Sitka Finally did it!

jd1006

WKR
I like a lot of Sitka products, but I’ll say that this just catches them up to the competition and without seeing the merino%, I’m not sure it makes them any better. The benefits of Merino are significantly lessened by the introduction of other fabrics. I think that once you get below 80-85% merino, you aren’t really getting much out of what the fabric is intended to do. I didn’t think there was a problem with Sitka’s lightweight merino Q-Zip or Boxer or the Apex hoody.

If the pants are quieter than the competition and now have hip vents, they could be onto something. I still think the Corrugate Foundry from FL is the best all-around hunting pant out there.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Will they add hip vents to other existing pants or come up with new updated lines to replace existing ones?
I think this is the second new pant in a row that has been given hip vents. My guess is that whenever they update/replacing existing pants, they will be added or else they’re getting outclassed by the competition.

sr80

WKR
It is nice they added hip vents and made zip off base layer pants. I mentioned this way back, but i figured when they finally came out with hip vents in pants that they would over complicate them, and they did. Sure the merino lining might be nice, sure it might be handy to slip knee pads in and out without taking the pants off. But i bet most people would rather just have a pair of mountain pants with hip vents at a reasonable price instead of all these extra un-needed features and more of an inflated price. Or just ad hip vents to the apex pants that these are supposed to replace and keep the price the same.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
It is nice they added hip vents and made zip off base layer pants. I mentioned this way back, but i figured when they finally came out with hip vents in pants that they would over complicate them, and they did. Sure the merino lining might be nice, sure it might be handy to slip knee pads in and out without taking the pants off. But i bet most people would rather just have a pair of mountain pants with hip vents at a reasonable price instead of all these extra un-needed features and more of an inflated price. Or just ad hip vents to the apex pants that these are supposed to replace and keep the price the same.
This is more reflective of the individual piece and not the hip vents. The new knee pads should be a welcomed change, the current ones suck. The apex pants pick pretty bad in my experience compared to other pants, so hopefully these are better. Can’t get any more simple than a zipper for a vent.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
I got both Intercept pieces this afternoon and tried them on. Went outside and shot a few arrows with them, and did some stuff around the house.

Intercept Pants: The first thing I noticed compared to the Apex pants is that the Intercepts are louder. Not a ton, I would put them between the Apex and Mountain pant. Closer to the Apex, like a 1A to 1B. Certainly quiet enough for stalking in calm weather if you are doing your part. Maybe they will break in and be as quiet as the Apex. The nylon face feels like it will hold up more, and is why they are noisier. The hip vents are nice. Compared to my Kutana's, they are father back on the hip, longer, and open more without the mesh. They felt a little weird at first because of the placement, but I will get used to it. They offer good access to the knee pads. The updated pads are nicer. Narrower, more cushioned in the center. As long as you place them in the pocket right and place your knee down in the right spot on them, they are an improvement. I hate knee pads for hiking, so I'm going to try and stuff them in the waist belt pouch on my pack. Overall, they are an improvement feature wise but I am somewhat disappointed they are louder than the Apex. For me, the hip vents will be huge for early season stuff here in SW NM. Walking around in the desert is like playing tag with Michael Meyers and The Wolverine, so the tougher face should aid in longevity. I think if you're missing this type of pant in your system and can afford it, go for it. If you have the Apex pants or similar and don't really want/need the new features, it may or may not be worth the coin.

Intercept Hoodie: Feels like most merino midweight layers to me. The Armor spun merino is a little more stout and taut, but still soft and breathable. It's probably too heavy as a stand alone in early September here, but it will still be useful for morning and evenings over a Core LWT SS or LS. Not sure how well it will pair over the Core LWT Hoodie because they both have the same style hood and face mask. Anyone hunting further north than me will get great use out of this for early and mid season hunts. The elbow pads sit a little weird for me, starting the bottom of my elbow and covering my upper forearm. I have skinny arms, so YMMV depending on your build and arm length. I still think they will work, but it will take getting used to them being there all the time. There isn't a lot of seam structure around them, so they kind of "flop" around a bit. They sit in a mesh pouch and can be removed easily when you're not wearing it, or if you take your arm out of the sleeve. Hood and face mask fit identically to the Core LWT Hoodie, but less snug and more comfortably because the merino is softer. If you like merino or want a midweight bow hunting piece with elbow pads, it's a good piece. I don't have anything else like it, so it will have a place for me.

Last edited:

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
I got both Intercept pieces this afternoon and tried them on. Went outside and shot a few arrows with them, and did some stuff around the house.

Intercept Pants: The first thing I noticed compared to the Apex pants is that the Intercepts are louder. Not a ton, I would put them between the Apex and Mountain pant. Closer to the Apex, like a 1A to 1B. Certainly quiet enough for stalking in calm weather if you are doing your part. The nylon face feels like it will hold up more, and is why they are noisier. The hip vents are nice. Compared to my Kutana's, they are father back on the hip, longer, and open more without the mesh. They felt a little weird at first because of the placement, but I will get used to it. They offer good access to the knee pads. The updated pads are nicer. Narrower, more cushioned in the center. As long as you place them in the pocket right and place your knee down in the right spot on them, they are an improvement. I hate knee pads for hiking, so I'm going to try and stuff them in the waist belt pouch on my pack. Overall, they are an improvement feature wise but I am somewhat disappointed they are louder than the Apex. For me, the hip vents will be huge for early season stuff here in SW NM. Walking around in the desert is like playing tag with Michael Meyers and The Wolverine, so the tougher face should aid in longevity. I think if you're missing this type of pant in your system and can afford it, go for it. If you have the Apex pants or similar and don't really want/need the new features, it may or may not be worth the coin.

Intercept Hoodie: Feels like most merino midweight layers to me. The Armor spun merino is a little more stout and taut, but still soft and breathable. It's probably too heavy as a stand alone in early September here, but it will still be useful for morning and evenings over a Core LWT SS or LS. Not sure how well it will pair over the Core LWT Hoodie because they both have the same style hood and face mask. Anyone hunting further north than me will get great use out of this for early and mid season hunts. The elbow pads sit a little weird for me, starting the bottom of my elbow and covering my upper forearm. I have skinny arms, so YMMV depending on your build and arm length. I still think they will work, but it will take getting used to them being there all the time. There isn't a lot of seam structure around them, so they kind of "flop" around a bit. They sit in a mesh pouch and can be removed easily when you're not wearing it, or if you take your arm out of the sleeve. Hood and face mask fit identically to the Core LWT Hoodie, but less snug and more comfortably because the merino is softer. If you like merino or want a midweight bow hunting piece with elbow pads, it's a good piece. I don't have anything else like it, so it will have a place for me.
Would you say these fall somewhere in between the mountain pant and the apex? I got rid of the mountain pants because they were too hot for warmer weather and not enough for me in the cold so they just really had no place for me.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Would you say these fall somewhere in between the mountain pant and the apex? I got rid of the mountain pants because they were too hot for warmer weather and not enough for me in the cold so they just really had no place for me.
I would say in terms of warmth they are nearly identical to the Apex. Maybe just slightly warmer because of the nylon face. No wind stopper or DWR as far as I can tell. If you want a good in between pant look at the Kutanas or Attacks. The Kutanas are my favorite, they hold up to a lot and are warmer than they should be. I can get them down into the 40s with a light base layer if I’m not sitting much.

I love sitka but you nailed it. Over complicated it for sure.

Wildgame

FNG
It is up to us, the consumer to get some companies to stop charging so much for hunting clothes.

Don't buy them period. I am sure it costs them quite a bit to make but that is not our problem. If we don't buy them, they will find a way to make them at a lower price.

I understand if you are a TV personality or a hunting marketing pro with lots of social media exposure and are trying to promote the product. But for the average weekend warrior seems to be completely way too much.

I understand that comfort is super important but there are options out there...you just have to let go of the idea that the brand makes your hunt.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like this conversation is always about price vs quality, use, etc. I feel that hands down sitka is an amazing brand. The quality of their gear seems to last longer to me, and the ability to wear minimal layers and stay warm, while having freedom of movement is awesome. On some pieces they do charge a little more than the competition but not much. I have no problem wearing other brands what so ever. I have kings camo, stone glacier, kuiu, and they all have their place. But I don't think the conversation should ever really be about price that much unless it's crazy more than the competition (which it's not). It's like comparing a dewalt drill to a Milwaukee. It's not a huge price difference but one is absolutely better than the other. And if it angers you so much cause it's expensive then don't buy it. If you feel like it's not worthy of the price DONT BUY IT.

I feel like these types of expenditures are a lot like the radio, or the news….if you don’t like it then don’t participate.

Yes its expensive. Yes it isn’t “necessary”

It is an optional thing that can make things better for some, at a cost. There is no reason to get all keyboard warrior like and let everyone know its too expensive and “i wont be buying it”…that is virtue signaling in the opposite direction, but still no better than the folks we all like that make special note on their social media accounts about how they support BLM or whatever soup de jour is the theme for the day….who cares. I certainly do not care one iota if someone thinks sitka gear is too expensive. Just don’t buy it. You don’t need to let the world know you wont be buying it and why.

I come to this site for information about things i may want to buy. I don’t go on blast about everything i feel is over priced for what it offers, and i certainly don’t see everyone doing that for other stuff. I don’t see too many people blasting swaro for their really high prices, even those that cant afford it, because people see the value for the cost. Sitka makes dang good clothes. But demand helps drive price. If you dont want to buy it, just dont. And eventually prices may come down for pieces that dont sell well. No reason to virtue signal to prove you are not a social media mogul….we already know you arent 😂😂

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like these types of expenditures are a lot like the radio, or the news….if you don’t like it then don’t participate.

Yes its expensive. Yes it isn’t “necessary”

It is an optional thing that can make things better for some, at a cost. There is no reason to get all keyboard warrior like and let everyone know its too expensive and “i wont be buying it”…that is virtue signaling in the opposite direction, but still no better than the folks we all like that make special note on their social media accounts about how they support BLM or whatever soup de jour is the theme for the day….who cares. I certainly do not care one iota if someone thinks sitka gear is too expensive. Just don’t buy it. You don’t need to let the world know you wont be buying it and why.

I come to this site for information about things i may want to buy. I don’t go on blast about everything i feel is over priced for what it offers, and i certainly don’t see everyone doing that for other stuff. I don’t see too many people blasting swaro for their really high prices, even those that cant afford it, because people see the value for the cost. Sitka makes dang good clothes. But demand helps drive price. If you dont want to buy it, just dont. And eventually prices may come down for pieces that dont sell well. No reason to virtue signal to prove you are not a social media mogul….we already know you arent 😂😂
I should have just had you say it for me. Lol. Much more eloquently put them myself.