Stratus with Layers vs Fanatic

jj554

Lil-Rokslider
The fanatic looks to be just an insulated stratus with some cool features. For those of you with these Sitka jackets, in terms of warmth, is there any difference between the fanatic on its own and the stratus with a quality down or synthetic puffy underneath? Does the stratus quiet the noise of the puffy?

I’ve never worn the puffy under it but I really like my stratus with layers vs the fanatic it just feels big and bulky and I’m not a fan

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
I second the above. I wasn't a huge fan of the Fanatic either and just layer my Stratus. I wear a puffy underneath when it gets that cold and haven't had an issue with noise.
I do however climb into a Heater Body Suit for gun season in Upper Michigan.

OP
J

jj554

Lil-Rokslider
I second the above. I wasn't a huge fan of the Fanatic either and just layer my Stratus. I wear a puffy underneath when it gets that cold and haven't had an issue with noise.
I do however climb into a Heater Body Suit for gun season in Upper Michigan.
Did you size up to be able to fit the puffy underneath? Some guys on here say that the sleeves on the stratus are too narrow to user heavier layers.

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
Yes and no. I'm typically between an XL and XXL, so the 2X works. But that is true about the sleeves. I however have no issue with the puffy underneath. If I don't wear the puffy, it's typically a merino base layer and the FL Furnace 1/4 zip.

Attachments

• Ten.jpg
    Ten.jpg
    714.1 KB · Views: 49
I prefer to wear the Fanatic vest over the Stratus jacket for windy and cold. If it's not windy I prefer layers under my Fanatic vest other than the Stratus jacket. I did not like the Fanatic jacket. This is for bowhunting Kansas. During rifle season I don't wear either. I wear an older Russell APXg2 Whiteout suit that feels like a big cozy sleeping bag.

The Fanatic vest is my favorite piece from Sitka. It has to be really warm for me not to wear it. I love the layout with rangefinder pocket and kangaroo pocket.

Reedler

FNG
I have both the stratus and fanatic sets, and I prefer the stratus with insulating mid layers. The fanatic jacket and bibs are quite bulky when packing in. That is my main drawback. I can get almost the same warmth without so much bulk wearing the stratus and appropriate insulating layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all depends how hot or cold you run. The thing is if I’m you I’d go fanatic and then I don’t have to put a bunch of stuff under it.

The fanatic looks to be just an insulated stratus with some cool features. For those of you with these Sitka jackets, in terms of warmth, is there any difference between the fanatic on its own and the stratus with a quality down or synthetic puffy underneath? Does the stratus quiet the noise of the puffy?

Im not sure why because I thought the same thing you did, but no matter how many layers i put under the stratus, it is never nearly as warm as the fanatic.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have the fanatic and stratus with the puffy. The stratus w/puffy is more versatile, but the fanatic is without a doubt warmer.

OP
J

jj554

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer to wear the Fanatic vest over the Stratus jacket for windy and cold. If it's not windy I prefer layers under my Fanatic vest other than the Stratus jacket. I did not like the Fanatic jacket. This is for bowhunting Kansas. During rifle season I don't wear either. I wear an older Russell APXg2 Whiteout suit that feels like a big cozy sleeping bag.

The Fanatic vest is my favorite piece from Sitka. It has to be really warm for me not to wear it. I love the layout with rangefinder pocket and kangaroo pocket.
The fanatic vest seems like a good compromise between the two. Thanks for the input.

bwc33

FNG
I'm a big fan of my fanatic jacket. Very warm here in Ohio when the temperature dips, and I don't have to wear much underneath.

I have worn both in southern OK and i agree the fanatic is warmer than stratus with puffy/insulated mid layer.

Honestly when temps are 65 down to about 40, the stratus with or without a solid mid-layer is the bomb.

When it gets below 35, i will always don the fanatic and the closer it is to 35-40 the less i wear under it, from a base layer all the way up to a base layer two mids or a puffy when it is low double digits (been down to 11 degrees with it for a calm morning hunt).

My legs i typically will wear stratus pants or bibs. As it cools i like the bibs for the extra coverage. I wore the bibs down to that same 11 degree morning with a pair of net bottoms, merino over, and puffy pants (kuiu super down pro) under the stratus bibs and that kept me warm. Feet got cold before my body.

The stratus material quiets pretty much whatever is under it, within reason. I was bowhunting and had to stay reasonably still for two reasons, it was incredibly calm so there was no ambient noise save for animals, and the clothing when that cold does make a slight noise by itself. But i could have easily moved to shoot within 20 yards no problem.

I’ve had both, the fanatic is definitely warmer. Personally I’d wear the fanatic before the stratus with a puffy. Although I wear the fanatic mostly if I can simply because of the hand warmer pocket. Wish they would revamp the stratus and give it the cross zipper to allow the hand warmer pocket and it would be “to me” the perfect whitetail jacket and I could sell all my others