Smoker/Pellet grill advice, recommendations for setup capable of low temps.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I’m looking to start smoking fish and Jerky. I’m interested in a setup that I can smoke consistently at a low temp. Let’s say 145-165degrees, but also able to run at higher temps for grilling and smoking other cuts.

I’m ok spending around 2k but only if I have to and the quality is there. I’m ok with a cabinet smoker or offset.

I prefer electric, but could go with propane. Have a green egg already so don’t want charcoal.

I’m not sure if a Trager or similar would work, seems like 180 degrees is the low temp for most that will post a value. I’ve looked a lot of them over and most of them seem to be mass produced and flimsy. Hoping for something solid.

Finding a setup that can deliver consistent low temps is a challenge

Anyone have a suggestion or setup that fits the bill?

Thank you in advance!

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
I have used camp chef smokers for years. You can get one to smoke plenty of both for under 1k. Its goes down to 165, lower I think! You won’t be upset with a pellet smoker. They do a good job and the ease of use and maintenance is low!

OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR
I have used camp chef smokers for years. You can get one to smoke plenty of both for under 1k. Its goes down to 165, lower I think! You won’t be upset with a pellet smoker. They do a good job and the ease of use and maintenance is low!
Any particular model you would recommend?

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
I have an XT 24. Base model, but works well. If I were to ever upgrade I would get one with WiFi capabilities so I could check temps without going out.

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re wanting to do that low of temps just buy a big chief. They are the cats meow for jerky and fish and like $100. When I cold smoke stuff anymore I use an amazen smoke tube.

jimh406

WKR
I'm not a Traeger expert since I've only owned one. Some of the models go really high like a typical grill with a digital dial. My model only goes to 450.

Mine has a smoke setting that I think is in the range you are looking for. The next setting up is 180 and then it continues from there.

However, the dedicated smokers are pretty good and a lot less money. The ones that have front loading racks are pretty cool.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Bradley Smokers might work for you. I haven't tried them, but friends like them. I used a Little Chief starting out with great success but that was long ago. I use a pellet grill now. It doesn't get down to the temps you're looking for but it works well.

svivian

WKR
Green mountain grill sounds like it would fit the bill. Runs 150-500 degrees. I used one for 12 years before I moved to a rectech

Last edited:
OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR
If you’re wanting to do that low of temps just buy a big chief. They are the cats meow for jerky and fish and like $100. When I cold smoke stuff anymore I use an amazen smoke tube.
The smoke tube looks promising for use with a propane grill. I didn’t realize that was a thing.

OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR
Bradley Smokers might work for you. I haven't tried them, but friends like them. I used a Little Chief starting out with great success but that was long ago. I use a pellet grill now. It doesn't get down to the temps you're looking for but it works well.
thanks I’ll check them out.

svivian

WKR
Reqtechs look nice, any idea on the temps you can run on it?
I forgot about this add on

OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR
I forgot about this add on

Oh wow! That is awesome!

Agross

WKR
I had a green mountain grill and had nothing but problems with it, literally. It was a complete lemon. All I did was replace parts on it. Extremely frustrating and finally got rid of it. And it was new when I was having all the problems.
Got a recteq and love it. Zero problems and runs like a watch. Better build quality as well.

You are going to have issues finding a pellet grill that will hold consistent temps below 180. My Pitts & Spitts goes down to 150 but it won’t hold consistent.ent that low. There just isn’t enough temp for consistent combustion of the pellets that low no matter who makes it.

For cold smoking, the Amazen smoke tubes are the way to go. Smoke for however long needed then add temp to finish cooking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
You are going to have issues finding a pellet grill that will hold consistent temps below 180. My Pitts & Spitts goes down to 150 but it won’t hold consistent.ent that low. There just isn’t enough temp for consistent combustion of the pellets that low no matter who makes it.

For cold smoking, the Amazen smoke tubes are the way to go. Smoke for however long needed then add temp to finish cooking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
This ^^^^^ if you want to get to the low temps you're looking for.