Sig Sauer BDX

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
Idaho does not allow the bdx scope.
Check the current big game regs for the state you're going to hunt in.
Yes I just did more research, it's Idaho, Oregon,
Colorado is currently reviewing it.
(Note: This response has been updated on 05/02/2022 to reflect the updated information)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 8.24.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 8.24.52 PM.png
    331.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

josef

FNG
That section is very poorly written. BDX isnt considered a smart scope/rifle. That is in reference options like tracking point.

bsnedeker

WKR
That section is very poorly written. BDX isnt considered a smart scope/rifle. That is in reference options like tracking point.
Also the ballistics calculator is in the rangefinder, not in the scope, therefore it doesn't meet that requirement either.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

josef

FNG
Also the ballistics calculator is in the rangefinder, not in the scope, therefore it doesn't meet that requirement either.

Yah I believe there is a letter floating around from CO F&G stating BDX is fine as well. Obviously that was a while ago and they can/do change their interruptions on things. The verbiage in the regs hasnt changed though.

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
I just got off the phone with colorado wildlife representative, he knew exactly what I am talking about and these are his words: as of now sig sauer BDX is considered legal to use but be aware that, currently it is being reviewed by Wildlife Law Enforcement & Public Safety for legality, no decision yet, but keep checking our updated rules and regulations.

I also updated my previous post in this regard.

Last edited:

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Sig Sierra3BDX 4.5-14x44mm to sell if anybody is looking to complete their system (loaned my Kilo 1800 to a buddy and he lost it, so my system is incomplete). Scope is in Sig Alpha aluminum rings and has Butler Creek caps front and back.

It's this one: https://www.sigsauer.com/sierra3bdx-4-5-14x44-mm.html

josef

FNG
I just got off the phone with colorado wildlife representative, he knew exactly what I am talking about and these are his words: as of now sig sauer BDX is considered legal to use but be aware that, currently it is being reviewed by Wildlife Law Enforcement & Public Safety for legality, no decision yet, but keep checking our updated rules and regulations.

I also updated my previous post in the regard.
Good man! Thanks for the update.

Hey everyone!

Does anyone know current updates for the Sig SierraBDX scopes in Oregon? The new system allows you to just develop a custom holdover reticle. I have read through the new Oregon hunting regulations for 2023 and there is nothing in there that mentions you would not be able to use the scope unless u are using it as part of the whole BDX system along with the rangefinder. The Sierra scopes are not considered "smart rifles" since the scope itself doesn't not calculate anything. Just wondering if anyone has reached out and talked to ODFW or the State Troopers about this info. To me, if u just use the custom holdover reticle in the scope it is no different than using the custom cds turrets from Leupold.

Thanks!

bsnedeker

WKR
Hey everyone!

Does anyone know current updates for the Sig SierraBDX scopes in Oregon? The new system allows you to just develop a custom holdover reticle. I have read through the new Oregon hunting regulations for 2023 and there is nothing in there that mentions you would not be able to use the scope unless u are using it as part of the whole BDX system along with the rangefinder. The Sierra scopes are not considered "smart rifles" since the scope itself doesn't not calculate anything. Just wondering if anyone has reached out and talked to ODFW or the State Troopers about this info. To me, if u just use the custom holdover reticle in the scope it is no different than using the custom cds turrets from Leupold.

Thanks!

So I literally just looked up the regs in Oregon...have no experience there at all, but this is what it says you can NOT use: "including scopes with electronic rangefinders and scopes that receive information from any electronic device."

The BDX scope absolutely CAN receive information from an electronic device. Even with the holdover dots you are sending those specific dots from your phone so based on the letter of the law I would say they are not legal in Oregon. But you should for SURE call the game department in Oregon. That is the only definitive source you should be listening to, not some random dudes on the internet.

So I literally just looked up the regs in Oregon...have no experience there at all, but this is what it says you can NOT use: "including scopes with electronic rangefinders and scopes that receive information from any electronic device."

The BDX scope absolutely CAN receive information from an electronic device. Even with the holdover dots you are sending those specific dots from your phone so based on the letter of the law I would say they are not legal in Oregon. But you should for SURE call the game department in Oregon. That is the only definitive source you should be listening to, not some random dudes on the internet.
I understand that they CAN recieve information from an electronic device. However once u have those dots set in your scope u can hunt without using any of those capabilites. You essentially just have a custom reticle, which is similar to the custom cds dials u can get on leupold scopes it's just in reticle form.

I've already sent an email asking about them to odfw just awaiting a reply. Was just curious if anyone else had heard directly from odfw instead of trying to interpret the regs from different perspectives haha.

Thanks for the info.

bsnedeker

WKR
I understand that they CAN recieve information from an electronic device. However once u have those dots set in your scope u can hunt without using any of those capabilites. You essentially just have a custom reticle, which is similar to the custom cds dials u can get on leupold scopes it's just in reticle form.

I've already sent an email asking about them to odfw just awaiting a reply. Was just curious if anyone else had heard directly from odfw instead of trying to interpret the regs from different perspectives haha.

Thanks for the info.
But notice the regs don't say "a device that hasn't received data from an electronic device recently is fine".... it says you can't use a scope that receives data from an electronic device, full stop.

Please let us know what the fish cops tell you, I'm legit curious!

Txswift

FNG
I have a sierra 3 4.5x14 laying around I’ve never messed with. This has made me want to grow it on something and see how it works