So I got a smoker

tony

WKR
GF decided I needed a smoker for Christmas, it arrived the other day.
Took 2 guys to carry it in.
Trager, has wifi, uses pellets. I have no idea how to use this thing :p. While I enjoy BBQ and good smoked meats, how often do you all with smokers use them?

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
IMG_4302.jpeg
I actually used mine to make some smoked breakfast links and found some old elk steaks in the freezer to make jerky this weekend. The jerky definitely got a bit “overdone” but the kids still really like it and ate about 5 pounds of it before I could take this picture.

Attachments

• IMG_4308.jpeg
    IMG_4308.jpeg
    497.3 KB · Views: 146
OP
T

tony

WKR
You sound a little disappointed with your gift, i'll get you my address and send it over ......
Nah, I just don't know how much use it'll get given the cost.
Defiantly wasn't expecting it.

DanP

FNG
I smoke everything! I try to use mine at least 2-3 times a week. Just go grab a pork butt, season it and.....wait. Then enjoy!

Been wanting one,I have had an old wood feed that was a pain to keep babysitting and a masterbuilt a few years ago that sucked.
I am really wanting to try a newer version,just not sure what brand.
I would use mine weekly as we meal prep every weekend.

Nah, I just don't know how much use it'll get given the cost.
Defiantly wasn't expecting it.
Get the fingers limbered up and use your Google-fu! There is so much you can do with a Traeger and you will use it more than you think. Ive been wanting one for a while now and still dont have one lol

Stalker69

WKR
Summer almost every day, winter once a week or so. You know you can cook just about everything on that trigger, doesn’t really have to be “ smoked”. I added a smoke daddy to mine, for more smoked flavor, and a more traditional smoke flavor. After replacing my control with aftermarket smoke control to my trigger, that really didn’t change anything. When I want to “ smoke “ things, Oh yea, and use good pellets, 100% real fruit wood pellets. Most are oak with a fruit flavoring, that don’t cut it.

Last edited:

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I use mine religiously. I’ve got a pitboss vertical pellet smoker that I got to upgrad from my old masterbuilt smoker. Jerky, summer sausage, and of course all the other smoked meats options. I also like using it for eggs and vegetables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
You sound a little disappointed with your gift, i'll get you my address and send it over ......
I was just going to post the same thing, but hell I have one, and would love another one ! Damn dude must be spoiled lol

TX_Diver

WKR
Sold my pellet grill but it was used 2-4x per week.

Www.amazingribs.com is a great resource with lots of recipes and info on various techniques etc.

Get a instant read thermometer if you don’t have one too. Thermopop from thermoworks is the best cheap one by far.

I still bbq/smoke stuff 2-3x per week but use my 26” kettle for everything now 👍

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
My trager has replaced my gas grill for the most part they just don’t get quite as hot as a gas grill but much better flavor.

I have two Green Mountain smokers and use them at least once a week in the winter and several times a week in the summer. I have the pizza oven attachments and make pizza several times a month.

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Look up Meat Church on YouTube! He has simple instructions and his recipie an are delicious! I don’t use mine all the time but when I do everybody loves it! I use it s a grill most of the time for burgers, or salmon. But I do like to make ribs, and I’m going to make brisket with it this winter.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had a pellet grill/smoker and hated that thing. Used way too many pounds of pellets for a single meal, and the meats never turned out as I would expect them to (a lot of gray meat). Two years ago I got a Masterbuilt Gravity Charcoal Smoker and I use that thing a lot. It's easy to throw in whatever wood you want for smoke. Just yesterday I smoked three racks of ribs with apple and a little hickory. Then last night I smoked some moose shanks for a few hours before putting them in the slow cooker before bed. The house smells amazing this morning. That will be lunch. I do ribs a lot and also brisket and pork shoulders. But I also experiment too. A few weeks ago I smoked a beef strip roast, then finished the cooking in the oven. Cut it into steaks.......it was a amazing. The best and most tender strip steaks I've ever had. They were like tenderloin. I'll try that with prime rib next.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
It’s makes smoking a breeze with and temp probes. Use mine often but usually have leftovers for days. Did a 16hr brisket smoke for thanksgiving. Having the temp and info on my phone makes it simple. Ditched the gas grill years ago and use both the Traeger and Big GreenEgg