Skre Hardscrabble Pants Review

Rustynail

FNG
I recently ordered Skree hardscrabble pants. It was hard for me to decide what brand to go with. I wanted something comfortable without breaking the bank. I've been following Skre for the past few years but never made any purchases. Well after being in the market for some new hunting gear I bought the hardscrabble pants.

First thoughts
After getting the pants out of the box I was a huge fan of the camo (summit). The right amount of green mixed in with gray, brown, tan, and a hint of black. The pants felt soft to the touch but without losing durability. One thing I was not a fan about was all of the pockets. The pockets just seemed like there was too much going on.

Sizing
I personally wear a 34x34 in pants. I decided to size up and get a 36. The waist is a little big (as expected) but I usually wear a belt anyways. Skre also puts a rubber on the inside of the pants around the waistline. I was actually surprised with how well that helped to hold the pants up on my waist. The length was a little long (again as expected) but nothing that a pair of gaiters can't fix (Skre gaiter review incoming...)

The Test
The next step was to put the hardscrabble pants to the test. I put them on and logged 3 miles of hiking. I'll cut straight to the point; the pants are worth every penny. The pants were extremely comfortable allowing me to stretch and bend many ways without the feeling of being restricted. When hiking up hill I did not feel the pants holding my legs back. It was very nice to be able to vent the pants because I personally do run super hot. At first glance I didn't think I would like the pockets. They give you six pockets. Two zippered thighs, two zippered rear, and two normal jean pockets. I was wrong about the pockets. The thighs were perfect size to put my phone in (samsung s23). I like keeping my phone in a thigh pocket because it makes quick and easy access to get my phone in and out of a pocket. This works great for using phone to take pictures or to use maps. I like keeping my wallet in my back pocket along with any hunting or fishing liscense. Having a zippered rear pockets means I don't have to worry about those items slipping out while I hike or sit to glass. The zippers on the pockets and fly are all YKK zippers. The zip and unzip very smoothly. They have little paracord pulls which make it easy to pull even with gloves on (on mine I put heat shrink for better zippered pulls and I like the look). I used these pants in 35°f weather. The pants kept me super warm but not over heating thanks to the vents. With no base layers I bet these pants would be comfortable from 25° - 70°. These pants can give you a wide spread of compatibility with the weather. Throw in a base layer and you can go even lower!

Overall
To gather my final opinion on these pants; GET THEM. You will not be their price for what you are getting. The pants are a great bang for your buck coming in at $130. If you compared these pants to Kuiu, First Lite, or even Sitka you would be dropping $250-$350. The hardscrabble pants are very comfortable and allow you to bend and flex. These pants were exactly what I was looking for and I can't wait to enjoy them over the next few years.

Sent from my SM-S916U1 using Tapatalk

What temperatures will they be best at? Would you be able to wear them in summer and early season or are they too hot for that? Also they are on sale in the outlet for $65 right now.

Skre is the one camo company I have not tried, and I keep meaning to. I need some fleece lined pants for certain occasions, and they make a good looking pair

I don’t recall if they have tall sizing, I’m long legged, and it’s hard to find pants that fit me

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What temperatures will they be best at? Would you be able to wear them in summer and early season or are they too hot for that? Also they are on sale in the outlet for $65 right now.
While they are pretty versatile with the hip zips they are more of a mid weight pant and not ideal for summer.

I have worn them in early September but since I have both I prefer the unita pants when it's really warm out.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

While they are pretty versatile with the hip zips they are more of a mid weight pant and not ideal for summer.

I have worn them in early September but since I have both I prefer the unita pants when it's really warm out.

Appreciate the info. Have you tried the Kuiu Attack pant? They appear to be comparable to those but hard to tell without ever having my hands on the Skre.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Skre is the one camo company I have not tried, and I keep meaning to. I need some fleece lined pants for certain occasions, and they make a good looking pair

I don’t recall if they have tall sizing, I’m long legged, and it’s hard to find pants that fit me
They do offer a tall size. I really like the Kodiak pants the material is very similar to what they use in their soft shell Hardscrabble Jacket.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Appreciate the info. Have you tried the Kuiu Attack pant? They appear to be comparable to those but hard to tell without ever having my hands on the Skre.
Unfortunately I haven't tried anything Kuiu in a long time. I'll see if I can find a buddy with a pair to compare

They do offer a tall size. I really like the Kodiak pants the material is very similar to what they use in their soft shell Hardscrabble Jacket.

I’m pretty sure that is the pair I was looking at and planning on getting, thanks

They certainly deserve a chance, I have heard a lot of good things about their stuff, and little if anything negative. I appreciate competition in competitive markets like camo, and the only way to show that is to support them at least by giving them a chance

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m pretty sure that is the pair I was looking at and planning on getting, thanks

They certainly deserve a chance, I have heard a lot of good things about their stuff, and little if anything negative. I appreciate competition in competitive markets like camo, and the only way to show that is to support them at least by giving them a chance
I'd give them a call, at one time i think they might of had some type of try me program. Unsure of what programs they currently offer though.

I actually wear the Kodiak pants a bunch in later seasons warm fleece line and blocks the wind decently

I'd give them a call, at one time i think they might of had some type of try me program. Unsure of what programs they currently offer though.

I actually wear the Kodiak pants a bunch in later seasons warm fleece line and blocks the wind decently

What I just realized about them is very encouraging, I was bummed that the Kodiak pant didn’t come in 30” or 32” tall, but looked at the size chart and both have a 34” inseam, which is right at what I need

As far as the waist size, how do the Kodiak compare to other pants? They run a little big or small? I’m right between a 30” and 32” waist, from there it depends on the cut what fits me best

Most medium tall are a little big on the waist, but pretty much nobody offers a small tall, so most of my hunting pants are med/tall (for reference)

TWoch

FNG
I love mine. Wear them turkey hunting and through the fall. The first edition pants are 1/2 off on their outlet. Great customer service as well.

JB426

FNG
These look nice. Will definitely keep these in mind for the next pants purchase but the 34 inseam is slightly long for me.

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
The first time I went elk hunting I ordered a bunch of SKRE stuff to be used for whitetail as well. I looked into KUIU, Sitka and Firstlite, but that was just too rich for my blood. IIRC I got the hardscrabble, late season Alpine and ultralight Uinta pants, hardscrabble and ultralight jacket, merino 150 and 300 top and bottoms, and their Ptarmigan puffy jacket and pants.
I agree that their pocket situation is a bit messy, I don't care for the one pocket right in front of the other, usually I have pockets full of shit and it drove me crazy whenever say, two tins of chew lined up with one another and it pressed on my thigh. Petty complaint, but still mildly irritating.

Overall I love all their gear. I use it a lot more than I thought I would for fishing and as a SAR first responder. The puffy gear is probably about my favorite.