Simms exstream puffy vs Sitka Kelvin lite down

I'm still on the hunt for a late season puffy that can be used outside of hunting for ice fishing and other cold weather endeavors.
I'm leaning towards these two and am trying to see if anybody has good experience comparing them directly. This does not need to be a compressible puffy, since I have options for elk season. This would be more of an outer layer for ice fishing, used under a shell for goose and deer season and a general cold weather jacket. Doesn't need to be camo but will jump on camo if it's the right deal.

I have been eyeing up the simms exstream jacket
Here are the specs of the simms
200g primaloft silver w/ thermoplume
30d polyester face
15.87oz claimed weight
Cost- 299 but I found one on sale for 229 and have seen lower

Here are the specs on the sitka
110 grams of 900 fill primaloft gold down blend
60 grams of primaloft gold on arms and lower back
Two way stretch nylon face
Claimed weight of 17oz

379 msrp- woodsmoke is on sale lower all over.

Looking at these two, I'm not sure how 200 grams of primaloft silver would compare to 110 grams of gold down blend.

I know the synthetic simms would likely hold up to goose hunting better, if it's raining or wet it would always be under a shell so down wouldn't likely be an issue.

Anybody used both for comparison?

OP
E
Anybody using a simms exstream? It sounds like the steelhead guys like em

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have either one but based on the fill the Sitka will be just a touch warmer.

If you are willing to consider down I would look at the Montbell Alpine parka and the Katabatic Tincup parka. Both of them would be a step up in warmth at about the price and weight as the Simms and Sitka garments.

OP
E
I don’t have either one but based on the fill the Sitka will be just a touch warmer.

If you are willing to consider down I would look at the Montbell Alpine parka and the Katabatic Tincup parka. Both of them would be a step up in warmth at about the price and weight as the Simms and Sitka garment
Do you figure the sitka is warmer because of the down?
I figured with 110 vs 200 it would be the other way but that might be showing my n lack of experience

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
The Simms Primoloft Silver equates to about 650 down so it is not as warm as the SitkaPrimoloft Gold. Simms makes up for that by just adding more of it. But like I mentioned before the difference in warmth between the two is negligible.

The Katabanic Tincup would be warmer, lighter and cheaper but no camo like the Sitka.

OP
E
The Simms Primoloft Silver equates to about 650 down so it is not as warm as the SitkaPrimoloft Gold. Simms makes up for that by just adding more of it. But like I mentioned before the difference in warmth between the two is negligible.

The Katabanic Tincup would be warmer, lighter and cheaper but no camo like the Sitka.
I'm not worried about this piece being lighter, I'd actually prefer durability for this use case. How durable is the katabanic?

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
The Sitka and Montbell have the same exterior material and would be more durable than the Katabanic but none of them are made for brush busting.

OP
E
The Sitka and Montbell have the same exterior material and would be more durable than the Katabanic but none of them are made for brush busting.
Awesome thank you! I'll look at the montbell! Is the brand friendly to hunting?

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
Montbell is geared towards the backpacking type crowd but its clothes are used by hunters also as they recognize it makes quality outdoor clothes at a fair price.

Because I fish often in cold temps, last year I bought a discounted Simms ExStream online. It was like $160 so I figured there was no way I could go wrong... Upon opening the box I had instant buyer's remorse, packed it up and sent it back. I would have kept it if the baffles and fill were not so overbuilt/bulky. Also would not compress like any of the hunting variations. Anyway, the ExStream and Sitka Kelvin are not in the same category.

FWIW, I discovered a few years ago that pairing two thinner baffle jackets is warmer, more variable, more compact, and lighter going than a beefier puffy. Examples of 'thin' jackets are Brooks sweater, KUIU Ultra hoody, and the Black Ovis hoody that was recently discontinued.

Hope this helps! :)

[Edit: In fairness to Simms, it's a cold weather fishing jacket. As a fishing jacket, would be OK for mobility and range of motion, but I did not like the bulk around the neck/head.]

Last edited: