Sitka Kelvin Active Hoody

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I purchased the Active Hoody prior to the season and got to wear it several times prior to season and more recently deer/elk hunting.

The Good: Polartec Alpha is the king of the mountain in active insulation- it provides good warmth for weight, breathes extremely well and dries quickly. I've owned no less than a half dozen Polartec Alpha garments and the key to these garments is what fabric they add (or don't add) to the Alpha. The other key is how much Alpha is used- it comes in varying weights. What I've found is several garments used fabric that is not breathable in conjunction with the Alpha- making it decently warm, but doesn't breathe or dry quickly, rendering unacceptable as active insulation garment. Sitka nailed it with the weight of the insulation, but more importantly with the fabric. On the interior it's "naked" Alpha this is exactly what it should be- too many manufacturers try to line the Alpha, usually resulting in garment that doesn't breathe well. In fact Sitka's Active jacket is lined, not a smart move imo. To the crucial outer fabric- again Sitka nailed it with this. It provides protection to the Alpha (it's a little too delicate to have a hunting garment with straight Alpha), but it allows the entire garment to breathe.

I've found it very comfortable on the move in the 30's and 40's with just a light base layer. If it's extremely arduous (climbing steep uphill), into the 20's. Again this garment breathes very well, which means if it's very windy- you'll need a windshirt or the like over it.

The hood is perfect. Fits closely and is adjustable. I love using the hood to regulate my temps- too chilly, throw the hood up, too warm, pull it off. It has a decent length zipper to help augment temp regulation as well.

The overall fit is athletic, layers over a light base base layer perfectly, but trim enough to layer over the top of it too.

The Bad: the sleeves are half length. I think this was in deference to archery hunters who don't want any bulk on their forearms. I'm not a archery hunter, so not sure how critical this is. It's a thin garment, so full sleeves shouldn't be much of an issue.

I looked at the jacket, but it doesn't have a hood- that's non starter for me. Also as mentioned above- it has a fabric liner; I really think one of the reasons that Active Hoody performs so well is the "naked" Alpha on the interior.

So Sitka- ditch the jacket. Make the Hoody in half sleeve for archers and full sleeve for rifle hunters- done and done!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm hoping they see the need for a sleeved version :)

feanor

WKR
Thanks for the review. I looked at both versions and passed on both for the lack of good on the jacket, and the half sleeves on the other. I don’t want to look like Bill Belichic out there. Sheesh

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the review. I looked at both versions and passed on both for the lack of good on the jacket, and the half sleeves on the other. I don’t want to look like Bill Belichic out there. Sheesh

:D

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
hmmm- that looks pretty darn good- has the hood and "naked" alpha inner; going to give them a call and see what weight Alpha they're using in that garment

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've looked at the Rab one and also a few cottage industry ones that are using nothing but Alpha for their garments, but for hunting I see a lot of snagging/ripping; with a light windshirt over the top I think it would probably work fine though

Elkangle

WKR
I used a timmer made alpha hoody with sitka core light weight hoody over the top

I found this to be more versatile than sitkas shacket

prm

WKR
I have the kelvin active jacket. As much as I wanted to like it, I really don’t use it. If I were hiking all the time it would be a fine piece. Which is what it’s designed for, so I guess its more of my use case not matching. For hunting, where I’m not moving all the time I find it varies too much in how I feel if there is any breeze. As mentioned, it needs to be paired with a wind shirt.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used a timmer made alpha hoody with sitka core light weight hoody over the top

I found this to be more versatile than sitkas shacket

yeah Timmer was one of the cottage industries that makes garments solely from Alpha Direct- never thought about layering under a base layer, but that would certainly work

I have the kelvin active jacket. As much as I wanted to like it, I really don’t use it. If I were hiking all the time it would be a fine piece. Which is what it’s designed for, so I guess its more of my use case not matching. For hunting, where I’m not moving all the time I find it varies too much in how I feel if there is any breeze. As mentioned, it needs to be paired with a wind shirt.

yeah definitely want an outer garment if it's windy, they (active layers) are purposely designed to be very breathable

Also I found out that the Arrowhead (Sitka) piece uses Alpha direct on the inner and a 30d breathable outer fabric, 80 g/sm weight- so that should definitely be a contender. They are Berry compliant, so the cost is high though.

Elkangle

WKR
At 1st I had the hoody was just for Camo but it seems the tight weave helped shed gentle winds really well also...either way the timmer hoody was the difference between being comfortable & being cozy

The more I wear it with other items the more I see it's versatility...I would say it reduced my stops to adjust clothing by roughly 1/3 if that makes sense

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out the Midlayer Hoody - MDWi from Sitka's Arrowhead line. Sounds like it checks all the boxes that you need.

I ended up grabbing one of these. It's exactly what I was looking for. On a recent 3 day trip I wore it daily with temps from 20's to 40's- provides nice warmth, but breathes wonderfully. There were a couple of times on steep ups that I overwhelmed the jacket a little and got some inner moisture, but was impressed that it dried quickly.

A stiff, cold wind would require an additional outer garment, (windshirt would be my choice) but for active insulation this is a good as I've seen.

r7pFXsR.jpg

TommyPiz

FNG
I ended up grabbing one of these. It's exactly what I was looking for. On a recent 3 day trip I wore it daily with temps from 20's to 40's- provides nice warmth, but breathes wonderfully. There were a couple of times on steep ups that I overwhelmed the jacket a little and got some inner moisture, but was impressed that it dried quickly.

A stiff, cold wind would require an additional outer garment, (windshirt would be my choice) but for active insulation this is a good as I've seen.

r7pFXsR.jpg

That's awesome man. Glad it worked out for you.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seeing Sitka actually makes that piece, seems it would be easy to add to their hunting lineup too???

They (Arrowhead) make a vest in the exact same fabrics too- might make for a nice early season piece- although the Kelvin Active hoody does a good job at early season

I use my Active Hoody more than any particular piece Sep-Oct-Nov. The short sleeve is clever/zero restriction on your strong-side elbow (bow draw) or when shooting a rifle prone. Packing a $19 weightless nylon windbreaker (see pic) to wear underneath works ideal to block wind and retain warmth.

Only gripe is zippers on hand pockets :rolleyes:.
IMG_8852.JPG