Sitka Stratus vs FL Catalyst Whitetail

Squirrels

WKR
Stratus, and it's not even close. I have real world experience with both. Catalyst fabric is nice and it's fine until any wind at all kicks up, then you are going to need to dramatically increase you layering to stay warm when comparing to the Stratus.

OP
quackaddict
Thanks a bunch for the info. Does the Stratus breathe worth a crap with the layer of wind blocker? I don’t know that I’d really be expecting it to for treestand hunts anyway, but I know the Catalyst does breathe pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Long Cut

WKR
I’ve worn stratus pants with no base layer in the 20’s with 15 mph winds and was fine.

Stratus bibs with a stratus jacket is probably the best all around deer hunters setup no questions. You’ll be covered from 15-45 imo

OP
quackaddict
Probably should have added too, I’m in South Carolina, so we don’t have much in the way of extreme weather.

Used catalyst for a few years, and just finished first season with stratus and that was hands down better.

As far as breathability goes, I didn't hike much in it, and it probably wouldn't me my first choice for an active / hike based hunt, unless it's real cold. Catalyst breathes well in active situations but that's also it's biggest downfall I think too.

Squirrels

WKR
Used catalyst for a few years, and just finished first season with stratus and that was hands down better.

As far as breathability goes, I didn't hike much in it, and it probably wouldn't me my first choice for an active / hike based hunt, unless it's real cold. Catalyst breathes well in active situations but that's also it's biggest downfall I think too.
My exact experience with the two as well.

Stratus is pretty versatile. layer underneath correctly, and it'll get you through about anything. The catalyst is nice, and definitely breaths better. However, it lacks the wind stopper, and that was a deciding factor for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I’m backwards I guess. I’ve had both of you do any walking you better pack the stratus and it’s heavy. It does not breath. I’m not a big believer in the necessity for a wind stopper. I tree stand hunt in western hunting style clothes. 18* 25mph north west wind. No wind through. Merino base grid mid catalyst pants puffy pant and jacket. All day no wind got through and only around around my eyes could feel the wind

Thanks a bunch for the info. Does the Stratus breathe worth a crap with the layer of wind blocker? I don’t know that I’d really be expecting it to for treestand hunts anyway, but I know the Catalyst does breathe pretty good.

I have the stratus beanie and absolutely love it in colder weather. It makes a huge difference