Signatures Delivered to Colorado for Wolf Ballot Initiative

So I’ve been wondering, these enviro folks seem to have had great success in the past filing law suits to get their way. Why in the heck can’t we get together and start filing law suits to stop this?

OP
ndbuck09

ndbuck09

WKR
Problem is Boulder is not where they are putting them. The western slope is. It's sort of like me voting to introduce grizzlies in New York . If we really want to restore historic ranges , both wolves and grizzlies wandered far beyond the rockies and far down the west coast.

And the historic elk range covered the whole country practically, but people who don't hunt aren't clamoring for their expansion beyond a few in-holdings in a couple eastern states.

JG358

WKR
And once the breeding pair number has been achieved, they will keep moving the goal posts. The activists and environmentalists will file lawsuits and injunctions. It will be years before any management will done. By then the damage will be done.

I totally agree that theyll tie everything up in court but if/when they approve managment, How do you manage wolves anyway? Seariously, Hunting doesnt work for crap, trapping seems to do ok but still doesnt fill quotas from what I've read. Not that we can snare in CO anyway and your most likely not catching a wolf in a freaking live trap.

I totally agree that theyll tie everything up in court but if/when they approve managment, How do you manage wolves anyway? Seariously, Hunting doesnt work for crap, trapping seems to do ok but still doesnt fill quotas from what I've read. Not that we can snare in CO anyway and your most likely not catching a wolf in a freaking live trap.
Well, I can only speak of Idaho. By the time the state was granted management, the population was way beyond the agreed to numbers. USFWS had taken care of problem wolves and packs prior to that. You are absolutely correct that hunting is an extremely inefficient form of control for these animals. They are intelligent, learn quickly and are constantly on the move. Trapping has proven to be a much more valuable control tool.

OP
ndbuck09

ndbuck09

WKR
Ya exactly. It'll be just like all the other wolf states and now grizzly states. Lawsuit after lawsuit, taken to the right judge for blocking, for years and years. This is the crux of this situation! I go to any of the largest hunting organization websites and there's nothing talking about this huge threat to western hunting!! I wonder what percentage of the non-residents that hunt Colorado OTC elk even know about the details of what's going on and the implications it will bring? The time to start shouting about it is NOW for RMEF, BHA and all these orgs. And in my opinion it should be front and center because it's going to drastically affect hunting and how many people can go hunting in Colorado on Public Lands.

CBreeze

FNG
Thats what everybody says. But everywhere with a significant wolf presence here also has tons of coyotes.

Not sure where here is but it must be a special place to provide such an abundance.
Especially given the apparent lion population there.

Not sure where here is but it must be a special place to provide such an abundance.
Especially given the apparent lion population there.
Northeastern washington. Yeah, its special alright. If you like predator hunting. Not so much if you like deer or elk hunting.

This area, where i was yesterday, ive seen wolves twice, also a helicopter shot one last year very close to me while i was in a treestand deer hunting, see tracks regularly, got 1 wolf on cam, but it has shit tons of coyotes. Killed a yote there yesterday morning, and a lion and another yote earlier this month. Heres a pic of wolf tracks next to coyote tracks i took a couple hours after killing the yote. Coyote is going the opposite direction, smart boy. Anyway, when people say "when wolves move into an area they wipe out the coyotes" i assume they dont spend much time in wolf country. Look at how big a wolf packs range is, then imagine how many coyotes are there. A big pack of wolves would have to be 100% focused on killing coyotes and nothing else, full time job, and i still dont know that they could wipe them out. Im sure they do kill some, but they certainly dont wipe them out.20191222_114016-1623x768.jpg

Last edited:

Okhotnik

WKR
Ya exactly. It'll be just like all the other wolf states and now grizzly states. Lawsuit after lawsuit, taken to the right judge for blocking, for years and years. This is the crux of this situation! I go to any of the largest hunting organization websites and there's nothing talking about this huge threat to western hunting!! I wonder what percentage of the non-residents that hunt Colorado OTC elk even know about the details of what's going on and the implications it will bring? The time to start shouting about it is NOW for RMEF, BHA and all these orgs. And in my opinion it should be front and center because it's going to drastically affect hunting and how many people can go hunting in Colorado on Public Lands.

BHA helping hunters?141588

BHA's focus is primarily about access and public land of which they have done a lot.
I hear this argument a lot. But the name of the organization is back country hunters and anglers. Hunting being the key word there. Theyre not called backcountry recreational enthusiasts. With hunters being prominent in the name of the organization, they should take a stance on the wolf issue etc, as it definitely effects backcountry hunters.

parshal

WKR
I asked the 20 year old son, 23 year old daughter and her 23 year old boyfriend if they were voting for the amendment. All three asked why do we want them here? They couldn't figure out a good reason to have them. If they are asking that question perhaps others their age will, too.

It's a hope.

brsnow

WKR
If we can get the word out people will listen to it, think things through and make a decision. The outdoors are enjoyed by many here, so the issues are important. It makes sense they had to rely on outside money to fund their propaganda.