be worried about it. I have yet to see one “explode” even running 3000 at the muzzle and hitting shoulder sub 100 yards. I’d load up some 180 NBT in your 300 and go kill stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

Wodez

FNG
I think there is some confusion going on here. The Game Changer is the tipped GameKing NOT the tipped MatchKing. Wodez you may want to clarify which exact one you want to ask about.

Personally I would shoot the tipped GameKing. Less expensive and in my opinion performs better on game.
My mistake. Tipped Gameking is what I am looking at. = Gamechanger

OP
W

Wodez

FNG
My experience with the Ballistic tip is it will be a bomb going off at 300 Win Mag velocity at close range hitting a rib or shoulder. It will damage a lot of meat with those hits. No experience with the Sierra Game Changer, however I saw a picture of a 165 gr .308 Game Changer next to a 165 BT. The Sierra is noticeably longer which would tell me it has a thicker jacket to stretch that length. If it was a thinner jacket with lead core at the longer length, the bullet would no longer be a 165 grain bullet. Just a thought based on observation.
Thanks but please clarify. Did they explode and not penetrate much? Or explode but still penetrate/kill?

Yes happy to clarify. My wording came from having observed what happened (tremendous and unnecessary meat loss, given other choices in bullets). Expanded on impact and ruined the left front quarter on a quartering on shot. Found very little internal damage, other than fragment holes in the lungs and heart. Yes the bullet very much killed the animal, to me it is unacceptable to destroy that much meat. Now, I use the TTSX in all my hunting scenarios. They have encountered the same shot and exit out the offside rear quarter. Same dead animal and more meat in the freezer.

I used to chase the last bit of BC and retained velocity, but experience says to avoid bullets that expand this way on less than perfect shot angles. It would be illegal and wanton waste to leave half a quarter of good meat in the woods and not pack it out, but if the meat is damaged and over half of it is destroyed, when I can avoid it by bullet choice, I have chosen that route.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I can only comment on the Nosler BT’s. I’ve taken 1 mulie buck with the 165gr out of a .308 and was not impressed. Bullet did not hold together well on impact and tore up a good bit of shoulder. From my minimal experience with it, I wouldn’t recommend it for a 300wm

Motown

WKR
I can only comment on the Nosler BT’s. I’ve taken 1 mulie buck with the 165gr out of a .308 and was not impressed. Bullet did not hold together well on impact and tore up a good bit of shoulder. From my minimal experience with it, I wouldn’t recommend it for a 300wm
Just curious how many years ago this happened? The older ballistic tips had thinner jackets and would tend to be a bit explosive, but within the past 10-15 years (could be longer now) I believe they have beefed up the jackets on the BT’s.

I have shot quite a few deer with BT’s in numerous calibers since they beefed up the jackets and have had great success with them. Most deer are DRT but if they go anywhere they might make it 30 yards max with massive blood trails and minimal meat damage.

Just curious how many years ago this happened? The older ballistic tips had thinner jackets and would tend to be a bit explosive, but within the past 10-15 years (could be longer now) I believe they have beefed up the jackets on the BT’s.

I have shot quite a few deer with BT’s in numerous calibers since they beefed up the jackets and have had great success with them. Most deer are DRT but if they go anywhere they might make it 30 yards max with massive blood trails and minimal meat damage.
Good to hear you’ve had better experiences with them. This was 3 season ago with ammo purchased just prior. I have not used them since then.

Last edited:

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider

Bingo!
The early Ballistic Tips were bombs, I took several Deer with those and have used the later ones and the difference is considerable indeed!! But the difference varies with each individual bullet weight and caliber. I understand that the 180 BT is now a 3rd generation design and I know from experience that it is much harder than the oldest version. The 168 has a fairly thick jacket too.
I would thou want to use a heavy for caliber version of either the Gamechanger or BT for Elk but really I would want to use a heavy for caliber bullet with any brand if not bonded or mono in a large case like the 300 WM.

I have killed 2 animals with a 175 grain game changer out of a 6.8 western. One was a mule deer doe at about 60ish yards the other a cow elk at 550 or so. Both bullets hit behind the shoulder and both exited the animal. Both died within 40 yards of being shot. Velocity should of been around 2750ish on the mule deer and 2050ish on the elk.

OP
W

Wodez

FNG
I managed to put together a side by side section of the 2. Photos are from others and couldn’t clarify exact caliber or weight.
Left- Nosler bt.
Right- Sierra Gamechanger
Game change looks to have a thicker jacket at the tip but also a larger hollow point behind the tip.
Nosler starts with a thin jacket and small hollow point, then the jacket tapers thicker towards the base.

35whelenAI has me thinking about the length. The Gamechanger is 0.22” longer in the heavier 30cals. I am stuck with sako magazine length which gives me .273” jump with my current load, barnes 165gr tsx untipped.
Changing to a tipped projectile I might be best sticking with the shortest option to avoid more jump and compressed loads. I couldn’t find any specs on either projectiles for the length from ogive to tip, but I think the Gamechanger might be longer here too.
Changing from 165gr tsx to 180gr bt will only add .057 in COAL. Gamechanger will add .277

Attachments

• 478E98C8-DCB4-4582-9890-1E5734CC363C.jpeg
    478E98C8-DCB4-4582-9890-1E5734CC363C.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Looks like the Game Changer carries the thicker jacket further forward. And looks a bit more sleek as well. To me if those were not detrimental to accuracy or velocity that would be my initial choice based on the pictures. I absolutely like retained weight and the penetration it offers. Adequate expansion and more penetration potential, always wins out in my book. Looks like a good bullet, and nice to hear guys saying the newer generations of ballistic tips are holding together much better. I'm sure the GC will do the same. 👍

With respect to overall length, theoretically there are advantages to a bit longer seating but until you shoot the bullet and the powder charge in your rifle and see how accuracy and velocity come out, I think it's premature to judge one way or the other.

FLS

WKR
I’ve killed a good bit of game with the Gamechangers and Ballistic Tips. The Gamechanger is a stouter bullet and very accurate out of my rifles. I don’t push them to 300 Win Mag velocities, but wouldnt be afraid to after witnessing their performance. I’ve had good expansion and penetration from about 80 yds out to 725.

ccampff

Lil-Rokslider
I have definitely had a few Nbt's explode out of a 7mag before at similar speeds that you're talking about. Switched to a 160 Accubond.