Sleeping bag recomendations

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
IMO, you don't need a 0 degree bag, much less a -30 degree bag. You should be fine with a 15-20 degree bag (assuming a high quality sleeping pad). I will be taking a 30 degree quilt for CO first rifle. And, I would use the same quilt for 2nd-3rd rifle. Just with a high R-valued pad. I can always sleep in my puffy if it gets really cold.

For a "budget" sleeping bag, take a look at the North Face Cat's Meow 20. They can be found for around $150. It's a synthetic bag and a bit bulky. But, very solid for the price. Also, the Marmot Trestles 15 is a great bag in the $125ish range. I don't think I would go any cheaper than that.

If you really want a 0 degree budget-friendly bag, take a look at the Marmot Never Summer. Now you're in the $300 range. But, you are into down instead of synthetic.

Also, check the classifieds here on Rokslide. I've picked up some amazing deals on sleeping bags here. Best of luck in your search.

I’ve found the cats meow bag to actually be pretty decent. I used one on a short 5 day sheep hunt, a week long moose hunt and then a couple backpacking trips and while it’s not as roomy as my badger I slept comfortably. I’d reckon end one for anybody who needs a budget bag. I got mine in case I was going on trips with a really wet forecast and didn’t want to bring a down bag.

K5Hunter

FNG
I have been using the western mountaineering ultralite for about 3 years now and love it. I ordered from moosejaw as they were the cheapest at the time. Great colder 3 season bag for sure as many reviews say.

jd1006

WKR
I recently purchased an EE Convert Quilt in Apex with a 20 degree raining which can be used cinched and zipped to resemble a mummy bag or like a quilt. I went with synthetic due to the concern I had with scenarios that would get my bag wet. It seems like all the folks I listen to regularly on podcasts recommend synthetic for your do-all bag and down when the situation applies. Are there things that others are doing to prevent a down bag from getting wet? Is the DWR treated down effective in situations where it gets wet?

I spent money on a lesser bag initially ($250-300 range) and ended up forking out for a WM Terralite. Extremely happy I spent the money. Its an incredible bag that's very warm for those cold nights yet opens to a quilt if it's warmer than expected. Did I mention the resale is excellent if you chose to sell it?

Decker9

WKR
Love my WM antelope, but did just order a -7c bag from Taiga works here in BC. I know a few guys running them with high recommendations. “Almost” comparable to WM, but at half the cost I hear. I’ll be testing it out the first 2-3 weeks of august.

CO-AJ

WKR
Like many on here I can't say enough about WM. I have the Versalite with 3oz of overstuff. Rests on an Exped pad I think that has a 5.8 R value. I throw a silk liner in it and have yet to ever be cold. Outdoor vitals has liner's for nothing, and the WM bag and Exped are expensive but I dont see needing a bag again for a long time.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Stone Glacier Chilkoot 15! Warm, plenty roomy enough and just over 2 pounds.