So I buy this kayak - now I’m trying to catch largemouth bass.

cmahoney

WKR
I love my kayaks.i really want a 2 person Hobie but they are out of my price range.

ba3e1d663f99a25adcafedec86ceb741.jpg

3fbaaf60039c8ce061b2cd5ad2e85353.jpg

01201b4ba6ac72f8439b5e0ec510ba1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sold the bass boat. Kids now want to go fishing all the time now. I’ve tossed around the idea of getting kayaks.

I have a Cuda HD from 2017 in the Patriot color scheme. Great kayak that is easy to stand in and gets you in some areas that are untouched. Kayak fishing is an addiction for both salt and fresh water.

11boo

WKR
11boo, those things like to sneak up from behind and scare the poo out ya.

I loved fishing out of a kayak back in FL inshore and for bass. Need to get another soon.

c009a40f7d6bae80b0e4dcc7f1c95244.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I yak fished all over Tampa bay when we had our winter “fish camp” house there.
great times, but something told me 2019 was time to sell that house. So glad I did.

OP
B

boom

WKR
I’m still at it. Getting better at it. Even standing up! I took a long stay at home vacation. Been fishing my butt off. Sore and tired, but all smiles. Putting lots of miles on my poor truck.

Attachments

• 34FDBE54-D74A-4E35-82C2-9F32F2789E7E.jpeg
    34FDBE54-D74A-4E35-82C2-9F32F2789E7E.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 55

OXN939

WKR
I’m still at it. Getting better at it. Even standing up! I took a long stay at home vacation. Been fishing my butt off. Sore and tired, but all smiles. Putting lots of miles on my poor truck.

Started up where you guys are yet? I find myself seriously addicted. Used to do a lot of offshore fishing and kinda thought yaks were for nerds who wanted to go slow... wishing I could have that time back now. We get these perch runs, Yellow and White, in the tidal tributaries of the James River that are basically like miniaturized Amberjack fishing with the added benefit of being prime on the grill. And, it's super hot right now during peak cabin fever season. Just can't get over how cool it is to be able to stock the fridge with fresh seafood for a combined $0 of gas, property tax, registration fees and maintenance costs.

If anyone's in VA and wants to get out for a paddle, shoot me a PM!

20220119_130851.jpg

20220223_154336.jpg

I just have the el cheapo edition but when I was in school I caught a lot of fish out of it. Placed it would be difficult to reach in a big boat. Really cool catching fish between dams downtown in a fairly big city and never any competition. Best one was on a lake hooked a musky and it was a good 20 min fight. Only won because he wind finally blew me to shore. It's difficult, but not impossible, to pale a kayak one handed with a fish on in the other.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
I have an old sit in Old Towne kayak. A year or two ago I bought a shorty rod and micro tackle box to start kayak fishing. I never actually got around to doing it.

This winter I started trout fishing at a small local pond that is stocked. It’s got my interest back up so I’m hoping to actually get the kayak out this spring. I’ve been researching all the box and lashing options.

OXN939

WKR
Use my Hobie Outback to stock the fridge with bluegills here in Southern IN.

Slick setup. What kind of sounder are you running? I've got the standard Garmin Striker 4 on mine, which is adequate. Looking at a Perception Outlaw with better electronics suite at some point in the future

LostArra

WKR
Kayak fishing the Indian River Lagoon by Melbourne, Fla in my daughter's tandem. Wife paddling up front while I cast from the back. She takes us up Crane Creek a ways and a small gator (4-5') is sunning on the shore. I lay my plastic lure on it's nose. It swims off and wife turns us around, quickly. 5 minutes later with gator on the brain something comes up under the yak and raises the front end up (with wife). We are thinking gator but it was a manatee who followed us the rest of the day. Exciting trip.

One of the Fla hurricanes (I think Francis) made off with daughter's kayak. I miss it.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are speaking my language. I live in upper Midwest and hit slough lakes with out boat ramps. Walleye and northerns.

So what is a good kayak to get started with? Certain brands to avoid? Length? My son and I have discussed getting into this style of fishing but have no clue where to start. I did some float tubing for trout when I lived in CA. This is a new game.

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
So what is a good kayak to get started with? Certain brands to avoid? Length? My son and I have discussed getting into this style of fishing but have no clue where to start. I did some float tubing for trout when I lived in CA. This is a new game.
Not a direct answer but you might see if you have a kayak store anywhere close. We have a local store that will let you borrow a boat for a couple hours to paddle around and see what you think. I tried out 2 or 3 before settling on mine.

IMO you can't go wrong with a Jackson or Hobie. Typically a little more pricey but there's really no reason to buy a brand new one. Just keep an eye out on Craigslist & you can get a good deal in a used one. If you're gonna be spending hours in it definitely get the removable mesh seats... your butt & back will thank you

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
I used to kayak fish all the time (almost daily after work) but they shut down the lake and made it only for people who owned homes on the lake- we have the river but I have not been able to figure it out- fish 4 hours and will regularly end up with one small mouth, its been brutal.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Started up where you guys are yet? I find myself seriously addicted. Used to do a lot of offshore fishing and kinda thought yaks were for nerds who wanted to go slow... wishing I could have that time back now. We get these perch runs, Yellow and White, in the tidal tributaries of the James River that are basically like miniaturized Amberjack fishing with the added benefit of being prime on the grill. And, it's super hot right now during peak cabin fever season. Just can't get over how cool it is to be able to stock the fridge with fresh seafood for a combined $0 of gas, property tax, registration fees and maintenance costs.

If anyone's in VA and wants to get out for a paddle, shoot me a PM!

View attachment 384145

View attachment 384146
Where you at, im in VA- trying to figure out the James near Lynchburg- no consistency yet- but im targeting bass- would love to dive into some of those though!