Skull cleaning preference question

WKR
I've been cleaning a few skulls the last few years for friends and family. Using maceration, a slow stinky process, it preserves all the fine nasal bones and causes no structural damage to the skulls. I always kind of liked seeing the little nasal bones intact.

Now have been studying up more and more on boiling methods and may give that a run. It will eliminate all of the fine bones in the nose but seeing some really fast and very white skulls with it. Also for out of staters, the skulls can be done in 24 hours and ready to go. Big advantage there.

So my question to any Roksliders who care to answer is, would you prefer a fast very white skull albeit missing nasal cavity bones, or would you prefer those bones intact and a 3-4 week turn?

scwilso35

FNG
More important to me than the cleaning process itself would be having the skull degreased. If not degreased most will start to turn yellow over time, or atleast develop grease spots. I would happily wait a few weeks for a skull that was degreased rather than one that was cleaned in a day or so then returned to me.

Jimss

WKR
First, I take out the nasal. Less chance for bug problems. I put my skulls in garbage bags for a few days outside covered where scavengers won’t get it. I can almost pull the meat and junk come off if temps are relatively warm. Warning. It smells super bad. I then let it sit in water with dawn soap and mule train borax for a few days. This generally gets rid of the fat and grease. The borax also keeps bugs from being a problem.

I hardly even need to boil the skull after this is done.

Final process is to use a brush to coat the skull with peroxide gel. You can also soak in liquid peroxide. This whitens the skull a little plus kills the smell. When using peroxide gel I often wash and let sit overnight a couple times until the smell is totally gone

I usually simmer/boil pretty much just at boiling temp.. never very long periods.. boop pick boil pick.. like others I’ll use a soap of sorts to soak for a bit and then hit it with 50% peroxide… the last (2) deer I did still had the nasal bones which I like as well… I did not takes pics of them but here’s a bear skull I did in about 6hrs ZERO smell or yellowing6554F788-21F5-4043-9AF9-6636F350862E.jpeg188D3C8E-0C2A-4291-AC3A-495ADEF8A34F.jpeg0E628F7E-3503-45B3-B337-05E487913587.jpegD572ECD3-4343-4922-BDEE-5602AD6E3040.jpeg

I have a propane cylinder that is converted to a steamer. Much easier than boiling and the skull doesn’t “cook” in it’s own grease. The hose has a gated wye, so I can do 2 at a time. Comes down to individual preference, but we’ve done numerous skulls with this method for several seasons (found dead heads, deer, elk, bear, antelope, a ram, etc.). Very versatile.

Attachments

• 1AE01EFA-DDA9-4730-ABE6-B9176E6DE99A.jpeg
    1AE01EFA-DDA9-4730-ABE6-B9176E6DE99A.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 7D1D6956-27D5-49B1-9516-6966C428C0FF.jpeg
    7D1D6956-27D5-49B1-9516-6966C428C0FF.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 58
I have boiled mine and I rip out the nasal bones just because I dont mind the look without them and I want to be sure I get all the crap out. I also use the pressure washer to blast it clean. I think it takes me about 4 hours and its on my wall. I also do not whiten them. I like the natural colors. Bright white looks fake to me.

Vail94

FNG
Soaking an antelope skull as I write. Simmered the skull for about four hours earlier today. Thorough pressuring washing to remove the tissue and now soaking in degreaser. Nasal cavity fully intake. Start the whitening process next. He’ll be on the wall in a couple of days.

Huntsalot

FNG
I prefer maceration. It's such an easy process, the extra time doesn't bother me. Bucks killed during milder temps definitely get finished much quicker than the Dec/Jan time-frame. It's as simple as changing water and making sure the aquarium heater stays on.

TSAMP

WKR
I also simmer/pressure wash. I think the biggest missed step is remove as much as possible while it's fresh. It simplifies the next steps greatly. I recently did a few turtle shells and this method allowed the scutes to stay on best. I tried one on a ant hill and that worked excellent as well, but keep it out of the sun.

I used to leave the nasal bones in but they tend to decay and fall out anyway in 10-20 years. I do it commercially and have tried various methods and the only way to clean a skull IMO for trophy display is via Peroxide boiling (Whitebone Creations method). All the other methods are a hassle and or waste of time. Super quick and turns out great.

WCB

WKR
I don't really care about the nasal bones. boil/simmer, clean, then put back in water with dish soap, a little peroxide and oxi clean. Comes out white enough...degreased and natural looking. Never been a fan of artificially bleached white skulls. Even ones sitting out in the sun for years have a tint to them.

PaHunter86

Lil-Rokslider
I have a propane cylinder that is converted to a steamer. Much easier than boiling and the skull doesn’t “cook” in it’s own grease. The hose has a gated wye, so I can do 2 at a time. Comes down to individual preference, but we’ve done numerous skulls with this method for several seasons (found dead heads, deer, elk, bear, antelope, a ram, etc.). Very versatile.

I would like to see this steamer set up! I boil mine now but change the water every time i pull the skull out to pick clean. This steamer deal might be the ticket!

Simmer and pressure wash for me. I tear out the nasal cavities and smash open the ear drum area also. IMO the nasel cavities offer no appearance benefit. I think it's more of a bragging rights thing.

Erict

WKR
I prefer to remove as much meat, tissue, eyeballs first, then simmer in Dawn dish washing liquid and Borax repeatedly until all tissue gone.

If you boil things like bear, coyote, fox, etc., you are likely to crack the teeth. They don't fall apart, but you will see the longitudinal hairline cracks.

I have had great whitening results using Baquacil, which is used by pool supply companies. Much stronger than many peroxides and won't deteriorate bone like I hear bleach will.
BAQUACIL_SANITIZER__51657.1646263642.png