SO Redcliff vs Kifaru Sawtooth

I’m finally ready to pull the trigger on a hot tent and believe I’ve got my choices narrowed down to either the Kifaru Sawtooth or the SO Redcliff (open to other options). I visited SO yesterday and will visit Kifaru Friday to get eyes on, but I’m looking for feedback as to which is most suitable for my uses.

For my purposes this tent will largely be a 2-person tent with occasional solo trips, car camping and backpacking. I really want to be able to stand up, and believe at 6’1 I can stand upright in both but am still wondering how much standing room the sawtooth has. Both shelters are within $100 and 10oz of each other, the sawtooth being the lighter, more expensive option. Whichever way I go, I’ll most likely be using a SO SXL stove.

Pros of Redcliff
-significantly larger for roughly the same weight and price. I like that I could add a 3rd person comfortably should it be needed and can really spread out when solo or with two. Additionally, it will easily absorb adding kids, which we plan to in the next few years.
-readily available nest. My main hunting partner is my wife and I can see that being a want of hers for some uses.
-lots of standing room

Cons of redcliff
-the large footprint has me worried about finding suitable spots
-with stove and liner (undetermined on that) it’s pushing 9lbs and seems wildly heavy for solo use
-I believe the sawtooth is more storm worthy

Pros of Sawtooth
-more storm worthy
-~1/2 lb lighter
-smaller footprint

Cons of Sawtooth
-more expensive
-less standing room
-less room to add kids
-strictly a two man w/ stove

If you were (or are) in my shoes, which would you choose and why? Should I look at other options? Should I buy the red cliff and a smaller tent for solo use with the same stove?

Thanks in advance and pardon any grammatical/spelling errors as I typed this whole thing on my phone.

valtteri

FNG
I’m 6’3” and the Sawtooth doesn’t quite have enough standing room for me. I cannot stand up totally straight in it.

I agree that a Sawtooth with a stove is just too much to carry solo. I’ve done it once and while it was nice, I wouldn’t go backpacking with it anymore. I got a Supertarp for solo use.

I am of the school that ”more space is better” and the way you describe your uses, I think the bigger shelter might be the better way to go. If you have a chance to check out the Sawtooth in person (after having already checked out the Redcliffe), I’m sure will know which one is right for you!

OP
carsonkeys
I chose Sawtooth. Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m 6’3” and the Sawtooth doesn’t quite have enough standing room for me. I cannot stand up totally straight in it.

I agree that a Sawtooth with a stove is just too much to carry solo. I’ve done it once and while it was nice, I wouldn’t go backpacking with it anymore. I got a Supertarp for solo use.

I am of the school that ”more space is better” and the way you describe your uses, I think the bigger shelter might be the better way to go. If you have a chance to check out the Sawtooth in person (after having already checked out the Redcliffe), I’m sure will know which one is right for you!
Does the stove in the front of the tent make it a PITA to get out to take a leak in the middle of the night?

OP
carsonkeys
I’ve got a redcliff and a silvertip. Covers all my floorless bases.
Do you use the same stove for both? I’m toying with the idea of that exact setup (or Cimarron) but am wondering if using the SXL I plan on buying for the redcliff would work ok in both?

Vaultman

WKR
I have a sawtooth and I love it. I am 6'2" and can stand, though in a small circle, even with the stove.

As for space, it is BIG for 1 person, and plenty for 2 and a stove. My family (me, my wife, son 12, and two daughters 9 & 6, and a 35lb dog slept in one for 2 nights). It was crammed but we did it. I am sure that has to be a record for a sawtooth. In the morning to get out and go pee it was like clowns getting out of a car, we just kept exiting.

They are all bigger now so I got the 8 man also.

Jbehredt

WKR
Do you use the same stove for both? I’m toying with the idea of that exact setup (or Cimarron) but am wondering if using the SXL I plan on buying for the redcliff would work ok in both?

I use a lite outdoors stove. Have never actually burned it in the silvertip. The cold trips I’ve done I’ve opted for the redcliff. Since the silvertip is a solo shelter with a stove it has plenty of room.

valtteri

FNG
Does the stove in the front of the tent make it a PITA to get out to take a leak in the middle of the night?
The stove doesn’t interfere with exiting in any way, like the previous poster said the stove is on one side of the pole. There is always an exit route on the other side.

BUT, for me one of the biggest advantages of a floorless shelter is not having to get out of the tent or even the sleeping bag to take a leak. Especially in the winter. I just roll over to the tent wall side and hose away. The ground is the same inside your tent as is outside it. It will absorb everything.
I think in one of the older Kifaru videos Patrick Smith even says this was one of the design drivers of the Slick Bag’s dual zipper.
Might not be for the squemish, but don’t knock ’til you’ve tried it! 😃

ianpadron

WKR
Both of them are to much tent for solo use. I'd get a legit solo tent and remove that use case scenario from the decision.
Strongly disagree.

Good luck drying out on a late season hunt in a small tent.

I love my Silex and Supertarp...but the Sawtooth gets the nod for all my solo hunts from mid-October on.

The stove and room to hang an entire day's worth of soaked clothes has saved my ass on several hunts. Would have been miserable in a "solo" tent.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
SO Redcliff for family use or multiple people. SO Silex for solo use (or Silvertip if you want hericane worthy).

The half nest of the Redcliff is awesome for kid containment. Nests are heavy though, in a Silex or Silvertip I would use a Bora Gear (or other UL) bivy sack.

20210428_055238.jpg

The Sivertip is roomy for one, but not standing height for most.DSC_0505.JPG

Last edited:

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
Interested in this thought process- I just went for the DCF Cimarron. Now considering if I need more of solo shelter (thinking Silex vs Silvertip). Really not much weight savings and gives up a ton of room. Only improvement I come up with from the top of my head (Cimarron vs silex/silvertip on solo trip) is the footprint. Interesting to hear other thoughts and opinions on it.