Slight modification on my Barney's freighter frame and bag?

USMC2602

WKR
Will be taking my Barney's freighter on my September moose hunt. Already messing around with my gear, which to me is about half the fun.

The pins that hold the bag to the frame are secured with split rings. Even sitting here watching the NCAA tourney on my couch, it's a bit of a PIA working with those rings. Would like to have an easier, but just as secure way to be able to take the bag off and on, etc.

I'm thinking I just get appropriately sized R-clips and replace the split rings. Regular cotter pins wouldn't be any easier than the split rings once you bend out the tails.

Any reason this would be a bad idea?

Voyageur

WKR
I don't have any experience with a Barney's frame, but use the R clips instead of the split rings on my Alps freighter. While I think the R clips are a more convenient option I did have one pull off the other day while hauling in a ladder stand. I had the two bottom sections strapped to the frame and just hooked the platform section of the stand over the top post on my frame....like you would do with a rifle sling. Apparently when I removed the platform section it must have hooked the R clip and pulled it off causing me to lose the pin. Not a big deal, but I guess that is why I carry extras of things like that.

OP
USMC2602

USMC2602

WKR
Thank you. I'll definitely grab up a few extra clips and a couple workable replacement pins, just in case.

cnelk

WKR
I have a couple similar packs [Kelty Cache Haulers]

Those pins and rings are noisy and rattle.
I carry a short length of tie wire wrapped around the frame in case I loose an R ring or split ring.

Also carry a small roll of electrical tape and tape them up so they dont rattle and they dont come off

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I had a pack board with a bag years ago that used one stiff wire rod that went through all of the pins along one side. Sounds good until the first time I used it t haul meat the end of that wire ripped a hole in my rain gear when I was trying to take my heavy pack off! I quit using the bag and bought some HD pins that are longer and use the split rings. I tape them as well and we use a light twine to tie meat on now. Still use that same old pack board!

OP
USMC2602

USMC2602

WKR
Well, after a trip to my local hardware store for R clips and some basic testing in the backyard, it's abundantly clear why Barney's supplies the basic split rings. Too easy for an R clip to be pushed or pulled out, resulting in pin loss. Will still order a couple extra sets of pins and rings from Barney's and I appreciate the tip on taping and the spare wire wrapped on the frame. I guess that's why they design gear for a living, and I clearly don't!

Last edited:

Voyageur

WKR
Well, after a trip to my local hardware store for R clips and some basic testing in the backyard, it's abundantly clear why Barney's supplies the basic split rings. Too easy for an R clip to be pushed or pulled out, resulting in pin loss. Will still order a couple extra sets of pins and rings from Barney's and I appreciate the tip on taping and the spare wire wrapped on the frame. I guess that's why they design gear for a living, and I clearly don't!
I was contemplating making this same post in regards to my freighter, but you beat me to it. I came to the same conclusion.