Slightly different Trail Camera Question

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
Some recent questions on trail camera use got me and buddy thinking. We are hunting OTC in CO in area we hunted last year successfully and were in elk bout every day pre-rut. We were able to stay in same area and hunt wallows and trails.

In this situation, does anyone take a few trail cameras in to help pattern the elk? We are in quite a ways so weight is a factor but was toying with idea of taking a few simple cameras in to watch a few pinch points/wallows and see when elk are moving thru. This would be during the hunt, not cellular (zero service), and only if legal in CO which I need to check. Hunting opening thru 8th. Getting in a full day early.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRD1911

WKR
if you're going in to check the cameras you're going to be there and able to see fresh sign if they've been in the area anyway. obviously won't know what and how big but I don't think the weight penalty would be worth it

I often hunt an area I am familiar with. I generally take four cameras to put out. My first day is about a 6 mile trek hitting areas to try to see where the elk generally are. Checking game camera lets me know what areas are getting more general elk traffic and if there is a or a few decent bulls around. Generally takes three days to get back around to them all. Sometimes my last day is running back to grab a camera. A few years I have just left one or two and picked them back up the following year. I generally mount them up higher out of the line of sight. When I only have 8 days I need all the help I can get.

dtrkyman

WKR
Why not? They will tell when animals are there sign will not. You could waste a bunch of time sitting a place at the wrong time of day.

Have not used them much for elk but surely would, get them out prior to season if possible.

11boo

WKR
I gave up on mine. Bear trash them, elk trash them and they are kinda a pain in general. 8 AA batteries. Still I got some cool pics.

STC_0031.jpegSTC_0378.jpeg

OP
Oilfieldmiller

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the feedback and the good insights! I may pick a few small cheaper ones. I’ve seen some that only take 4 batteries which would be more than enough for a week. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
Many of the cams that take 8 batteries will run on 4!

Find some Browning on sale, great cameras for the money.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Live action cameras (send picts to phone/device) can’t hunt animal the day or day after it’s spotted legally.

Edit: see you mention no service. Should be gtg there.