Slow tikka bbl...how short is too short for a can

Vandy321

WKR
Does the rule of thumb for 25-50fps loss per inch of bbl length cut still apply with a can on the end? Have a factory tikka bbl in 7RM that I'm going to thread and form 1 a can for.

Would like to lose some inches From that bbl, it's a 7# rifle and the shorter I can go the better balanced it will be, that plus it's a late season elk rifle, and scrub oak and a long rifle don't mesh well.

Is there a rule of thumb for how short I can go but still get a full burn from the 7RM suppressed? Shooting 168 bergers at an already slow 2645 fps.

Thankin' you

Antares

WKR
You didn’t say what your current barrel length is but if you’re currently at 2645 I wouldn’t go any shorter.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Yeah fellas, it's slow as sh*t, but it's a hammer...and plenty in the tank for the ranges I can shoot a ultralight. My cow last week dropped in her tracks at 525.

Ignorant question but what I'm getting from you is that cutting say 4" off and adding a 6" can, I'll still lose that roughly 100-200 fps estimated?

Can always rebarrel I guess.

Antares

WKR
I’d go on the lower side of your estimate. 25 FPS per inch is a reasonable guess.

Holy smokes though, I didn’t know you could have 7 Rem Mag running in 2500 FPS territory.

Whatever, if it hits, it hits. If it’s suppressed, all the better.

Last edited:
I think I would be looking at buying a prefit with the exact specs you want rather than cutting down an already slow barrel. By the time you cut and thread the gun you have, for not a whole lot more you can get a new (hopefully faster) barrel exactly how you want it.

Does the rule of thumb for 25-50fps loss per inch of bbl length cut still apply with a can on the end? Have a factory tikka bbl in 7RM that I'm going to thread and form 1 a can for.

Would like to lose some inches From that bbl, it's a 7# rifle and the shorter I can go the better balanced it will be, that plus it's a late season elk rifle, and scrub oak and a long rifle don't mesh well.

Is there a rule of thumb for how short I can go but still get a full burn from the 7RM suppressed? Shooting 168 bergers at an already slow 2645 fps.

Thankin' you
I would definitely recommend a short barrel for what you're doing but I would start over and do it right.
The problem with a 7 RM in a tikka as I'm sure you know, is there's no room to seat thr bullet out for good velocity.
Also with a short barrel you're losing barrel length and burn efficiency with the longer case.
I put a 16" 6.5 saum prefit on my tikka and run 144 bergers at 2925 with a 9" suppressor, I can't tell you how sweet that thing shoots.

Mcgowan will make you a tikka prefit for like $375 with muzzle threads
I'm currently having one made for another tikka to run an 18" custom throated 7 wsm
I would recommend going that route or 7 saum. I can about guarantee you'd be sending 168s around 2800 with handloads

Ucsdryder

WKR
25-50 and 50 is closer. I wouldn’t go shorter with that barrel. Other issue with tikka barrels is that you might not have enough barrel diameter to mount the suppressor. Start over…

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I would definitely recommend a short barrel for what you're doing but I would start over and do it right.
The problem with a 7 RM in a tikka as I'm sure you know, is there's no room to seat thr bullet out for good velocity.
Also with a short barrel you're losing barrel length and burn efficiency with the longer case.
I put a 16" 6.5 saum prefit on my tikka and run 144 bergers at 2925 with a 9" suppressor, I can't tell you how sweet that thing shoots.

Mcgowan will make you a tikka prefit for like $375 with muzzle threads
I'm currently having one made for another tikka to run an 18" custom throated 7 wsm
I would recommend going that route or 7 saum. I can about guarantee you'd be sending 168s around 2800 with handloads
I sold my press and dies about 2 years back, regrettably so now, but just too little time.

7 WSM is supposed to be factory available but I've never seen it on the shelf. Thinking about going back to the 6.5 PRC or 280ai if I rebarrel, seems I can full burn in a 22" bbl and still be plenty effective out to say 500-600 on elk.

This is not my long range rifle, I doubled the price of a factory tikka to lighten it up to 7# w/the 4-16, so I'd like to be able to cut that bbl down to help it balance the best I can, it'll still be front heavy.

I may buy a press and get setup to reload again, which puts me into a 7 SAUM probably...Decisions, decisions.

Just starting to dig for info at the moment and I appreciate the input fellas!

I can't believe I'm saying this... But if you don't handload my second choice would be the 6.8 western.
It'll hit harder than a 6.5 and be more efficient in a shorter barrel

Thankin' you
Are you shooting the factory loaded Berger hybrids from Federal?

I am, rifle absolutely loves them.. but everything I ran through it, including hornady match was ~200fps slower than the box
Well that sucks. Mine is the same with the Berger hybrids but everything else is pretty close to box. If you wanted to stick with those the effective range is kind of deflating.

I had some decent luck with the 160 Trophy Bonded Tips and 150 Ballistic Silver Tips if you were open to switching it up for a bit more speed.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Well that sucks. Mine is the same with the Berger hybrids but everything else is pretty close to box. If you wanted to stick with those the effective range is kind of deflating.

I had some decent luck with the 160 Trophy Bonded Tips and 150 Ballistic Silver Tips if you were open to switching it up for a bit more speed.
I put a pretty large cow down last week at 525 yards from my backpack...she didn't take a single step. I'm fine with the speeds, just don't want to loose much more.