Slightest sign of pressure

SDHNTR

WKR
Finally found a great load for my .300wsm. I so want to be done as I do not enjoy load development one bit. And it’s an hour plus each way to the range for me. Load shoots half MOA easy. Good velocity and low ES. But about every one in maybe 6-8 shots I get the very faintest sign of an ejector mark. You really have to look for it. It was also in the 80’s as I was shooting, so hotter than normal. Shooting H100V which could show some temp sensitivity. No hard bolt lift at all. No flattened or cratered primers. Nothing else other than the super faint ejector circle or half moon every once in a while. Hornady brass, which I know isn’t the hardest. 45 thou bullet jump.

A half grain less showed no pressure, but seemed to be just out of the favored node.

Would you call it good? Or back off the powder charge a touch? I really would love to stop tinkering.

Last edited:

MT257

WKR
I had this happen too with my 300wsm. Shot nice dime size groups consistently with low es. I built the load at a warmer temp than I hunt and had ejector marks, I haven’t hunted with it but the pressure should be lower as I don’t tend to hunt at the warmer temps. Curious to see others answers.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I didn’t take any pics but I think I’d be hard pressed to get the mark to even show up on camera. Like I said it’s really faint.

Load is 63 gr H100v, 180gr Hammer Hunter, FPS is 2920-2935 with a 22” bbl. Nothing is out of the ordinary.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
So the case on the left has a mark between the 3 and the H. The one on the right has a mark after the Y. Very faint.

Attachments

• EEE0EA9B-D0E3-4CF8-A5FA-F479E94F45BA.jpeg
    EEE0EA9B-D0E3-4CF8-A5FA-F479E94F45BA.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 126

huntnful

WKR
Shoot em. That's nothing. And ejector marks aren't a sole indicator of pressure. I go off bolt lift. My dad's rifle left ejector marks with loads that were nowhere near max pressure.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
To be honest, I can't even make them out. The primers look fine.

I am a bit curious about the dings and gouges on the edges of the rims, though.
Well that’s just Hornady brass for you. Those rounds are only twice fired and have not been abused, dropped/ejected on the ground or anything.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Shoot em. That's nothing. And ejector marks aren't a sole indicator of pressure. I go off bolt lift. My dad's rifle left ejector marks with loads that were nowhere near max pressure.
Yeah, no hard bolt lift to speak of at all.

Chuckybmd

WKR
It seems like your paying attention to the right stuff. Tbh, I can’t see the extractor marks well in the photos. I wouldn’t classify those changes as highly concerning.