Sleeping Bag for around $200 and pad

tkopperl

FNG
Howdy all!

I am looking for a good synthetic bag that will keep me alive and warm in 20F weather that is around $200. I am also looking for a good 3 season sleeping pad that is reasonably priced and reliable.

Currently for sleeping bags I almost bought the North Face The Cats' Meow bag, but figured I would ask you guys for an opinion first. Is this bag the best for the money?

http://www.amazon.com/North-Face-Sl...=1452578396&sr=8-1&keywords=the+cats+meow+bag

As for pads I have been looking at the Big Agnes, but with any air up pad there seems to be a lot of reviews about the pad leaking.

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Agnes-Ins...578161&sr=8-20&keywords=mountain+sleeping+pad

I've been using a Big Agnes IAC pad for about seven years now. Yes, I've had a few leaks in it. They are easily patched with Tenacious Tape. It's worked well for me. Each year I consider upgrading to a Thermarest NeoAir and then always talk myself out of it.

I have used cats meows for 20 years. Great bag at a great price. Not sure what your stature is but they don't have as much room in the shoulders as some other bags.

For pads I prefer a combo of closed cell foam and a self inflater or air pad. It gives me options and there isn't much of a weight penalty.

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
I would check out REI as well. Their bags are pretty good for the money and they have a 20 degree synthetic here: http://www.rei.com/product/879477/rei-lumen-sleeping-bag

I also use the combo system for pads of a closed cell and an inflatable for better protection to the inflatable and incredible warmth. I mostly hunt rifle season though so I like a very warm system. Tenacious tape is a must carry in my opinion as well.

Az wildcat

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a fan of klymit static v air pad, they're light weight and have a limited lifetime warranty. Plus 15 blows and the thing is inflated, they're a lot light then self inflated pads.

OP
T

tkopperl

FNG
Thanks everyone for the ideas!

I think now i'm leaning towards the klymit insulated pad and still the cats meow bag. I like the REI synthetic bags, but don't see much difference between those and the Cats Meow.

I really like the EE quilts in the Down versions, but it looks like on the synthetic version that there are no baffles. What prevents the synthetic fill from migrating to one end of the bag creating cold spots?

Deepshax

WKR
I picked up a Marmot Sawtooth (15 deg, down) from campmor not too long ago. I believe its priced right around $200 and they usually run a 20% off 1 item deal.

Lawnboi

WKR
Wiggys is another, cheap and reliable option, though a little heavier than the expensive stuff. A wiggys bag would allow you to get a decent pad as well. Plus the wiggys bags have some ground pad properties built into them just due to the firmness of the insulation.

Honestly for a decent sleep system, I'd recommend a closed cell sleeping pad with a 4+ R value, an SOL bivy, and as best of a sleeping bag as youc an afford after that.

A down Big Agnes 0F with a Q-core SL pad has treated me well. Warm, light weight and no slipping off pad.

For early season a thin cheap 40f kiddy synthetic unzipped and used like a quilt on top of an air core pad has served me well enough. Heck a lot of nights I end up on top anyway. I've even given thought to just packing a thin fleece blanket. But I like to sleep cool... not everyone is that way.
Hunt'nFish