Sig Sauer Zulu6

I went with the 16s because they actually have the same field of view as the 12s. But the eyebox is definitely smaller. Still plenty usable, but I wouldn’t be interested in the 20s.

Also, I was looking at using these to replace my small spotting scope. I actually prefer carrying 8s on my chest.

I have 16s and 12s in my hands at home and I can’t decide which to keep. I’m leaning towards the 12s for same reason several have said. They seem more forgiving, easier to focus, etc. I can’t decide if the extra 4x magnification is worth it though. I’m going to replace my razor HD 10s on my chest with them. I think the 12s are better suited for that, but it sure would be nice to have 16s and not carry a spotter.

I hate decisions…
I only have experience with the 16's. I run them on my chest and absolutely love them. Two buddies of mine have converted over to zulu6 16's as well.

bigbuckdj

WKR
My friend runs his 16s on his chest. I leave mine in the pack and use the 10 power zulu6s on my chest. The 12s were optically better than the 16s to me as well, i just couldnt deal with giving up the FOV and Mag, and I felt like there was a lot of overlap in the 10s and 12s.

180ls1

WKR
My friend runs his 16s on his chest. I leave mine in the pack and use the 10 power zulu6s on my chest. The 12s were optically better than the 16s to me as well, i just couldnt deal with giving up the FOV and Mag, and I felt like there was a lot of overlap in the 10s and 12s.

If they could have given the 12s the FOV of the 10s it would have been a slam dunk.

bigbuckdj

WKR
If they could have given the 12s the FOV of the 10s it would have been a slam dunk.
That’s what I wanted, I didn’t want two pairs. Single handing the 10s while I’m bowhunting, watching critters move like I’m watching National Geographic in 4k is too addicting. You get the same experience in the 12s or 16s I just could see myself struggling to find animals quickly with that tight FOV.

Supposedly sig is working on some new prescriptions, I’ll be excited to see those.

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I went out tonight for about an hour where I could see pretty much unlimited distance at dusk. My observations are that the difference in detail between 16s and 12s is negligible. It’s 30% more magnification by the math but it’s hard for me to discern any practical difference both 3-400 yards and many miles. However, slightly better light and slightly easier to focus on the 12s which makes them more forgiving to use. I think I’m going to keep the 12s as a result. I think they’re basically like having 15s without image stabilizing. Doesn’t hurt that they are $100 cheaper, too.

It’s a really hard decision, even having both in my hands for so long. A guy would be happy with either one he picked. They do sell far more of 16s which really is the main thing giving me so much pause, wondering if everyone else knows what’s up and I don’t…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbuckdj

WKR
I had both and did the same thing you did and came to the same conclusion you did about the 12s being easier to get behind. I decided to keep the 16s, I think it’s personal preference.

Amongst my friend group most have 16s, a few have 12s, and one even has the 20s. I think if I didn’t have the 10s I would’ve stuck w the 12s but the field of view was just so dang small compared to my normal 12s, I think that also made me like them less.

I went out tonight for about an hour where I could see pretty much unlimited distance at dusk. My observations are that the difference in detail between 16s and 12s is negligible. It’s 30% more magnification by the math but it’s hard for me to discern any practical difference both 3-400 yards and many miles. However, slightly better light and slightly easier to focus on the 12s which makes them more forgiving to use. I think I’m going to keep the 12s as a result. I think they’re basically like having 15s without image stabilizing. Doesn’t hurt that they are $100 cheaper, too.

It’s a really hard decision, even having both in my hands for so long. A guy would be happy with either one he picked. They do sell far more of 16s which really is the main thing giving me so much pause, wondering if everyone else knows what’s up and I don’t…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdoublev

FNG
For those interested, Tricer just announced they will be making a tripod adapter for the Zulu 6 that replaces the battery cap. Looks like a better mounting solution than the Aziak version, but it’s $70 ($20 more than Aziak). You can pre order now for delivery at the end of July

tdoublev

FNG
And out of curiosity - has anyone tried the Zulus on a monopod? I bought the Aziak adapter to convert a trekking pole to a monopod. I’m very prone to motion sickness and I couldn’t stand it very long with regular binoculars. Wondering how good it would be with Zulus for long periods of glassing

Last edited:

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I had both and did the same thing you did and came to the same conclusion you did about the 12s being easier to get behind. I decided to keep the 16s, I think it’s personal preference.

Amongst my friend group most have 16s, a few have 12s, and one even has the 20s. I think if I didn’t have the 10s I would’ve stuck w the 12s but the field of view was just so dang small compared to my normal 12s, I think that also made me like them less.
I came to the same conclusion about the 12s and 16s. The 16s are more zoomed in but it doesn’t seem like you can see things any better. I got the 12s and I think they give the sharpest image but I couldn’t live with the tight FOV so I got the 10s and am selling the 12s. As was said above, once they can expand the FOV on the 12s it will be a slam dunk and really rival alpha glass.

I’m curious about using the 20s to keep in my backpack in place of a spotter.

I’ve been definitely intrigued by the 16s. The GoHunt folks are sure standing behind them it seems.
I just love the method of setting up and sitting behind a tripod.

180ls1

WKR
I’ve been definitely intrigued by the 16s. The GoHunt folks are sure standing behind them it seems.
I just love the method of setting up and sitting behind a tripod.

If you enjoy that then these are not for you. You will sacrifice glass quality as well. These are very cool but alpha glass or $1k+ glass smokes these.

If you enjoy that then these are not for you. You will sacrifice glass quality as well. These are very cool but alpha glass or $1k+ glass smokes these.
Totally, and running these with an aziak bino adapter seems kind of redundant.

That being said. When on the move and stalking in, these would be wicked.

180ls1

WKR
Totally, and running these with an aziak bino adapter seems kind of redundant.

That being said. When on the move and stalking in, these would be wicked.

Yup, I am completely sold on the 10's for my chest. The 20's in my pack, not so much. If you really like picking things apart at a distance I don't think the 20's are the ticket compared to a tripod setup.