SKRE vs First Lite

Hplayer13

FNG
I think my choices are narrowed down to First Lite or SKRE for my early season CO archery elk hunt. I’m getting a full layering system. Any reviews on either? If anybody has any discount sites for either please let me know, I’d consider KUIU or Sitka if I found the right price

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
I recently did 1st full clothes makeover in long time. Went with a deal on Skre elk bundle. Paid what a Sitka parka on ebay would cost...
Fit & finish are fine. Camo pattern fits PJ country I live in well. Have not given a true workout yet.Waiting for a monsoon storm to see for sure.

OP
H

Hplayer13

FNG
I recently did 1st full clothes makeover in long time. Went with a deal on Skre elk bundle. Paid what a Sitka parka on ebay would cost...
Fit & finish are fine. Camo pattern fits PJ country I live in well. Have not given a true workout yet.Waiting for a monsoon storm to see for sure.
How much was the bundle?

Get some FL aerowool and pants. Buy a mountaineering jacket or two for upper layering. High quality gear and save yourself a bunch of money. Guys who’re head to toe in one brand are...you know...for many western hunters.

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
$700,from base to shell. Each piece was less than I could find comparable anywhere.
Base layer bottom alone is 1/6 what I spent on Smartwool that is failing after 9 yrs.
Not into the mono look and that is easily remedied by adding one piece I currently own. I don't wear camo unless I am out hunting and change as soon as I stop for the day. I will change if I can before going anywhere else but hunting.
I'm an old fart,and this was not easy purchase. I spent the same for a 700 Rem 30-06 35 yrs ago...

j33

WKR
When selecting clothing consider the weight. First Lite stuff is pretty heavy when you compare against other brands for the same warmth.

I think my choices are narrowed down to First Lite or SKRE for my early season CO archery elk hunt. I’m getting a full layering system. Any reviews on either? If anybody has any discount sites for either please let me know, I’d consider KUIU or Sitka if I found the right price

Bummer man, you just missed SKRE's entire lineup on camofire.com a couple days ago for like 40-60% off

GregB

WKR
I have the SKRE Hardscrabble pants and jacket, and FL Guide pants and some merino tops. The SKRE jacket and pants are great, really like the hip and armpit vents and the pants have a rubber or silicone band on the inside to keep them up and your shirt from untucking. The FL merino tops have worked well, I don't like the sawtooth and it runs pretty small. Also did not like the guide pants they are pretty noisy and don't have the features of the hardscrabble pants.

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
I had started just looking for new quality pants that are quiet. Most others sound like rain pants or jeans to me. Drives me nuts after being a blacktail hunter. My noise blew most of my hunts.
I tried the whole set on & went for a hike around the ranch in April.Snow & 40 deg. The side vents are cool..
Pants are pretty damn quiet. Not tons of noise from parka arms swaying.

Hondo

WKR
When selecting clothing consider the weight. First Lite stuff is pretty heavy when you compare against other brands for the same warmth.

What pieces are you basing this statement on? I have gear from Kuiu and Sitka as well as First Lite and have not found that to be the case as long as we are talking about apples to apples comparisons. If you are talking about merino vs synthetic, then that is an entirely different discussion.

Poser

WKR
$700,from base to shell. Each piece was less than I could find comparable anywhere.
Base layer bottom alone is 1/6 what I spent on Smartwool that is failing after 9 yrs.
Not into the mono look and that is easily remedied by adding one piece I currently own. I don't wear camo unless I am out hunting and change as soon as I stop for the day. I will change if I can before going anywhere else but hunting.
I'm an old fart,and this was not easy purchase. I spent the same for a 700 Rem 30-06 35 yrs ago...

9 years is a long time for merino to last. Your statement implies that you are disappointed in the Smartwool because it fell apart after 9 years. If you expect any brand of merino to last 10+ years of any type of reasonable use, you are going to be disappointed.

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
9 years is a long time for merino to last. Your statement implies that you are disappointed in the Smartwool because it fell apart after 9 years. If you expect any brand of merino to last 10+ years of any type of reasonable use, you are going to be disappointed.
I know and I rotate mine.It's what I wear in winter. But I was not real pleased with price or overall quality. I have 3 brands,4 now.

MNMatt

FNG
Also looking at the SKRE Hardscrabble Jacket & Pants. These feedbacks have really helped me.

Thank you,
Matt

I would go with the Skre. I think they have better QC out of the factory and have better features than Firstlites clothes do, such as the hip vents. FL shouldn't cost what it does.

I sold all of my FL and went with SKRE. Very happy so far. Definitely more value with SKRE. There a few things that SKRE lacks, but I bet they come out with them at some point, heavier weight jacket similar to the FL catalyst line, light weight/early season gloves, bibs and a heavier insulation type vest like a puffy vest or something.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Firstlites base layers are as good as it gets. In all weights they are my favorite base layers I’ve ever tried.

I’ve gone to other brands for pants and jackets although I do like the Firstlite Grid Fleece as a mid layer. I think it’s called the
Klamath. That’s a nice snug fit piece that adds warmth, dries out super quick, and is easy to layer over with a puffy.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Figure out your base layers, then pick up a vest, jacket, and pants from Gulch Gear. USA made, except for the Toray material. Cost is cheaper than most of the stuff made in china taiwan phillipines etc. Brian also offers pants sizing in standard sizes like M L XL etc, plus specific sizes like 32-34. That was ideal for me because I wear 32-34 in all my pants, but medium or large pant sizes never fit. You can even look on the website and see how much profit he makes on each piece of gear, down to what each zipper costs him.

RMBHS

FNG
I love First Lite, but you can get away with cheaper options that perform the same, like SKRE. Like mentioned above, watch camofire, as they seem to run deals fairly regularly on them.

Block

WKR
I love all my SKRE gear.,,the puffy is my favorite piece of clothing I own.. first lite is great cuz they make earth tones that mix well with ANY camo pattern. I have mostly SKRE with a few first light coyote pieces mixed in

SKRE has my business for life. Their clothing is high quality, affordable, and their customer service is 2nd to none. I bought my first bundle a couple of years ago and have been adding pieces as I go.