So, you went smaller caliber, but not down to .223…

chindits

WKR
Actually not too bad in the wind once I realized my 7RM scope is mils and my 6.5 scope is moa. Mil to mil isn’t off too bad with my mellow loads in eldm to eldm.

brhillman

FNG
I’ll be trying out a .243 win barrel to replace my .308 this year for mule deer (and hopefully elk). I was working on reviving a .30-06 from a sporterized Springfield project I was gifted many years ago, and realized I didn’t need two rifles of such similar cartridge and started reading up on the smaller stuff, wanting something I could learn to spot my own impacts with and develop better shooting habits. I was swayed by the overwhelming evidence in the .223 thread, but minimum in some of the states I hunt is .243/6mm. Would have liked to have tried maybe some of the faster twist 6mm, but found a cheap take-off unfired .243 barrel for my 700, and realized that as a hunter that *aspires* to be 600 yards capable, the .243 win will do everything I need even with minimum loads (i.e., deliver 95-105gr projectiles over 1800 fps at 600 yards). Also added a little bit of weight and ergonomics to the system by replacing the Tupperware stock with a laminate that I did a significant amount of reshaping on and pillar and glass bedded, and added a sighting system that will hopefully allow me to dial more reliably than I’ve done in the past. Been a fun winter project so far.
IMG_5005.jpeg

I’ve been shooting a 7 SAUM for the last couple years and a 300 win mag before that. I recently picked up a 6.5 creed tikka that I enjoy and may hunt with it but I’m so attached to my SAUM that it’s unlikely. When this barrel is gone in the next year or so it’ll be going to a 6.5 SAUM and the tikka will be a 6 creed.

06 SB

FNG
I used to use 338WM and a 375HH for elk. I now use a 338Fed or a 7mm-08 for both deer and elk. Occasionally, I use a 270 or a 30-06 but the 338Fed gets the most use. I have never had a deer take a step after being hit with a 200 grainer from the Fed. I prefer a bigger bullet but at moderate velocity rather than magnum velocities. Critters still die and my shoulder feels way better.

wyosam

WKR
I used to use 338WM and a 375HH for elk. I now use a 338Fed or a 7mm-08 for both deer and elk. Occasionally, I use a 270 or a 30-06 but the 338Fed gets the most use. I have never had a deer take a step after being hit with a 200 grainer from the Fed. I prefer a bigger bullet but at moderate velocity rather than magnum velocities. Critters still die and my shoulder feels way better.

Very similar to the combo I’ve settled on- 338-284 (just a touch faster than 338 federal, likely meaningless, but I like to be different), and 7-08 improved. Both 20”, in identical rifles. Both very reasonable in terms of recoil. No need for magnums for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 SB

FNG
Very similar to the combo I’ve settled on- 338-284 (just a touch faster than 338 federal, likely meaningless, but I like to be different), and 7-08 improved. Both 20”, in identical rifles. Both very reasonable in terms of recoil. No need for magnums for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great minds think alike. Both my 338Fed and 7mm-08 are built on Remington 600 actions, 21” barrels with McMillan Mountain rifle stocks and Swarovski scopes. The only difference is the barrel contour. I had to go with a Lilja#2 for the 338 vice a #1 for the 7mm-08.

Finally settled on 6.5-284 and 6.5prc as my main guns. I love my 257 Wby too. Can take anything in NA and most places of the world. Not too tough to find ammo for the PRC now that it’s more popular. Recoil is mild, shoots flat, high bc, etc. Best all round for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro