Sitka Mountain Pant vs Timberline

Headed out to CO for my first elk hunt this late October and need some advice on these pants. I thinking of running a First lite merino wool base layer than either sitkas mountain pant or timberline pant as my active walking pants. With the idea to help protect from the wind and snow without being to hot. Then have a warmer set in my day pack for glassing and sitting.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Love my timberlines. Have tried on the mountain pants but never gave them any kind of workout.

I have both the Mountain and Timberline. Love both. Timberline is a little warmer/heavier but the more waterproof seat on it is nice. I hunted second rifle in CO last year and wore the Timberlines the first part of the week (stayed in the teens/20s as a high the first few days with lots of snow) then moved to the mountain pants when it warmed a little. If I was buying just one pair I'd go Mountain. Can always layer underneath and take a glassing pad.

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
I can second the “buy one pair” being the mountain pants. I have worn them hunting whitetails in September and all the way to Midwest January field waterfowl hunting. The colder it gets I just switch from a lightweight synthetic base layer to a heavyweight wool base layer.

OP
P
That doesn't sound to bad of a plan, maybe a bit cooler with less sweat. Then just pack a more thermal set in the pack.

406unltd

WKR
Either will work fine. For me though I use the mtn pant for sept. Once it cools off more I’ll switch to the timberline. Usually around second or third week of oct.