Hunting in the trees

For those that hunt in areas with limited high glassing areas what are some strategies when going in to a new area and looking to locate game? A lot of focus is on getting up to glassing spots and locating elk to make a play on when possible, but looking at an area that tops out about 10,500 and thick trees all the way up top in most of the surrounding areas. I'm imagining lots of scouting and walking to locate sign, hopefully active wallows, looking for saddles and other terrain features that might funnel movement, etc. The area comes with recommendations from friends which carries significant value, but considering how hunt strategy might change versus an area with more open or higher spaces.

Axlrod

WKR
Where are you that thick trees go to 10.5k? Most of the elk areas I have hunted the tree line is 8k or so.

Smoke10

FNG
I'd say you're on the right track, e-scout topo maps of the area first for saddles, funnels, etc.
Mark those areas you think would hold elk. Then put boots on the ground in summer to see if your e-scouting spots do hold elk/have elk sign.

Yeah need to know season/time of year to assess whether or not calling might be your best strategy. Setting up on a water source can be decent for places with limited sight distance but at 10k there is usually abundant water around in which case that might not be as effective. If calling isn't working and glassing highpoints isn't available you will just have to find feed, water, and bedding areas, and the saddles and terrain features they use going between those zones and set up somewhere. Or hope for some fresh trackin' snow.

Overdrive

WKR
I feel a lot of people think glassing in timber is hard, you can easily glass across a draw or canyon and find bedded or moving animals. I can't even tell you how many times I've glassed in thick timber and have found bedded animals a 100 yards away, move slow and glass ahead and to the sides. Most times I pick up an ear flick or an antler, I'm not looking for the entire body of an animal.

cnelk

WKR
Here's a short video I took last in Sept year - 10,000' and more trees higher in elevation.

You need to be able to read sign, set up with favorable wind, and know how to call.

And one of my favorite sayings...

"Your bubble of awareness needs to be bigger than your bubble of disturbance"

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You're obviously talking about rifle seasons, otherwise you'd be calling to locate during archery. Some years during rifle seasons you can still find bugling elk though.

But even in thick timber, there will still be some open meadows, wallows, and other areas where you can find good sign and elk. Or get above the trees or as high as possible and glass.

Marble

WKR
Elk are lazy and creatures of habit. Where they have had time they will create trails and follow them fairly tight. Learn the trails, note the tracks direction and the prevailing wind. They will teach you a lot if you are willing to learn.
This right here. They tend to also travel the path of least resistance.

When I try to locate animals, I'll survey the timber overall and choose the side I believe will be the most likely to have sign. Travel the edge, find fresh signs, and follow to animals.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

yfarm

WKR
Great video, the lead cow is always looking. Few years ago sitting on a hillside in the open on a game trail glassing a saddle and had 4 cows and a bull walk by 5 yds away. Froze, cows looked at us, we were downwind, walked by as did the bull which went behind a bush, was waiting to come out from behind the bush and the wind swirled and they were gone keeping the bush between us and them.

Laramie

WKR
Sounds silly but it works at times if you have a little snow- When you find fresh elk tracks, follow them backwards slowly and carefully. You have a better chance catching the next elk coming through the travel corridor than you do catching up to the ones that already went through. At minimum, you will learn how those elk traveled through the area so you can use the info on future days.

Sounds silly but it works at times if you have a little snow- When you find fresh elk tracks, follow them backwards slowly and carefully. You have a better chance catching the next elk coming through the travel corridor than you do catching up to the ones that already went through. At minimum, you will learn how those elk traveled through the area so you can use the info on future days.
Hmmm… never heard anyone say that before. I like it. Thanks Laramie.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
I'm always glassing in the timber, amazing what you can pull into focus even through a screen of close limbs. As stated follow the game trails which are primarily made by elk because they like to follow in a line. Deer not so much. Benches on north facing slopes, saddles that allow the animals to cross the ridge into another drainage without sky lining themselves, wallows, springs all are good places to locate elk. While you are in there snooping around definitely keep the wind and thermals in your favor. Beware of the thermals that change when contouring a slope, may be rising on the open slopes but as soon as you get into the dark draw they will still be dropping. Always carry your rifle in your hand if you are in close timber, no time to unsling or retrieve it from your pack. Keep your scope on the lowest power for the widest field of view. If you smell elk, they are close or were just there recently. My longest shot on an elk of which there have been many, was 140 yards, closest was about 10. If you are on tracks and the hooves are splayed out, they have been pushed and good luck catching up. If they are meandering around, they are feeding and can be around the next corner.

cnelk

WKR
What Laramie mentioned above is spot on.

Some of the best times to scout is right after a snow or between rifle seasons.
You can easily learn bedding areas, travel/escape routes etc.

These areas will hold true for the following year archery/rifle seasons.

I’d rather scout when there’s snow than late summer.

My last elk hunt was in an area where the locals hunt them like Michigan whitetails: ground blinds and tree stands. Visbility was .... ~30 yards? Except where the loggers had been thinning, then is was more like ~100 yds. Glassing in the rain for legs visible 10 yards away through the reprod was a blast.