Sitka Pieces to Add to System

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
A couple of question for all you smart folks on Stika clothing system.

I've archery and muzzleloader hunted Colorado the last three years. This past summer I ended up acquiring a Kelvin Lite Hoody so in September I was running a Core Lightweight Hoody, Core Heavyweight Hoody and the Kelvin Lite Hoody. We spent the vast majority of the trip from 12,000-13,000 ft which got windy and I was thinking a Mountain Vest might be a good addition to this system for that time of year. Any thoughts or suggestions for that?

Also, looking at trying to get to Idaho in November in the next couple of years. Haven't ever hunted Idaho or in October/November. I've heard a lot of good things about the Jetstream Jacket for cutting wind and being water resistant. Would that be a good addition for that type of hunt for something that could be used in place of the Kelvin Lite Hoody or if things got really cold to use on top of the Kelvin Lite Hoody? I'm a central Texas boy so I don't have a great concept of how that layering would work for the temperatures encountered that time of year.

Much obliged for any help or direction.

*EDIT: The other thought I had was to have a Mountain Jacket underneath the Kelvin Lite Hoody and then the rain shell would go on the outside. That would allow me to cut the wind without having to have the rain shell unless it was needed but I'm not sure that is enough warmth for a November Idaho hunt full of snow. This option would allow me a something to stop the wind on the high altitude earlier season hunts as well as I could just use the Core Lightweight Hoody, Mountain Jacket and Kelvin Lite Hoody.

I only get out west once a year so I'm trying to think of something I could integrate to both an earlier or later season hunt depending on what I draw that year.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

rideold

WKR
I go with a hard shell over my kelvin lite hoody with a core heavyweight under that. That takes me through almost any cold weather I hit. I have an old 90% top that I use as a middle/outer layer if I don't need the hard shell or puffy.

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Much obliged for the replies so far. I edited my original post to include another thought I had about the Mountain Jacket. Any thoughts/education/different ideas from anyone else is welcome and appreciated.

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Jet Stream jacket over what you got.
I was hoping this would get me through a November snow hunt (I realize weather is unpredictable and you don't know what you'll encounter). Just glad to hear someone thinks that is doable.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes, a larger Jetstream jacket and a Mountain vest would give you a ton of versatility with what you have. If you don’t have Mountain or Timberline pants I would get those. They are a joy to climb the hills in.

KineKilla

WKR
Early seasons I like to run the Kelvin Lite Vest over a Mtn. Jacket.

Colder seasons I run my Jetstream over the top of the KL Hoody. That will handle almost every normal situation as long as you have dedicated rain gear as well.

Size up on whatever you plan to wear over the KL Hoody. Puffys only work right when they aren't over compressed.

I actually wear my XL Jestream just about every day for work as well. I bought it in a solid color so I could. Figured around here I'd have to wear an orange vest during rifle seasons anyways.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
All good stuff, appreciate the feedback.

Seeing as I already have the KL Hoody it seems the Mountain Vest would be the way to go instead of the jacket. Anyone have any experience running the KL Hoody over the Mountain Jacket?

I've never run a vest before so I'm not really familiar with how much "felt" effect you get dropping to a vest from a jacket.

KineKilla

WKR
I have run my KL Hoody over my Mtn. Jacket. It works but it works better of your wind layer is on top of the puffy.

Size appropriately and you can do whichever you prefer.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Much obliged for all the help. Ended up going ahead and getting a Mountain Vest since I could score one for $112.77. Figured that would be the best thing to have to throw under the Kelvin Lite Hoody and at least cut the wind to the core.

barrister

WKR
Much obliged for all the help. Ended up going ahead and getting a Mountain Vest since I could score one for $112.77. Figured that would be the best thing to have to throw under the Kelvin Lite Hoody and at least cut the wind to the core.
I have the Mountain vest and the Jetstream vest. They are amazingly versatile because they are good outerwear, but IMO really shine for layering. The wind proofing makes them warmer than you expect given their thickness. I choose which one to wear based on how cold it is and what I’m wearing under and over them. Being sleeveless, they don’t restrict your arms and shoulders as you layer up. They provide big time flexibility.

Hondo

WKR
Nice catch on the Mountain Vest at that price. I spotted those recently and if I didn't already have a Jetstream Vest I would have grabbed one.

Looking at your setup it seems that you might could benefit from a lighter mid-layer top than the HW hoody during the early season. Something perhaps like the Apex hoody ( or the discontinued Traverse 1/4 Zip. You would likely wear them often as an outer layer back home. I'm from Texas too and I do. Maybe the HW hoody works well for you in that role. Just an observation.

slewis12

FNG
I have the Mountain vest and the Jetstream vest. They are amazingly versatile because they are good outerwear, but IMO really shine for layering. The wind proofing makes them warmer than you expect given their thickness. I choose which one to wear based on how cold it is and what I’m wearing under and over them. Being sleeveless, they don’t restrict your arms and shoulders as you layer up. They provide big time flexibility.
Hey barrister I’m trying to get a hold of you about your 350 ammo get a hold of me please