Sitka Stratus/Kuiu Guide/XD Solitude

Hello Rokslide! There are some deep discounts on hunting clothing this shopping season so I am upgrading my kit. I have been using a bit of a hodgepodge in terms of patterns comprised of Browning Hell's Canyon tops (Speed Backcountry FM Windstopper and their puffy jacket) and a pair of mismatched hunting pants. Pants have some kind of loud material in them, the puffy is loud and tends to catch on stuff in the woods. Under 40 I start to get cold even with base and mid layers under the pants.

I am in Central Texas and hunt all over the state. In the winter months we can expect 30's to 50's, with some mornings in the 20's. I will sit in a stand or spot and stalk in West Texas. I am primarily interested in which of these sets can cover my temp range (20's-65) without the need for so many layers that I am like the kid in a Christmas Story.

It looks like the Stratus set may be in the sweet spot (and the KUIU less insulating and the XD more insulating) but I have them all coming so I can try them on and get general impressions of build quality and fit.

Do you guys have experience with these sets and, if so, any comments on temp range, build quality, warranty service, opinions on layout, etc?

Even on sale these things are not cheap so I would like to do this once and be good for a few years. I ordered the Stratus jacket/pants (bibs sold out) and same for the KUIU, for the XD I ordered the jacket and bibs.

Thanks in advance.

Bluesman1148

FNG
Classified Approved
I am in North TX and hunted quite a bit in West TX for both big game and Sandhills & Geese over the years. I own various garments in various patterns from all 3 companies that I’ve accumulated over time via their annual sales. At this point, it’s more about the scenario I’m heading out for, the weather during the hunt, and most importantly what fits me best. They are all high quality and I have no issue mixing them up. I only own Sitka waterfowl gear as that’s what I‘ve had for years. It’s probably my least favorite as far as quality goes (little things like zippers/zipper pulls breaking), but they are high quality nonetheless. I just think FL is prob my favorite in the quality and well thought out category.

For the west TX spotting/stalking scenario, I generally do not wear bibs unless it is on the extreme cold side with high wind, and for that I have FL Solitude bibs and jacket. I just use a good merino base layer and good pants (FL Corrugate or Kuiu Attack) and socks on my legs. I generally prefer FL’s merino base layers and the FL Kalamath is probably my favorite mid layer by far. For a jacket I like the Kuiu Axis soft shell which is what I like when temps aren’t quite as cold (above freezing), but if the temps are frigid with winds and I am moving, I would probably use my FL Solitude. Lastly, I have a Kuiu Superdown Puffy that I keep in my backpack in case I end up sitting in cold for a while.

OP
GoM_Coaster
@Bluesman1148 Thanks for the detailed response, I appreciate it. I like you approach, and the mixing and matching makes sense. Your reply also gives me a better sense of the temp ranges of these things. Like you, I accumulate on annual sales, so will start with pants or bibs (sounds like pants are better for more use cases) and a jacket, fill it out with what I have, and add to the kit as the sales fire up in the future. Thank you!

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I own far too many Sitka pieces. IMO, the Stratus line is the do-nearly-all. Quiet, wind-proof, warm into the 50s with light base layers, easily layer heavier under it. Even into the teens, my bottoms are a heavy merino base, the Equinox midi pants and the Stratus bibs. I wear the jacket down to the low 40s before moving to my Fanatic. Add the right base layer(s) and the Stratus pieces will do just about anything. If you are on the move a lot or packing, then not so much, definitely not the pants/bibs for chasing elk. If you sit a lot or just move slow and don't have to worry about over heating, I think the Stratus line is a great middle ground starting point.

OP
GoM_Coaster
So far, the KUIU guide jacket is really well thought out and a M fits perfect on me at 5'10 150. Hopefully the Axis is the same fit but a little beefier.
My other KUIU pants (ie the attack) fit perfectly when I get the 32 short (I would like a 30 leg). As far as I can tell, they don't offer the more robust pants in sizes other than regular and the 34" leg is freakishly long on me. I could layer one base under pants max.

The Stratus feels like the softest, most comfortable piece of clothing I have picked up. Oddly enough their M pants are usually long on me, but for me (32 30) the M stratus pants fit perfectly; you could wear a base layer and one more underneath if you wanted to.
Removable hood is nice. No zips for heat dump is a minus. I can see how this would catch brush given the texture, though my gaiters would help. All in all, for utilitarian hunting clothing, these are freakin' comfortable.

I might keep the stratus set and the guide or axis jacket and with my existing pieces of gear should be able to cover a lot of temp ranges (maybe down to 20ish?) and a lot of activity levels, i.e., Stratus for the stand, kuiu jacket and attack pants with base for the stalk.

Axis will be here tomorrow and the First Lite by Tuesday so will give you my impressions of those when they come in.

tracker12

WKR
I wish the Stratus Jacket had a fixed hood. I hate removable hoods on anything

OP
GoM_Coaster
I am not normally an indecisive person; this is ridiculous. Considering that the Guide doesn't do much overall, I was heading toward the Axis, but at that point I can get the Jetstream for the same price so it's on its way.

The solitude is likely overkill for most of what I do in Texas.

Keeping the stratus top/bottom and getting the Jetstream for more active occasions. Will use pants/hats/vests/gloves that I already have with it.

Might add a Traverse hoody.

I think I am zeroing in on a flexible kit that should that should do me pretty well for year round.

Thanks again for your help. My 9 year old daughter makes decisions faster than this.

OP
GoM_Coaster
Well, here's where I landed... went a little overboard, but the sales were so good it's like they were paying me to shop (combined with the mil/le discount got me to 42% off) .... that's how my wife always leads "well, they ORIGINALLY wanted..."

Base/warm weather:
Sitka Core Lightweight LS
Merino 220
Ascent

mid/outer:
Sitka Traverse

Legs:
Stratus Bibs (for me they are better than the pant with the ability to dump heat)
Kuiu Talus (heftier pants, not as beefy as stratus, but they sell these in 32 short)

Misc:
incinerator hat/Jetstream beanie/super fuzzy neck muff (The incinerator is a freaking great hat and that neck muff might be my favorite piece out of the whole kit), a variety of gloves I have around (traverse, badlands, banded, nomad)

The only question I have left.... I have both the Jetstream (which is great, wore for a 2.5 hour sit at 40 with Traverse and was just right)
and the Stratus.

I can send the Stratus back but am willing to keep it if it offers something better/different than the Jetstream, but it feels like the Jetstream can probably pull double duty (spot and stalk/sit with layers).

Of course, Sitka says, "well they are designed to do entirely different things and the stratus is way warmer," any thoughts on keep them both or using the Jetstream as a "do it all" jacket?

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
If it's not a question of money, keep both. The Stratus will out do the Jetstream in most situations so that's my pick if I'm keeping one. I just can't find a legit reason to add the Jetstream and I've tried! An everyday solid is where I could use it but prefer my Stratus for hunting.

OP
GoM_Coaster
If it's not a question of money, keep both. The Stratus will out do the Jetstream in most situations so that's my pick if I'm keeping one. I just can't find a legit reason to add the Jetstream and I've tried! An everyday solid is where I could use it but prefer my Stratus for hunting.
Yeah, after hunting with the jetstream I got home and picked up the stratus and could really feel a difference. could return the jetstream.... ooops took the tags off! tee hee happy holidays!

I love my stratus set and just ordered the jetstream in elevated. I can already see the same issue you point out…how to use??

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
if you hunt in the open air, not in a blind, then the Jetstream will do you a bit better in precipitation. The outer material will resist water better longer. Beyond that, I see no need for it. The Stratus fits as well, is just a windproof, and is measurably quieter. And if you like hood versatility, you can remove the Stratus hood.

The jetstream isnt quiet imo. I have a gen 1 solid color and that is downright noisy. The gen 2 isnt bad but no idea why i would bowhunt w it instead of other jackets i have. I suspect it will be worn on scouting missions etc

Actually i bet it would work nice under a woodbury etc top that doesnt have wind protection, although i do realize its best to have the windlayer on outside

tracker12

WKR
I pretty much wear the Jetstream as my outer on all my hunts 50 degree and lower. Temps dictate what I wear under it. I have the Stratus pants but like the wind blocking capability of the Jetstream better for my top.