Frosty82

WKR
4iYiHNV.jpg

TheGDog

WKR
8c791f891f05bdf727bd3ea4e7dced01.jpg

Western diamondback

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've seen that people make statues or mounts showing rattlers doing this kinda pose... but I've never seen one do it in the wild. Do they just not do this in SoCal? I mean, I've passed by couples Rattlers that were really loud and pissed off that I passed by.. and like wouldn't shut up until I'd put considerable distance between us upwind of them. But never saw one raise itself off the floor like this here.

Wapiti1

WKR
I've seen that people make statues or mounts showing rattlers doing this kinda pose... but I've never seen one do it in the wild. Do they just not do this in SoCal? I mean, I've passed by couples Rattlers that were really loud and pissed off that I passed by.. and like wouldn't shut up until I'd put considerable distance between us upwind of them. But never saw one raise itself off the floor like this here.

Most don't do this. They just rattle and want you to leave. Mess with one a bit and they'll rear up to strike. They usually have to feel threatened to rear up like that.

Last one I had do that, I was packing an elk out at 7500 feet in Montana and damn near stepped on that rascal. By some miracle I hopped about 10 feet to the side and didn't fall. I would have looked like a turtle trying to flip over with a pack full of elk weighing me down. I approached the snake, a 3 footer, he reared up and then I stoned him into oblivion.

Jeremy

TheGDog

WKR
Most don't do this. They just rattle and want you to leave. Mess with one a bit and they'll rear up to strike. They usually have to feel threatened to rear up like that.
Not too long ago took Mama and the Boy on a hike, afterward wanted to show them where I'd do my sits for Rabbits. As we were walking toward where we would step-off the asphalt of the trailhead parking area going towards the direction of the rabbit spot... I spotted a rattler working his way alongside the brush and beside the asphalt... only about maybe 4ft up from the boy, since he was closer to the edge of the asphalt at that moment.

So ya know, knowing how noobs are... all non-chalant I'm like "Mama, Connor, I need you guys to come over here by me for a second." (Then when once they did.) "Ok, now the reason I asked you to come over here was because I wanted to point out to you our little friend over here that was coming the other way."

Unfortunately it had weirded them out that day, so they were way leary of walking thru the grasses to get over to the spot I was mentioning. But I'm happy to report I've since taken the boy there and he's gotten rabbits twice there now :)