Sitka vs Kuiu

I've looked through a lot of threads and haven't found the answer to my question so maybe some of you can help.

I'm looking for a synthetic base layer for 2nd season in CO. I have plenty of merino and merino blends but don't like merino in the cold. I am looking at the KUIU Peloton 118 zip-t and the Sitka Core Midweight zip-t. I am 5'-10" and 160 lbs. I'm right between a medium and a large on a lot of shirts. In Kuiu I wear a medium base layer, large merino was way too big, but a large mid layer (strongfleece 210). In Sitka I have a size large timberline jacket and large Jetstream vest that fit me well. I had a core lightweight hoodie in Medium that fit me well except for the length. I really need a MT but they don't offer that size in the midweight.

My question is will the midweight zip-t fit the same as the lightweight hoodie? How does the Peloton 118 compare? I know that the Peloton is a lighter weight. I'd consider the Peloton 97, but I had one in size L and it was too small! I also dind't find the 97 to be very durable, but was definitely warm for it's weight. It's really hard for me to find the right fit and don't want to spend a ton shipping things back and forth. Any help would be appreciated.

peloton 118 is more of a base layer and the sitka mid weight is a mid layer i have the 118 in a xl and its plenty big and i large in the sitka and its tight but not too tight i'm 6'4 250

OP
coyotecreek
My biggest concern is length. A baselayer should be able to be tucked into your pants. I'm worried that if I go Medium it will be too short, but if I go large, it will be too baggy. If you are 6" taller and 90 lbs heavier than me and can wear a large then maybe a Medium is best. Thanks

j33

WKR
118 adds no warm, just a wicking baselayer. It's wicking ability is great, but it's stinkier than my Sitka Lightweight Hoodie. Sitka Core Midweight looks like a fleece to me so will add warmth vs no warmth of the 118.
I bought a cheap Eddie Bauer baselayer shirt and was surprised how good that wicked sweat and didn't stink up too bad at all, I think next time I'll just buy a few of those vs a 118.

My XL Kuiu 118 short sleeve is tighter fitting than my XL Kuiu 125 SS (Merino) which is similar fit to Sitka XL lightweight hoodie.

I'm 6'1", 220lbs with longer legs and average length torso.

OP
coyotecreek
the kuiu does have a longer torso then the sitka

That's what I wanted to know, anyone use the Peloton 97 as a base layer? I think I'd want something that has a little insulation. I'll be wearing it under a strongfleece 210 and then can add a vest, hard shell and down puffy for glassing if needed. Maybe I should just get both the 97 and 118!

j33

WKR
That's what I wanted to know, anyone use the Peloton 97 as a base layer? I think I'd want something that has a little insulation. I'll be wearing it under a strongfleece 210 and then can add a vest, hard shell and down puffy for glassing if needed. Maybe I should just get both the 97 and 118!

97 might get stinky quickly if you’re on a multi day hunt

OP
coyotecreek
Sounds like the 118 is what I'm after. I have a Pro Merino 200 hoodie that I could wear over the 118 and under the strongfleece if needed, and then I could add the vest, timberline, down etc. Thanks!

jfs82

WKR
I wear a 150 merino, peloton 97 and a lighter softshell (kuiu rubicon) down to pretty darn cold temps, but I run hot no matter what. (With a beanie to replace what genetics took). The 97 is shockingly warm for how thin and light it is.

gelton

WKR
Under Armour lol...I have pairs of under armour synthetics that are 10+ years old and just wont die as much as I would like them to. I personally feel just the opposite, merino wool keeps me warmer than synthetics, but if I HAD to have synthetics, I dont know that I would pay the vig to have Sitka or Kuiu when Under Armour has served me so well from a longevity standpoint.

OP
coyotecreek
Under Armour lol...I have pairs of under armour synthetics that are 10+ years old and just wont die as much as I would like them to. I personally feel just the opposite, merino wool keeps me warmer than synthetics, but if I HAD to have synthetics, I dont know that I would pay the vig to have Sitka or Kuiu when Under Armour has served me so well from a longevity standpoint.

I've got several sets of under armour, but it's heavier and more for stand hunts. My lighter weight stuff has been confiscated by my 15 year old son! I like merino for warmer hunts and like that it keeps me cool when it's warm, and warm when it's cool. I just didn't have anything for an active cold weather hunt. I didn't want to wear mernio that's going to absorb sweat and chill me when I stop moving. I ordered the 118 this afternoon. I'll give a review after the season. I almost ordered another core lightweight hoodie, but I decided to try the Peloton. It's so hard to find info about how these pieces fit. Thanks for the responses and keep them coming!

Last edited:
OP
coyotecreek
Rather than start a new thread, I'm going to recycle this one. I went with the Peleton 118, actually bought two of them. and I like them a lot. They don't ward off the stink like they advertise, but they wick sweat really well and are very comfortable. Fit is better for me than the Sitka CORE lightweight also.

My next questions is about mid/outer layers. I have been doing well with the 118, a Kuiu Pro-Merino hoodie, and strongfleece 210. If it's colder I have a Kenai vest and Jetstream vest, and also a Sitka Timberline jacket. This gets me to around freezing if I'm sitting still for a long period of time. I want to know about mid/outer layers for late season. I'm hunting about half the time on the ground and half the time from a treestand. Temps can get into the teens or lower.

I'm looking at the Sitka Traverse Cold Weather Hoodie, Kelvin lite hoodie, Kuiu Strongfleece 280, and the Jetstream Jacket. I feel like the Jetstream is the most versatile so kind of leaning that way but how much warmer will it be over my timberline? Can anyone tell me how the cold weather hoodie or kelvin lite would compare to the strongfleece? I've owned the Stratus jacket and bibs and I liked them, but didn't like the outer material. I don't want to buy a dedicated treestand piece because I would only use it a few times each year. I'm looking for versatility and warmth that would be quiet enough for bowhunting. I've also tried the Uncompahgre and would consider the 2.0 as well.

I will mention that I also have an EB down puffy that I could wear with any of these.

Thanks!

hoytforlife

Lil-Rokslider
I've looked through a lot of threads and haven't found the answer to my question so maybe some of you can help.

I'm looking for a synthetic base layer for 2nd season in CO. I have plenty of merino and merino blends but don't like merino in the cold. I am looking at the KUIU Peloton 118 zip-t and the Sitka Core Midweight zip-t. I am 5'-10" and 160 lbs. I'm right between a medium and a large on a lot of shirts. In Kuiu I wear a medium base layer, large merino was way too big, but a large mid layer (strongfleece 210). In Sitka I have a size large timberline jacket and large Jetstream vest that fit me well. I had a core lightweight hoodie in Medium that fit me well except for the length. I really need a MT but they don't offer that size in the midweight.

My question is will the midweight zip-t fit the same as the lightweight hoodie? How does the Peloton 118 compare? I know that the Peloton is a lighter weight. I'd consider the Peloton 97, but I had one in size L and it was too small! I also dind't find the 97 to be very durable, but was definitely warm for it's weight. It's really hard for me to find the right fit and don't want to spend a ton shipping things back and forth. Any help would be appreciated.
IMO Sitka runs shorter than most

68Plexi

WKR
Rather than start a new thread, I'm going to recycle this one. I went with the Peleton 118, actually bought two of them. and I like them a lot. They don't ward off the stink like they advertise, but they wick sweat really well and are very comfortable. Fit is better for me than the Sitka CORE lightweight also.

My next questions is about mid/outer layers. I have been doing well with the 118, a Kuiu Pro-Merino hoodie, and strongfleece 210. If it's colder I have a Kenai vest and Jetstream vest, and also a Sitka Timberline jacket. This gets me to around freezing if I'm sitting still for a long period of time. I want to know about mid/outer layers for late season. I'm hunting about half the time on the ground and half the time from a treestand. Temps can get into the teens or lower.

I'm looking at the Sitka Traverse Cold Weather Hoodie, Kelvin lite hoodie, Kuiu Strongfleece 280, and the Jetstream Jacket. I feel like the Jetstream is the most versatile so kind of leaning that way but how much warmer will it be over my timberline? Can anyone tell me how the cold weather hoodie or kelvin lite would compare to the strongfleece? I've owned the Stratus jacket and bibs and I liked them, but didn't like the outer material. I don't want to buy a dedicated treestand piece because I would only use it a few times each year. I'm looking for versatility and warmth that would be quiet enough for bowhunting. I've also tried the Uncompahgre and would consider the 2.0 as well.

I will mention that I also have an EB down puffy that I could wear with any of these.

Thanks!

In regards to the strong fleece 280, it’s an interesting piece. I picked one up to wear as an outer layer because I’ve ditched my soft shells and wanted something light with a little wind/water resistance. I can’t layer much under the arms as they are a little tighter than my other kuiu mid layers, but a base layer and vest fit perfect. It’s also got thinner material under the arms which is nice for releasing some heat while moving but I can feel a little chill there when I’m not moving. I like the fleece and It’s got a place in my layering system for now. Can’t speak to the Sitka traverse or equivalent. Hope that helps some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StoneyWV

FNG
Classified Approved
I would look at the Sitka fanatic hoodie. I have used this as a heavy base layer for fitment under my cold wether Fanatic outfit now with great success. It's warm, has a long zip in front to open it up to keep ventilated during walk in, has the built in face mask and hood if you get surprised by wind. I have the Sitka Mid weight and Heavy weight mid layers yet I always come back to the Fanatic Hoodie as the fit and function are just perfect for long walks to a stationary stand for long hours.

TBHasler

WKR
The traverse cold weather hoodie is possibly my most versatile piece for cold weather/late season hunting. It is WARM. Not great for moving much in because I heat up too much, but I can carry and put on when stationary or in stand and add puffy or soft shell windproof over it and stay warm well below freezing.
It is pretty good at bucking wind by itself and it is quiet to move in. Completely worth the $199 retail they ask for it.
I don’t take it on any Sep hunts but for later season when it IS cold, it always comes with me.

TBHasler

WKR
Also, on your question about timberline vs Jetstream jacket, the Jetstream is warmer and I consider it a substantially more robust piece. Both have wind stopper and they cut the wind but the jetstream over base layers and traverse cold weather hoodie can keep me warm into the 20s.

OP
coyotecreek
Thanks guys, I wish I could look at these pieces up close, but I live in BFE so I’ll have to order them and send them back if I don’t think they will work. Thanks again!

StoneyWV

FNG
Classified Approved
If you take the time to order them used off these forums, you won't loose any money if your dissatisfied with it. Most of the big 4 companies have free returns as well I believe.

j33

WKR
I sold my Traverse after using it around the yard in the winter. Very good at stopping the wind and very warm, just didn’t fit into what I needed for a mid layer. It needs to be a full zip, I substituted it with a Peloton 240 and I’m much happier.

When going to a heavier mid layer full zips are great.