Solo Backpacking - how far off the road?

Gumbo

WKR
It all depends on the terrain, but the max I have hunted is about 7 miles in for elk. But what I am willing to shoot is a function of the distance, terrain, and weather. If I get in real nasty stuff, am a long way in, or it is hot I hold out for a big bull. Fortunately, it seems I usually end up about 2-3 miles in when I do shoot one.

4 miles for me...maybe more if it's cooler out and I have time to hang some of the meat while I pack the rest out

For me, time is the biggest factor, not distance. Ideally, I'd like to get the elk out in 2 days as I usually have ice in coolers in the truck. So if getting camp out comes on the 3rd day, that's fine as long as the meat is being cooled. Also I have a sleeping setup at the truck (bag, sm. tent, food, etc) in case I end up at the truck and it's too late to go back to my remote camp,

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
Just out of curiousity, how is everyone perception to hunt 5 miles from the truck. Is it as the crow flies or according to a GPS following your trail. But to add to the discussion like other terrain is a big key for me. If I can walk to the top of a ridge on a mountain and walk on top for a couple miles makes a big difference than climbing up and down multiple times.

Mike 338

WKR
It varies a little. If your hiking "up" from your vehicle, that means your hiking down to get out. In theory, you can go in a bit farther cause coming out with a load is all downhill. Of course if you have to hump a critter out of a deep hole just to get back to camp, your just as gassed. For the average guy in fair shape, 3 miles is a nice distance as the real hunt just starts there. For dudes in amazing shape, that's strictly an individual thing. 3 miles doesn't sound like a lot but in the sticks with elevation changes and a load on your back, it seems like double.

I know a few guy whose knees are wrecked from packing meat. Big "to heavy" loads in the steeps will give you one of those, "now I know better" stories.

Last edited:

ridgerunner22

Lil-Rokslider
Elk is 7-8 miles max. Deer I'd say I'd go 10-12 but would prefer to stay under 7. Far doesn't always mean better that's for sure. But steep often does haha

cnelk

WKR
You go 10+ miles in Colorado and good chance you’re going to be meeting up with guys coming in from the other direction

njdoxie

WKR
I know a few guy whose knees are wrecked from packing meat. Big "to heavy" loads in the steeps will give you one of those, "now I know better" stories.

Yeah, that really concerns me, that and hurting my back, which I had surgically repaired 3 or 4 years ago. So I’m very cautious and use a packer, or in 2019 I’ll be using llamas. No elk is worth chronic pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike 338

WKR
Yeah, that really concerns me, that and hurting my back, which I had surgically repaired 3 or 4 years ago. So I’m very cautious and use a packer, or in 2019 I’ll be using llamas. No elk is worth chronic pain.

One year we doubled on elk within a minute of each other. It was pretty rough. Started researching pack animals right after that. Hey, there's no experience like your own experience.

This is the reason (back surgery) that I looked at 1st rifle season last year for the first time. Before that, I had been hunting in the Sept. archery or muzzleloader seasons. But I realized that to have any chance of taking out smaller loads without wasting meat, I really needed to be hunting in colder weather where I would have more time.