Six Moons Lunar Vs Tarptent Notch?

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, looking at picking up a new shelter and wondering if anyone has experience with both or either one. Just looking on someone to sell me one or the other and what maybe they did/didn't like about them.

Thanks in Advance, John

I sold my tarptent to try the six moons lunar solo. I just set it up to seam seal, but am thinking about returning it. I don't like that the vestibule doesn't come down to the ground. There is at least one foot of gap between ground and rain fly. Also, it seems to blow around quit a bit in the wind. Not sure what i'm gonna do.

tttoadman

WKR
I have had the Lunar Solo for a few years. It is my favorite shelter. Bug proof, single pole, the high vestibule doesn’t bother me because it is only slightly higher than the bathtub floor. In crumby weather you just drop the pole a little and cinch up the rest and you can get it down pretty low.

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Notch, and will probably own it forever. It's the most comfortable, bulletproof 1 man shelter out there. It's big enough to get dressed in, and with the double wall you don't have to worry about rain getting in, or ending up in the mud. The vestibules are big enough to store all my gear(bow, pack, boots, etc) in one, and be able to heat up water and exit the other. With that said, I've debated getting a MLD Cricket Tarp type setup for warmer weather trips to shed a few ounces more. I've never bothered not carrying the whole Notch(liner and outer), although I know people that use only the fly for a simple 1 pound shelter.

dog812

WKR
I have the lunar solo. It's been good. Held up in some horrific winds.
But I recently pre ordered the Dan durston xmid from Massdrop... Check out the reviews, tons of great ones out there. Can't wait for it.
b3e9f39c46f21fa58f84f494610ebfcc.jpg

I think I am gonna go back to the tarptent Stratosphire 1. That tent is bomb proof and pitches very tight so very little flapping in the wind.

I have and have used the solo and it’s performed well. It’s a bit cramped on the 5-7 day hunts when you have a good bit of gear. I also find it to be a bit “shorter than I would prefer. I’m only 5’8” and my bag is pretty close to touching the sloped roof near the foot.
It’s a well made piece and fits well in the bivy hunt lane for me.

Tempe.243

FNG
+1 on the Tarp Tent Notch. Love the weight and how it packs. I ordered the support poles so I had the option of using the my trekking poles without having to take down the tent.