Sitka patterns

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
I’m finding a lot of Sitka Marsh camo items on big markdowns lately. I’m a pretty avid duck hunter so I’m thinking of getting some pieces, but was wondering if it would still be fine in the elk woods too. I know a lot of folks will say the pattern doesn’t matter much, but wondered if anyone had thoughts or experience with this stuff in particular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I often snap a picture of several camo types side by side and then convert to black and white on my iphone like deer/elk see. Often times guys can't guess which is which. As long as there is some contrast in the pattern most work fine. My answer is yes....fine in the woods too. Birds see color so more important there.

OP
gobears870

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting point - makes sense. Here’s marsh and subalpine. $20 difference between these in my size on Amazon today.
5bed6d11d1b2b57e024033d376419470.jpg
0f66afff0a861096b5a2b79c0c4c1e5c.jpg

elkguide

WKR
The bull that I shot last fall was really ticked off at me because my camo didn't match!!!!

Pattern doesn't matter that much. It's how it blends in Black and White.

Remember when we (or our grandparents) hunted in red plaid jackets and blue jeans ? The only "Sitka" they knew was in Alaska, and I think they killed plenty of deer and elk.
Any camo will be fine. I would be more concerned about hunting with the wind in your face, and your movement while game is looking in your direction.

Last edited:
I don't own any Sitka stuff, but like you, I thought about buying some of the waterfowl designed pieces because of price. The thing that turned me away from that was reading somewhere about function. Think about how you will be hunting. Most of the waterfowl pieces are designed to be used while sitting in a blind waiting for birds. If you are hiking extensively during archery season, these might be too hot or they might not breathe as well as the ones designed for big game hunting. I think it depends on what you are buying. A shirt like the one above might work for both--the camo certainly will.

OP
gobears870

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
I'm only looking at the Core base and mid-layer stuff, and it's all the same breathable fabric as the other "mountain" clothing. My only concern was their website says the swirling effect in their waterfowl patterns is designed to confuse overhead birds, so maybe from a lateral, stationary view it could stick out. I don't know. It looks enough like trees and branches and leafs to me.

PHo

WKR
If you look closely the SubAlpine pattern also has the swirling effect. It's not really gonna matter man.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
I often snap a picture of several camo types side by side and then convert to black and white on my iphone like deer/elk see. Often times guys can't guess which is which. As long as there is some contrast in the pattern most work fine. My answer is yes....fine in the woods too. Birds see color so more important there.

Deer/Elk see some color. Here’s the science behind optifade. A lot went into it. But I bet more animals have been killed without it.

http://www.optifade.com/science

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m finding a lot of Sitka Marsh camo items on big markdowns lately. I’m a pretty avid duck hunter so I’m thinking of getting some pieces, but was wondering if it would still be fine in the elk woods too. I know a lot of folks will say the pattern doesn’t matter much, but wondered if anyone had thoughts or experience with this stuff in particular.

There is a huge science around the Optifade pattern. You could use the Marsh pattern, but you will stick out like a sore thumb. If you are an Avid duck hunter than that's what I would use for waterfowl. The Subalpine and Open Country pattern is designed around big game hunting. We do have people run the Elevated II pattern, but I have not heard of anyone using the Optifade Marsh pattern.

I wouldnt trade my camo outwear for anything, i have some asat first lite, fusion first lite, and the kuiu vias. However i do wish i couldve found gear that performs as well in green/black plaid and screw that price tag!

Trial153

WKR
There is a huge science around the Optifade pattern. You could use the Marsh pattern, but you will stick out like a sore thumb. If you are an Avid duck hunter than that's what I would use for waterfowl. .

I hope your not serious

4IDARCHER

WKR
I have some quite a bit of studying about the science that went behind the patterns of optifade. Long story short the retired officer and his “team” that designed the patterns also helped design a lot of the military’s patterns including input into the dreaded ACU’s (thanks!) after that several ideas and patterns were pitched and bought by Sitka. The funny thing is shortly after the EVII and waterfowl patterns were bought by Sitka the Army (as well as other branches) decided that a more asymmetrical pattern worked better then the sharp edges of the digital patterns (yes we stole a derivative of Multicam) and switched back to that, making the algorithms the pattern EVII is based around one of the shortest and least successful patterns in modern US military history. Now 2 important things. 1) I still LOVE Sitka, the garments fit, design, and layout is top notch and much more important than pattern. 2) Some of the na-sayers might actually be right about SOME of the pieces in the waterfowl line-ups but not for the pattern reasons. When both the marsh and especially the flooded timber patterns were being designed part of that design element was the reflection of the sun and water and part of the intentional design element was sheen and shimmer and on SOME pieces that element very well could draw attention. I do believe though that most of those pieces are more the outterwear pieces and not what the OP is referring to.

Wackedo

FNG
When the marsh pattern first came out I thought it would work well for elk hunting. Especially if you’re in/around wheat fields or tall grass.

Austink47

WKR
If the price is right go for it. Just act like you know something everyone else doesn’t. None of my camo matches and I just say it really breaks up the human figure when you don’t match. Which it does.

Pwells10

WKR
My in-laws hooked me up this past Christmas and ended up with a ton of subalpine. Before this season I was a kryptek guy. Killed my bull at 8 yards, brought him away from his cows, I wasnt in any cover. Stood next to a tree. I was using the kryptek highlander pattern.

I know that the marsh and highlander are different patterns but in a sense, i wasn't in a pattern that was adapted for my environment and worked obviously just fine. Now, I'm not familiar with the science behind the optifade, but if it were to give me an advantage over my prey I would go that route. In today's day and age I need all the help I can get.

Heres a pic, I ended up heading back to camp with my dad and uncle to give the bull a little bit and grab the pack frames. I ended up changing my shirt. But you can kind of see my pants which doesn't apply to the environment in my opinion.

Attachments

• 0915181626_HDR.jpg
    0915181626_HDR.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 71

prm

WKR
Animals do see in color, just closer to what someone who is red color blind would see. They don’t see colors on the red end of the spectrum as their range is shifted to the UV side along with more rods, fewer cones and no/less UV filtering. Photoshop has a filter you can apply that at least shows what red color blindedness looks like.