Slicktrick quality control

Curious if anybody else has seen this. I’ve shot Slicktricks since the mid 2000’s off and on. They have worked out well for me over the years, and always been a quality head that flew well.

I bought a pack of 125 grain vipertricks for this year. I found that when assembling the broadheads, the ferrule and blades leave a gap between the retainer ring and the back of the ferrule. In my opinion, leaving an obvious weak point in the construction of the broadhead.

I contacted Slicktrick to ask them about it. They said, in layman’s terms, it was due to re-designing the broadhead to fix an issue with the blade, but it wouldn’t effect the performance of the broadhead.

Am I the only one who disagrees with this? The standards still fit flush, so I might still use them. But it left a bad taste in my mouth.

406unltd

WKR
I haven’t shot them in a few years. The last ones I bought was approximately 5 years ago. The washer does sit off the blades a hair before install. Once tightened down though they are fine. Relatively new issue I guess. I don’t buy for one second it won’t have issues on impact with that gap. I wouldn’t trust it. How do they spin for ya?

Attachments

• 11625CBE-D645-4A47-A3F8-8D8E63ACD394.jpeg
    11625CBE-D645-4A47-A3F8-8D8E63ACD394.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 52

Nored

FNG
I have had issues with the standards in ss not fitting into Easton axis arrows. 2 out of 4 wouldn’t fit.

OP
Arctic Hunter
I can crank down on them and it’s slightly better, but not much. I feel like I’m going to bend a blade and probably have to have standard diameter inserts, half outs, or broadhead collars. What got me more than anything was the response from the company.

They spin okay from what I can tell. Only tried spinning one.

I’ll probably just go back to VPAs or something more solid. Tons of good options out there.

Reactions: Zac

406unltd

WKR
I can crank down on them and it’s slightly better, but not much. I feel like I’m going to bend a blade and probably have to have standard diameter inserts, half outs, or broadhead collars. What got me more than anything was the response from the company.

They spin okay from what I can tell. Only tried spinning one.

I’ll probably just go back to VPAs or something more solid. Tons of good options out there.
That’s what I would do. I couldn’t trust it looking like that. What head do you use on your trad setup?

OP
Arctic Hunter
That’s what I would do. I couldn’t trust it looking like that. What head do you use on your trad setup?
I’ve shot multiple heads with a recurve over the years. Magnus, stos, Zwicky, helix, vpa, Simmons, and cutthroats to name a few. Mostly depending on what weight I needed.

WCB

WKR
Maybe they are ok and it is just aesthetic...I know I've had similar discussions with customers and I have quit trying to convince them of the truth. It normally goes something like "I bought this product and it doesn't look exactly like the one I bought a year ago, But I'm not the manufacturer or the expert that is why I contacted you guys." I ask for a picture and when I look at it I will tell them "I see what you are looking at. It is due to manufacturing variance and will not have any negative affect on the product or usage".

This is normally followed up with "B.S.! this isn't what I paid for and it is going to fail!"

Do you want to here the truth or be sold on it? FYI, I have had other heads do that and perform just fine.

Jethro

WKR
Arctic, does that even tighten up enough to keep the blades and/or washer from rattling? Something not right there regardless of what manufacturer said.

Is that the washer that came with the heads? Looks different, but I admit it could just be the pic.

OP
Arctic Hunter
Maybe they are ok and it is just aesthetic...I know I've had similar discussions with customers and I have quit trying to convince them of the truth. It normally goes something like "I bought this product and it doesn't look exactly like the one I bought a year ago, But I'm not the manufacturer or the expert that is why I contacted you guys." I ask for a picture and when I look at it I will tell them "I see what you are looking at. It is due to manufacturing variance and will not have any negative affect on the product or usage".

This is normally followed up with "B.S.! this isn't what I paid for and it is going to fail!"

Do you want to here the truth or be sold on it? FYI, I have had other heads do that and perform just fine.
You might not care…I do. To each their own.

Arctic, does that even tighten up enough to keep the blades and/or washer from rattling? Something not right there regardless of what manufacturer said.

Is that the washer that came with the heads? Looks different, but I admit it could just be the pic.

Yes, it’s still tight. It’s the washer that came with it.

ia bhtr

FNG
This thread had me nervous , so checked the 9 new SS Vipertricks I got for this year , they are all good , no issues with them

TheTone

WKR
I got some last year that are still in the package. I’m curious if they’re the new or old style. I can’t see how that gap between the washer and ferrule is a good thing at all