So…what have you old timers done with the grandkids lately?

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
My wife and I decided to spend some two on one time with our grandkids starting with the oldest, we visited a few museums, parks, obstacle courses and zip lining, Tomorrow it is off to the miniature horse farm. It has been a lot of fun getting to know them better.

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Took 2 sets of them separately with my 2 kids (13,17) still at home to the lake about 3 miles away. Swim, picnic snacks and bounced the tar out of all of them tubing behind the boat.

1 bunch with 3 (5,7,11)has been over last few Mondays the other 2 (11,12) got off the bus here everyday til they moved 10 miles.
Tried to get the 12 y.o to do some sled drags and hill climbs with me to get ready for his football- no dice.

jimh406

WKR
Played with our this year chicks and ducklings. Also, played with our Aussies. They also have enjoyed “camping” in the travel trailer. We have a small ranch, so you get the outdoor experience in our “yard”.

OP
P

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
We spent the day at the Land of the Little Horses in Gettysburg with our 4 soon to be 5 year old granddaughter. Tomorrow she wants to spend the day at the pool.

ElkNut1

WKR
You guys are great! I'm not that kind of grandpa, I honestly don't like being around kids, they drive me nuts! I don't know why but it's true! Once they get to hunting age then I do better.

ElkNut

Geewhiz

WKR
You guys are great! I'm not that kind of grandpa, I honestly don't like being around kids, they drive me nuts! I don't know why but it's true! Once they get to hunting age then I do better.

ElkNut
Might consider suffering through some time with them. I suspect that they might appreciate it.

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks but nope, not a chance! Been this way my whole life, I doubt I'll be changing. My wife of 47 years says you do not like any kids but your own, she's right! On the other foot Brenda my wife is great with them. For me it's like fingernails on a chalkboard! (grin)

ElkNut

OP
P

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks but nope, not a chance! Been this way my whole life, I doubt I'll be changing. My wife of 47 years says you do not like any kids but your own, she's right! On the other foot Brenda my wife is great with them. For me it's like fingernails on a chalkboard! (grin)

ElkNut
To each his own. I bet things will change when you start hunting with them.

ElkNut1

WKR
100%, I've already hunted with the two boys quite a bit. The girl could care less! Our oldest is 23 & youngest 16, it's the girl.

When I think of grandkids I'm thinking under 12.

ElkNut

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
they drive me nuts!
Sometimes I don’t miss the 2 getting off the bus here .I don’t put up with their nonsense from any of them towards each other that should’ve been nipped in the bud years ago. I’m the “ bad grandpa “ probably.

AKDoc

WKR
Our 4yo grandson is spending ten-days with us right now, giving our daughter and her husband a chance to get away together and bow-hunt caribou in the Brooks Range...our daughter got a bull the other day.

We sure love that little bundle of energy (although he wears us out...LOL!). He has been growing-up knowing us and visiting our house ever since he was a baby, so he enjoys coming here and being with us. He also REALLY likes eating moose! We had back-strap on the grill for dinner tonite, and he helped!

Last edited:
OP
P

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Our 4yo grandson is spending ten-days with us right now, giving our daughter and her husband a chance to get away together and bow-hunt caribou in the Brooks Range...our daughter got a bull the other day.

We sure love that little bundle of energy (although he wears us out...LOL!). He has been growing-up knowing us and visiting our house ever since he was a baby, so he enjoys coming here and being with us. He also REALLY likes eating moose! We had back-strap on the grill for dinner tonite, and he helped!
They do wear you out don’t they. We had 3 of them under 4 for a week last year. When they left my wife and I looked at each other and said we need a break. Even though we were wore us out we enjoyed them.

RCL

WKR
Our 18 month old is high energy and loves to be outside.
She tires us out, but is a joy to be around.
Lately we have visited the aquarium, the botanical gardens and the zoo.
Perfectly happy to go anywhere in car seat in the truck.
Come September, she will be visiting ranches.

BFR

WKR
Just finished a road-trip with my 6yr old granddaughter, she was on her good behavior. One of the older granddaughter raced BMX this weekend, she’s busy with that, cheer and school so won’t be hunting this year. The other 2, 1 14yr old girl the other 16 yr old boy are both rehabbing from sport injuries that required surgery. No hunting for them either, plus school started, that’ll keep them busy and out of my hair for the year.

LostArra

WKR
3 yo granddaughter is into "shed hunting" turkey feathers. The local flock is molting now and they are easier for us to find than deer antlers. She is proud of her collection. She also gets to "drive" the SXS to haul her feathers back home. (no roads, only pasture trails)

My 10 year old grandson is helping me put up hay, working on machinery and riding horses. He can't pick up the bales but he can drag and roll them. He makes my job easier and in turn I will pay him for his contribution.

There are a lot of things you can help with. Teaching them to work is as important as teaching them how to play.

Old Dog

FNG
I had the opportunity to travel in Europe with my oldest grandson (14). Just the 2 of us. One of the high points of my life so far.