Sitka Fanatic Hoody vs. Sitka Gradient hoody (Timber)

Wanting to buy either the fanatic hoody or the gradient hoody (timber). I understand that the gradient is intended for duck hunting but I wanted a warm layer underneath my Stratus jacket that I could wear earlier in the season here in Iowa as an outer layer then underneath as it got colder. Which of the two would be best bang for buck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I have had both the fanatic and gradient. I also owned the stratus too. I ended up parting with all three. They are all nice and serve their purpose and perform flawlessly. For your intentions and plan of layering I would go gradient under stratus. I feel
Like the gradient is warmer and is heavy enough to be a stand alone piece. I think of the fanatic hoodie as a mid layer. Which I did where under a stratus jacket. The gradient in my opinion is better suited for double duty. I know it’s not on your list but you may consider two other options. The traverse cold weather hoodie( big fan) or a kuiu kenai ultra. Just a couple of ideas I have both. They suite me better and
At not be for you

OP
C
I have had both the fanatic and gradient. I also owned the stratus too. I ended up parting with all three. They are all nice and serve their purpose and perform flawlessly. For your intentions and plan of layering I would go gradient under stratus. I feel
Like the gradient is warmer and is heavy enough to be a stand alone piece. I think of the fanatic hoodie as a mid layer. Which I did where under a stratus jacket. The gradient in my opinion is better suited for double duty. I know it’s not on your list but you may consider two other options. The traverse cold weather hoodie( big fan) or a kuiu kenai ultra. Just a couple of ideas I have both. They suite me better and
At not be for you

Is the gradient too bulky to be worn underneath the stratus? Will that make pulling back a bow a challenge do you think?

Lowg08

WKR
I didn’t think so myself. Most companies size there clothing to layer. I’m pretty sure you would be just fine. I never seemed to have an issue. When I get clothing the first thing I do is try it on in the way I plan to wear it and draw my bow and shoulder my rifle.

I do love the traverse cold weather hoody. I think subalpine is a good pattern for whitetail and I believe it’s also a windstopper. I wish they’d make an celcius type jacket with windstopper. I’d use that with fanatic hoody over it.

Lowg08

WKR
The traverse does not advertise with a windstopper but I have not felt the wind through it yet

The traverse does not advertise with a windstopper but I have not felt the wind through it yet

You’re right my mistake. I’m thinking of a different jacket. It’s pretty heavy and fleece lined

Lowg08

WKR
It’s still a good suggestion though. The Dakota hoody would be the traverse with a windstopper.

Last edited:

Lowg08

WKR
No not at all. I actually bought mine to go over my brooks down because it’s very quiet and soft. No noise at all. Just go up a size

No not at all. I actually bought mine to go over my brooks down because it’s very quiet and soft. No noise at all. Just go up a size

I love Sitka gear and I’m a big believer in the product but I hate how everything is very specialized requiring so many different (very expensive) pieces. It annoys me to no end that fanatic lite isn’t wind stopper.

Lowg08

WKR
I agree. I just buy the best pieces in my opinion whether it be Sitka, FL , kuiu, under armor.....etc. I like for everything to work in tandem. Where I can just add

Will be getting the first light furnace wool base layer this year. Returned one last year and the Sitka merino heavyweight wasn’t as nice.

Lowg08

WKR
Just from experience it’s very hard to beat first lite merino

mauserfan

FNG
I'd buy a Patagonia Fleece that has the shell and donate the extra dollars you saved to your local Youth Shooting Sports team.
Darrel

I'd buy a Patagonia Fleece that has the shell and donate the extra dollars you saved to your local Youth Shooting Sports team.
Darrel

Is there a specific name for that I should look for? Never bought anything from them.

T28w

WKR
Do u have a heavyweight hoody? If so u don’t need the fanatic imo. I picked up a fanatic used just for giggles. I much prefer the heavyweight hoody. Not a fan of the mittens or different material in the sleeve. The pouch is nice but it is hard for me to imagine using it since if it is cold enough to want my hands in it, I’m almost certain that I want be wearing it as my outermost piece.

I bought a gradient and a Dakota and was going to sell the one I liked least. The Dakota is the way to go if u can get it not at full retail. Price is the only thing I dont like. Other than that it is really nice.

JRS3

FNG
What is the comparable hoody to the Gradient Hoody pullover? I would like to find another or similar since they were discontinued. Solids are preferred to double for hunting and casual wear.

I wear mine as a stand alone outer layer in temps down to the upper 20s and it performs great in the wind. I think it weighs 28oz.