Smallest full framed turkey gun

ianpadron

WKR
Figured my fellow gear nerds would appreciate this...

Been shooting a Mossberg 500 pump, 12 gauge of course, for turks the past few seasons. It has a 20" barrel and last season I put a pistol grip on it. Super compact, dang handy...just a great no nonsense setup.

Wasn't light enough for my liking though, so I decided to look into sub gauges, especially after hunting with 20s and 28s exclusively in the uplands the past few years.

I was at a local gun shop the other day and saw the tiniest little shotgun I've ever seen, a Mossberg 510 Mini Super Bantam...18.5" barrel, LOP of like 10" lol. Overall length of like 34"...felt like a toy.

Did a little research and learned it accepts any standard 500 aftermarket stock, so I slapped an adjustable Phoenix Kick-Lite butt stock on it, and believe I have achieved turkey gun perfection. Will add a Bushnell TRS 125 on top and call 'er good.

Just a hair over 5 pounds all up, here it is next to the already compact 12:

20240115_163057.jpg

Very nice! I've been looked at the Stevens 301 to start using as a dedicated turkey gun. Currently have a Stoeger M3000 that pulls duty for ducks, dove, squirrels, rabbits, and turkey. That Bantam looks awesome, hope you enjoy it!

Fordguy

WKR
You could probably customize your own NEF (single shot action) and have a shorter turkey gun with a longer length of pull. I said probably because I don't want to make assumptions about anyone's abilities. It can definitely be done. Nice looking mossbergs though. I've wondered about shorter pumps for a while, but not sure I've ever fired more than 1 shot at a turkey.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
You could probably customize your own NEF (single shot action) and have a shorter turkey gun with a longer length of pull. I said probably because I don't want to make assumptions about anyone's abilities. It can definitely be done. Nice looking mossbergs though. I've wondered about shorter pumps for a while, but not sure I've ever fired more than 1 shot at a turkey.
Thought long and hard about the single shot route.

I mostly hunt in NW Montana and see lots of bears in some of my spots, so I like the option to have a turkey shell in the chamber and a couple slugs in the mag just in case. Not sure what Mr. Greenpants would have to say about that set-up but I hope he'd understand 🤣

Make sure you have the right choke in if you want to mimic that set-up of course.

Well done, OP. You built a fine turkey gun. I used the 510 Mini in 20 gauge for my red dotted predator shotty. I'm not much of a turkey chaser, but they seem ideal for that usage too. In the image below, the 510 is shown next to a Remington Mohawk-600, both with 18.5" barrels.

Attachments

• 510 Mini.jpeg
    510 Mini.jpeg
    305.8 KB · Views: 30
OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Well done, OP. You built a fine turkey gun. I used the 510 Mini in 20 gauge for my red dotted predator shotty. I'm not much of a turkey chaser, but they seem ideal for that usage too. In the image below, the 510 is shown next to a Remington Mohawk-600, both with 18.5" barrels.
Tell me about that red dot being mounted on your barrel, due to short LOP?

Looks like you have found the dynamic duo

Aimpoint's S-1 shotgun red dot mounts to the rib. Clever design that gets the dot lower than anything else. LOP isn't that short, maybe 12.5. It's a full-size stock with flip-flop pad.

Fowl Play

WKR
Figured my fellow gear nerds would appreciate this...

Been shooting a Mossberg 500 pump, 12 gauge of course, for turks the past few seasons. It has a 20" barrel and last season I put a pistol grip on it. Super compact, dang handy...just a great no nonsense setup.

Wasn't light enough for my liking though, so I decided to look into sub gauges, especially after hunting with 20s and 28s exclusively in the uplands the past few years.

I was at a local gun shop the other day and saw the tiniest little shotgun I've ever seen, a Mossberg 510 Mini Super Bantam...18.5" barrel, LOP of like 10" lol. Overall length of like 34"...felt like a toy.

Did a little research and learned it accepts any standard 500 aftermarket stock, so I slapped an adjustable Phoenix Kick-Lite butt stock on it, and believe I have achieved turkey gun perfection. Will add a Bushnell TRS 125 on top and call 'er good.

Just a hair over 5 pounds all up, here it is next to the already compact 12:

View attachment 659219
Nice, was just looking at something like this myself for my daughter. Only reason I did not go with the mini super bantam is due to the fixed choke and no drilled receiver (I run red dots on my turkey guns as well).

Went with the optic ready 500 in .410 and am purchasing a smaller stock for her to reduce the LOP to around 11 inches.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Nice, was just looking at something like this myself for my daughter. Only reason I did not go with the mini super bantam is due to the fixed choke and no drilled receiver (I run red dots on my turkey guns as well).

Went with the optic ready 500 in .410 and am purchasing a smaller stock for her to reduce the LOP to around 11 inches.
That's the nice thing about the 20, drilled and tapped, and removable chokes.

For double duty kiddo gun though, .410 is the way. I'm fully expecting this 5# 20 gauge to have some bark to it, even with the kick lite stock.

Fordguy

WKR
Thought long and hard about the single shot route.

I mostly hunt in NW Montana and see lots of bears in some of my spots, so I like the option to have a turkey shell in the chamber and a couple slugs in the mag just in case. Not sure what Mr. Greenpants would have to say about that set-up but I hope he'd understand 🤣

Make sure you have the right choke in if you want to mimic that set-up of course.
I'd probably feel the same way you do, but I doubt Mr. Green Pants would look kindly on slugs in the turkey gun. No bears here, but they won't even let me take along a 22 to shoot coyotes that come in when I call turkeys. I'm not willing to waste my turkey loads on coyotes.