Sleeping pad for warmth

peterk123

WKR
I have been keeping an eye out for a good insulated inflatable. But I started to think about using my lightweight inflatable pad and taking a foam pad, cutting it to size and use that inside of my sleeping bag? Or maybe take a foam pad, add a couple of straps so it can be used on top of the pad and not slide off. Good idea? Bad idea?

rayporter

WKR
shelf liner between the pads works wonders or you can add some silicone to the pads. smear it in strips across the pads and it will grab enough to stop the sliding.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Which mat are you currently using? Do you know the r-value? What temps will you be getting down to at night.

Adding a closed cell foam (CCF) UNDER your current sleeping mat can add anywhere from 1.5-2+ in r-value depending on which model CCF you use. We sell two different models, one designed for all season and the Plus if you need either winter conditions or want to be crazy enough to use it as your only mat. It's a good, cheap way to add extra insulation during early or late seasons. It also can pull double duty as a sit pad when you are in the field.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using an insulated klymit pad with a thermarest zlite on top of it. I've never had any real big issues with the zlite sliding off the klymit pad. You could always add a light weight bivy to keep everything tied together. I've thought about doing this but haven't yet.

archp625

WKR
If you are wanted a good lightweight sleeping pad that will work great in the winter and good in the other seasons get the Thermarest XTherm. I was to say it weighs 15 oz and packs light and is super warm in the winter.