Sitka WS Kelvin hoody

freebird

WKR
I just purchased the Sitka WS Kelvin hoody. It’s a nice coat but I have a hard time believing it’s as warm as people claim. I don’t remember reading that it had a bill on the hood. Am wondering if maybe I should have either got the LPP or first lite chamberlain.
maybe I’m just doubting spending that much on a coat.

*zap*

WKR
It really holds the body heat in plus the warmth of the jacket itself. I have worn mine to the gym a few cold evenings and coming out after a hot sauna/shower with the K hoody on and the hood up the vehicle windows barley fog up at all as compared to any of my other cold weather jackets. The difference is very noticeable.

LJ Buck

WKR
It’s warmer then the LPP. Not sure about the chamberlen I haven’t tried that jacket.

I'm very happy with mine. Used it alot this fall/winter in sub zero temps. So far i've never gotten cold with it on, with minimal layers underneath.

Kotaman

WKR
It falls somewhere between the LPP and Chamberlain in warmth but the to me the WS is more "weather resistant". For me it is the perfect cold weather puffy. A little too heavy for the early season, but for Kodiak and late season it is my "go to". (And I have PLENTY of choices when it comes to Puffy's :)

DSY_WA

FNG
Fair enough! Would be cool to see if you could compare that jacket against a Kuiu Super Down, especially since the Kuiu jackets seem to go on sale around Black Friday.

Fair enough! Would be cool to see if you could compare that jacket against a Kuiu Super Down, especially since the Kuiu jackets seem to go on sale around Black Friday.

My WS is warmer than my Super Down by a fair bit. I first noticed the difference inside of 35 degrees while glassing. It also cuts wind better.

DSY_WA

FNG
My WS is warmer than my Super Down by a fair bit. I first noticed the difference inside of 35 degrees while glassing. It also cuts wind better.
Good to know, I've been keeping my eye on the WS for a while.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
Does it pack down very well? My buddy says his is huge. Been looking at it for a while. Definitely liking the idea of the primaloft gold fill material.

joe2687

FNG
has anyone used this jacket for whitetail treestand hunting? i am curious how this would work for those long hang and hunt walks for a less weight to pack with the stand and sticks?

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
has anyone used this jacket for whitetail treestand hunting? i am curious how this would work for those long hang and hunt walks for a less weight to pack with the stand and sticks?
Noise would be my concern especially if bow hunting from a treestand. Also what I've heard from a pretty reliable friend is that it's not as packable as one might think.

joe2687

FNG
thanks for the info. i need to get my hands on one and try it on.

after switching to a more mobile style of hunting a couple years ago, i am in need of some serious clothing upgrades to make things easier.

I was wondering the same thing about using it for treestand hunting. I have the jetstream and it makes more noise that I would have expected but not a deal breaker for bow hunting. Is the Kelvin WS the same outer material as the jetstream?

I don't think you would want the WS for treestand hunting whitetails as an outer layer. I just received 1 yesterday but can tell you it is not a fleece or quiet outer. Probable quieter than most puffys I own but not treestand material. Now if you are going to put something over the top than that would probably be OK. I have a kids version of the Jetstream for my daughter and that is more of a fleece material much quieter than the WS.

On a side not for those purchasing a WS I think this is 1 of the garments if you are in between sizes you can size down. I am 6' 220 and got an XL and it is plenty big. I normally wear XL in almost all shorts and jackets but this 1 is plenty big. I realize it is sized to go over multiple layers so I kept it and didn't try to exchange for a large.