Sitka: Timberline, Cloudburst or Something Else?

Swamp Rat

FNG
Looking for a versatile Sitka top. I generally wont be hunting anything above 60 degrees. I also do not do long pack type hunts. I do not generally get sweaty or excessively warm while moving. I am warm bloded so, the most I would layer you be a next to skin baselayer and a waffle-style top.

I was looking at the Cloudburst as an all-around jacket. Zip pits are a welcomed feature. I also like that it is waterproof. Breathability is important but, not a deal breaker, as it has zip pits and I dont sweat too much. I would be using it to block wind during long turkey hunt sits as well as rain/snow in the fall into winter. How does it fit wise compared to a Timberline? I just got a Timberline jacket in Ground Forest size M. It "fits" but, is pretty snug. I chose the Timberline over the Jetstream because of the reported fit. How does the Timberline and the Jetstream compare fit wise?

I have an odd body shape. 6'0 180 with most of my weight in my legs and ummm...backside. I generally wear a M in jackets/outerwear (North Face, Columbia...) and am able to layer under them. According to the Sitka sizing chart and also talking to Sitka CS, seems like a M should have done me in. I can wear the medium but, seems a little tight for me. I have no frame of reference as this is my first Sitka top. Logical choice would be "get a large you dummy". Problem is finding the Timberline, Cloudburst or Jetstream in a L in Ground Forest.

I have dug into the forums quite a bit and decided to make an account. I have used other forums like Tackle Tour (fishing). I see this is a very responsive community and am looking forward to learning from you all as I continue to post.

Thank You

Jetstream. You’re probably at least a large in it. I’m built like you minus 10lbs and I’m a large. I’m a medium in every other top by every other brand but I guess Sitka/Jetstream runs small. It’s a crazy versatile jacket and has a laminated wind stopper layer, which is fantastic.

OP
Swamp Rat

Swamp Rat

FNG
Yeah. The Jetstream seems nice and is in most people's kit. I really like the Ground Forest color and suits well for the dark, conifer swamps I frequent. Too bad it is being discontinued.

The Timberline I have (BNWT) I am wearing as I type. It has many of the same features as the Jetstream. I think a L would work perfect. I do think I could make the M Timberline work but, not ideal.

Has anyone experienced the difference between sitkas' jetstream and mountain jacket?
I ha e both.

Mountian jacket is a breathable wind shell. No insulation. Very simple build as far as pockets and no hood.

Jet stream is a moderately insulated soft shell. Has a bit of warmth, more pockets and overall more features.

Neither are super warm but the jet stream is much warmer. Of the two, I use the jetstream much more. That might change if the mountain had a hood.

OP
Swamp Rat

Swamp Rat

FNG
I ha e both.

Mountian jacket is a breathable wind shell. No insulation. Very simple build as far as pockets and no hood.

Jet stream is a moderately insulated soft shell. Has a bit of warmth, more pockets and overall more features.

Neither are super warm but the jet stream is much warmer. Of the two, I use the jetstream much more. That might change if the mountain had a hood.

The discontinued Timberline jacket is as close as you'll get.

It'll probably be a little difficult to find someone who'd be willing to part with one of those then. The jet stream seems like it wouldnt be to bad of an option as an active cold weather jacket.

OP
Swamp Rat

Swamp Rat

FNG
It'll probably be a little difficult to find someone who'd be willing to part with one of those then. The jet stream seems like it wouldnt be to bad of an option as an active cold weather jacket.

I ended up getting a Timberline in Ground Forest size M. I can do the M but, would much prefer a L. Jetstream I would like too because I hunt colder weather.

OP
Swamp Rat

Swamp Rat

FNG
Jetstream. You’re probably at least a large in it. I’m built like you minus 10lbs and I’m a large. I’m a medium in every other top by every other brand but I guess Sitka/Jetstream runs small. It’s a crazy versatile jacket and has a laminated wind stopper layer, which is fantastic.

For the Jetstream, how are you able to layer with a L? Do you have any other Sitka tops to compare to fit wise?

I've used the Kelvin lite hoodie for a couple yrs and love it. Used it for geese, ducks, deer, mulies, turkeys and anything else I've hunted lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

For the Jetstream, how are you able to layer with a L? Do you have any other Sitka tops to compare to fit wise?

I can put a fleece or puffy under it but not both or I start to compress insulation. My goal was to layer it over a M Kuiu Kenai and I’m able to do that. Double pit zips

It’s my only Sitka top unfortunately but I’m very solidly a medium in every other hunting brand top. 40” chest.