Sight tapes with 2 Draw weights on the same bow

PSE_Aaron

FNG
Just recently got a new Black Gold Ascent Whitetail sight, I am coming from a fixed pin sight. I was wondering what you do to sight in two different draw weights. Do you just swap the tapes back and forth? I could also go to a lighter arrow that would move the same FPS, would that work to use the same tape?

I hunt with 70lb draw weight but drop down to 60-65 during the spring/summer for practice. Just wondering what most people do in this situation.

Holocene

WKR
How are you dropping poundage? By turning the limb bolts down or using something like the Mathews SW cams? Are you shooting the same exact arrows, too?

I ask because turning down your limb bolts can change your tune, and it will certainly change your string geometry (draw length, exact d-loop location, etc.) -- however slightly. You might be dialed enough to notice, or not. Changing your arrows will change your tune.

I'd be curious about what other guys do, too.

Me, I tend to set up a bow how I like it and not mess with anything. At the least, I would feel okay switching out an entire sight or a sight housing IF it was indexable and repeatable. The new Axcel Landslyde seems to have that feature.

QAD's new target rest has a cool feature where you can use multiple inserts that index your rest position. So, if you switch from a micro arrow to a .246, you can just take one insert out and put in the other and not have to re-tune. If you are shooting a target bow only, that could be a neat option.

OP
P

PSE_Aaron

FNG
How are you dropping poundage? By turning the limb bolts down or using something like the Mathews SW cams? Are you shooting the same exact arrows, too?

I ask because turning down your limb bolts can change your tune, and it will certainly change your string geometry (draw length, exact d-loop location, etc.) -- however slightly. You might be dialed enough to notice, or not. Changing your arrows will change your tune.

I'd be curious about what other guys do, too.

Me, I tend to set up a bow how I like it and not mess with anything. At the least, I would feel okay switching out an entire sight or a sight housing IF it was indexable and repeatable. The new Axcel Landslyde seems to have that feature.

QAD's new target rest has a cool feature where you can use multiple inserts that index your rest position. So, if you switch from a micro arrow to a .246, you can just take one insert out and put in the other and not have to re-tune. If you are shooting a target bow only, that could be a neat option.
Yes, turning Limb bolts out. I know its not the best method but it is what I have for now. I just adjust my draw length when I change weights to match to my correct length.

I can use the same arrow, I think it would be too stiff though. Or use another arrow as I have some lighter ones. they are the same size diameter.
Didn't think about the Dloop location changing. But I have done my own tuning, paper tuning, I could paper tune both times.

At some point when I have more money I will have two bows. One for target and one for hunting.

Holocene

WKR
Turning limb bolts out is totally fine, just curious b/c of DL change. Sounds like you are on top of that by adjusting string or cable to get to your preferred length. Awesome.

You can get away with shooting that stiffer arrow, and many pro shooters and hunters actually shoot on the stiff side so it's a win in my book. No need to swap arrows or fool with point weight to get the same dynamic spine. Of course, your tune might change -- but it might not if you are super super dialed. Maybe a 1/32" rest adjustment...just shoot through paper and do a little bare shaft tuning at 2, 4, 6, 8 yards and watch the arrow behavior over time.

Getting both a hunting and target bow is of course the end game. I don't think that's what "most people" do, but it's a smart choice for upping your archery game and what the pro shooters do.

I read this article recent: Why Every Bowhunter Needs a Target Bow. Levi talks about shooting his TRX most of the year, then switching to a hunting rig and getting used to it for a while.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve turned limb bolts down and have changed mods on my Mathews, as well as, changed arrow weights without any arrow flight problems. I just swap my wheels out. I have one setup for 60 lbs and one for 70 pounds. I’m shooting a HHA Tetra Max.

I use a spot hogg swap rest and a different dovetail sight.

With same diameter arrow and only using field points for target practice you are likely fine leaving your rest alone and swapping out sights or just a tape.

A lighter arrow that's moving the same fps will fall off faster. It will work, but you will need to add yards as you get further out. I think when I played with it one time it was around 4 yards at 80 on my setup, but that's pulling from my poor memory.