Slimming down pack - MR Metcalf to SG 40/56 or Kuiu 3200?

Rican0624

Lil-Rokslider
40/56 is hard to beat. I have one on the krux evo frame and have sold a few of my others because I have no need for them, this one just fills so many roles. It can be packed up for long hunts and compressed down for a day pack. Super light and comfortable.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks JD619er. I wish I could try several out, but unless I order a bunch and wear them, I seem to be resorting to the objective criteria of weight. To that end, I was just trying to build out a light Kifaru pack, but the process seemed pretty complicated (to me, at least). Which of those that you have had did you prefer for feel?

Dropping the MR lid (14 oz) and replacing with the Kifaru lid (3.5oz) is a great suggestion if I end up keeping the Metcalf.

Do you have the daypack lid for the MR, with the tuck away shoulder straps? Because the standard lid weighs in around 8-9 oz., not 14.
I would stick with the Metcalf. When you have it loaded up for a big hunt and then if you knock something down, you will be in good shape to pack it out. A 3, 5 or 6 pound pack doesn't mean much when you are lugging 80+ pounds out of the woods. Comfort and durability are king.....it is a slippery slope, and if you want to go all in on the lightweight thing, EVERYTHING has to be scrutinized. It gets silly and expensive quickly.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Do you have the daypack lid for the MR, with the tuck away shoulder straps? Because the standard lid weighs in around 8-9 oz., not 14.
I would stick with the Metcalf. When you have it loaded up for a big hunt and then if you knock something down, you will be in good shape to pack it out. A 3, 5 or 6 pound pack doesn't mean much when you are lugging 80+ pounds out of the woods. Comfort and durability are king.....it is a slippery slope, and if you want to go all in on the lightweight thing, EVERYTHING has to be scrutinized. It gets silly and expensive quickly.

I don't know the difference between the two lids, I just have the one that came with the Metcalf that has the zippered pockets. I weighed it at 14oz - but that was with the extra straps and buckles that come with it and that are inside the zippered pockets. After I swapped out the Kifaru regular lid (which weighs a bit more than what is listed on the Kifaru site) and added the strap and buckle to make it fit, I ended up saving only 7.4oz. I know I could probably save more by cutting the extra straps, but I'm not inclined to cut up the bag in case I one day sell it.

I appreciate the advice on keeping the Metcalf. I've started a 12 week fitness program that includes rucking at least once a week. I will be doing that to make sure the fit is as I think and will probably keep it unless there is a problem with how it feels.

Yes, I did get bit by the LW bug and I've got my total/skin out weight to under 46lbs, including the MR Metcalf.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
You still cut almost a half pound without compromising safety or comfort.

I have a kuiu 5500 ultra. It’s probably only a couple ounces more that 4000 ultra. I started with an icon pro pack but I like the weight difference I get with the ultra.