SO Cimarron or Kodiak Canvas for truck camp?

11boo

WKR
You do not have a humidity issue with canvas, as it breaths.
I learned the hard way clothes hung to dry in a canvas wall tent, did not dry, till I brought up the wood stove. To be fair, it was raining every day. The propane was just pumping to much humidity to help.

I learned the hard way clothes hung to dry in a canvas wall tent, did not dry, till I brought up the wood stove. To be fair, it was raining every day. The propane was just pumping to much humidity to help.
A wood stove produces dry heat and reduces moisture in the air within the tent; which is what you need to dry clothes that are soaked. If the propane heater were "pumping" humidity, one woth think it would condense on the canvas. If you want heat in a canvas tent, propane is great; if you want to dry clothes, clearly a wood stove is the way to go.

I'm with Bruce as I've got a Kodiak and an MLD supermid. For me think I'd need 3 nights or more to justify the extra work/time to setup and takedown the Kodiak. Maybe it's because I've been in hard soils, but it does take a while hammering in those 16 stakes and if I'm back after dark and gone before sunrise then I spend so little time in it to make it worth it.

When horse camping though, I love it as we're in camp much more.

I've actually been hoping to have a hunting scenario when I could be in one spot for longer as would be such a nice, comfy sleep each night. However, right now for me to hope for success I need to spend some nights in the woods, and be mobile other times.
Buy some Wicked Systems lag bolts and you'll spend no time anchoring the tent. Literally take 5 minutes going in or out.

A small NuWau 3500 propane stove works great to heat a 10X14 Flexbow and dry out wet gear. One of those small car vacuums comes in handy to remove any dirt on the tent floor before folding and rolling. If expecting weather and/or using a wing vestibule then placing a large tarp under the tent (and vestibule) helps keep your camp cleaner.kodiak3.jpgkodiak1.webp.jpgIMG_2644.JPG

Last edited:

11boo

WKR
Like I said, it was a wet hunt. There was literally water dripping from the internal frame when I was running propane. A propane burn is “clean” and darn warm, but somebody smarter than me would have to explain how it makes humidity.

I’m pretty blessed to live close enough to elk country so grabbing the wood stove was not hard. That propane was nice, I will say.

I could easily rig a BBQ burner in the bottom of this stove, plumb in a flex line from a 20# tank. Set a valve on the back. Live the dream without firewood, or moisture.

C097725E-909C-4D78-9D65-76A07BC91EDB.jpeg

That kodiak is hard to beat. Up down as quick as any mini tent. For one night, or a mobile setup, I have a real quick tarp setup off the back of my truck with my cot that is about as quick and weather proof as I need. Tailgate is a table.

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if your buying or borrowing ? This might be a little different angle , but I have the largest Otter pop up fish house they make . The material is quilted . It's big and pops up/ down in a hurry. Can be staked in the wind. I made a stovejack and vent a small propane stove out of it. It's used for ice fishing in the winter. It's been great for truck camping
Glad to see I'm not the only one using something outside of the norm. I got an Eskimo 450 for base camp at the truck with heat from a Chinese diesel heater. As for the question on which tent? I'd opt for a Kodiak over the Cimmaron for space alone.

The propane heater I have is piped out of the fish house like you would a wood stove. I have not noticed any moisture issues. A " buddy heater" probably would cause moisture issues

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up a KO Canvas 10x14 VX model that is literally like new , was never used for $500 off of FB marketplace, also came with the vestibule accessory…
So now we have in hand the Cimarron and Kodiak Canvas…
You found yourself a great deal! Congratulations!

The only downside to the Kodiak is that awning. You need to pitch it, or put a temp post up in the middle of it. if not, you will have a perfect water source after every rain.

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
Buy some Wicked Systems lag bolts and you'll spend no time anchoring the tent. Literally take 5 minutes going in or out.

A small NuWau 3500 propane stove works great to heat a 10X14 Flexbow and dry out wet gear. One of those small car vacuums comes in handy to remove any dirt on the tent floor before folding and rolling. If expecting weather and/or using a wing vestibule then placing a large tarp under the tent (and vestibule) helps keep your camp cleaner.View attachment 446105View attachment 446100View attachment 446103
The only weak spot I’ve found with my Kodiak over the past 15 years is the awning during extended or heavy rain. It’s a challenge getting just the right pitch so water doesn’t pool up in it. Has the vestibule partnered with the awning performed well for you in the rain?

The only weak spot I’ve found with my Kodiak over the past 15 years is the awning during extended or heavy rain. It’s a challenge getting just the right pitch so water doesn’t pool up in it. Has the vestibule partnered with the awning performed well for you in the rain?
For very foul weather I add a small tarp that drapes over both to keep the area beneath em dry.

Looking to grab a flex bow for a November California hunt, solo 9-10 day trip. Am I crazy to go for the 6x8.5? My gut says to get a 10x10 basic or 9x8 deluxe for the standing height and added space for future hunts with a partner. However, the smaller tent is cheaper and in stock at Competitive Edge.

Last edited:

11boo

WKR
Looking to grab a flex bow for a November California hunt, solo 9-10 day trip. Am I crazy to go for the 6x8.5? My gut says to get a 10x10 basic or 9x8 deluxe for the standing height and added space for future hunts with a partner. However, the smaller tent is cheaper and in stock at Competitive Edge.
I would bet anything larger than 6x8.5 would be much nicer. That’s just too small.

JohnD116

FNG
Hate to taint the waters of this conversation but have you considered the White Duck Regatta canvas bell tent? Would fall into the Kodak’s position in this comparison. For your circumstances (truck camping) I’d highly recommend.

Pros- Top notch quality, very easy to set up, awesome customer service, ease of set up, better shaped for inclement weather (high winds etc.), comes with stove Jack already, less poles, comes with everything you need to set up from stakes all the way to the rubber mallet.

Cons- does have a pole in the center and at the door (if you want an unobstructed floor this could be a deal breaker), because it’s hex shaped, the area by walls is a shorter in height, not free standing (it requires multiple stakes [also a pro though, as it makes it extremely sturdy in every direction]).

As someone who has a SO Cimarron as well, for what you’re trying to do I’d get the white duck hands down. I am very happy with my purchase.

It sets up just the way your cimarron does but has a heavy duty sewn in floor and has vertical walls. Depending on the size you get in diameter, you can get something like an 8ft+ center pole.

Hope this helps a little. 👍🏼🤙🏼