Solamon quest users, past and present

Im on the fence of ordering a pair of quest boots for september elk. I tried them on and they seem comfortable but what scares me is the somewhat common reviews that they lose their waterproofness and sometimes the seams and soles seperate.

Those that had them and switched, why did you switch and what did you switch to? And if you are currently using them, how do you feel about the longevity of the pair you're wearing?

I can get them for about half price so I really want to like them, but not if they are half the boot of other commonly used and known brands.

bozeman

WKR
I have a pair and wore them on an elk hunt in Oct last year. Performed ‘ok’ and I use them on hikes all the time. Upgraded to Crispi Idaho’s for more ‘high ankle’ suppport and have been putting them thru their paces for a few weeks now. That being said, the Solomon’s are very comfortable almost feel like a tennis shoe!

I buy them when on deep discount and just know that they will not stay waterproof more then a season or 2. I wear them only for hunting when I expect rain and use an older pair that has given up on the waterproofness the rest of the time. They are a flexible boot, that flex you are enjoying is going to break down the waterproof lining sooner or later depending on too many factors for you to put an exact lifespan on it. It's just part of the deal for having an extremely comfortable boot. I'm not aware of any other flexible boot that can stay waterproof for the life of the boot either.

I've never had a sole separate through 3 pairs and 6 or so years of use hunting the Sierras, Montana and Wyoming. I don't know how some of these guys do it, but they have pic's to prove it so I must baby mine. I've wondered if it was chemical exposure related? Maybe I just got lucky. For 1/2 price they are a steal if they fit your feet. I've searched far and wide and have not found another boot that fits my feet as well as the 4D.

Apollo117

WKR
The reviews you read about the Quests, did any of the reviewers mention their boot care process? If you take care of your boots I don't see how they quit being waterproof. Clean your boots often and apply a sealant like Nikwax. Works for all my boots.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
i couldnt get a season out of a pair without them leaking. i went to a lowa tibet and had 1 pair of them leak aswell.. lowa did replace them under warranty though

wapitibob

WKR
Comfy and leaked like a sieve. Mine lasted less than 50 miles.
Buy them at REI so you can take them back within a year.

I have used my Salomon GTX boots for several years and continue to use them.....very comfortable for September elk hunting. Like Apollo117 mentioned, I clean and waterproof them before I go each year and have not had any issues with feet getting wet. Like Waptibob mentioned, buy from REI and try them out. If you don't like them take them back within a year. Also I keep a second pair of boots at the truck in as backup is case something would happen. I liked them so well, that I have another pair(purchased on sale at a great price) waiting for my old reliables to give out.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
Partner is using the X Ultra mid with stellar results. A lot of the leakers I see from friends are larger size, 13 +.

Backyard

WKR
I've got a pair. Comfortable as heck, nice and light. But after the second year they leaked like all get out. even tried reconitioning em with Nikwax, no difference. I'll use em for anything but elk hunting from now on.

Pootros

FNG
I have had five pairs and they all leak after awhile. They are super comfy and I use them for archery elk so the waterproof factor isn’t a giant deal to me. I also get them on a discount which helps but I don’t expect them to be waterproof for more than a season of scouting and hunting use.

OP
A
Thanks for the replies. I absolutely hate my feet being wet, so the leaking thing definitely scares me. If I get them, it would be direct from Solamon so I'd hope they would warranty them. But a warranty does me no good on a mountain half way through the hunt.

eoperator

WKR
I cant comment on long term durability, (my 4ds are only a couple months old) but fit and comfort are as if they were tailored to my feet. Wish they had a safety toe option so I could wear them to work.

LostArra

WKR
I've owned two pairs. First pair lasted two seasons then the dam broke but they had lots of miles and were really worn out. Now used for tractor work
Second pair is still leakless after two seasons. My elk hunting is in a dry area so that helps. I've got Lowas and Hanwags which are beefier boots but aren't much for being sneaky and stalking where the Quests are good. Sole has been good for traction on wet or dusty rocks. I may be going to an Oboz for a Quest alternative. I've had great luck with their low hikers.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Good boots for hiking and lighter loads. Super comfortable and a good buy in the $130-$180 range. I found that with heavy loads and a lot of downhill, they’ll rub the front top portion of your foot where it flexes raw. Happened to me and my dad. Neither of us had water or wear issues.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
They're good boots, especially if half price. Probably fit my feet better than any I've had. As far as leaking, every pair of boots I've had eventually leak. Crispi, Danner, LaCrosse, Soloman etc. Wet feet suck, but they wont ruin your hunt.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sveltri

WKR
I’ve had mine for two years, wore them daily before going to a minimalist shoe. I still wear them for training and hunting and I’ve had no issues regarding waterproofness but they are not the most durable. I’ll replace them with another pair because I love the way they fit.

blkntancj

FNG
I really like them so far, but I haven't put them to the test on the mountain yet. I've been wearing them for SWAT for about 6 months. They give great support while wearing 60 lbs of armor and gear. Can,t speak to the issue of the waterproofing failing.

danarnold

WKR
I have a pair and wore them on an elk hunt in Oct last year. Performed ‘ok’ and I use them on hikes all the time. Upgraded to Crispi Idaho’s for more ‘high ankle’ suppport and have been putting them thru their paces for a few weeks now. That being said, the Solomon’s are very comfortable almost feel like a tennis shoe!

same here but after my idaho's rand cracked/dry rotted within the warr period and they weren't fixed/replaced I went with Ktreck and I'm very satisfied.
side hilling with a rear quarter and quest isn't a lot of fun either...

2 years of hunting and training. No issues so far, but hey, if you get them cheap and like them, just replace after a couple of years. I haven't had any waterproofing issues yet.

ljalberta

WKR
I ran a pair for the past 3 seasons. Sheep, elk, deer, and bear hunting, as well as a number of backpacking trips. Super comfortable boot! I do think the insole sucks and would replace that though. The Goretex membrane broke down on me the first season. I would apply DWR treatment at a few times every year, although it didn't really seem to help too much. And no, the wetness wasn't just from sweat, my boots did leak. That being said, they did say they would replace them if I sent them in - I just never bothered. I also wasn't the biggest fan of the sole. Those boots finally died this year at the end of the season. The sole is destroyed from climbing scree and rocks (seems like a little softer rubber than some), and they got a little close to the fire this year :).

I think I'll be picking up another pair of slightly stiffer boots for the mountains this year. That being said, I would be tempted to buy another pair if I see a great price on them! For anything other than sheep hunting I thought they were absolutely splendid (aside from the leaking issues - common in many boots though).