Solo Elk Hunting in Grizzly Country

mntnguide

WKR
What caliber of pistol would you carry for Grizzlies. I heard talk of a 45 mm not being sufficient. I am not a gun guy. I'd prefer to shoot my elk with an arrow, but I'll bring a gun for protection/peace of mind. I heard a story of someone using a 20mm to bring down a charging Griz after a 45 didn't do it.
I hunt grizzly country all the time usually solo with my horses...i personally carry a 10mm glock. I prefer having a larger magazine in case i need to use it. I use to carry a 44 mag revolver, but fact is, i can't hit shit with it when I'm not being faced with a charging bear so I'm pretty sure i wouldnt do much better in the real situation. I also never carried 6 in the tubes, i always carried it on an empty chamber because if i ever have a horse wreck and something were to happen, i don't want a live round in there. So, as i said, i went to a 10mm and nearly triple the ammo and much less weight...i have a friend who had to shoot a charging grizzly couple years back, and his 10mm saved his life. Just don't use hollow points, i buy the Buffalo bore full lead bear rounds, you want stopping force.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
People do it, I'm not a fan. Guy I met last year hunts alone, camps 7 miles in in very heavy griz area. I hunt alone in areas that have griz, but not in high density areas, too distracting, especially when trying to break down an elk by yourself.

Yeah, that being bent over a dead elk thing for a few hours solo is rather a vulnerable time, but you will have a knife in one hand. Better hope it is not one of those little disposable blade things.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I can't imagine hunting backcountry solo for elk with Grizz around. Especially if you get an elk down.
Done it with partners. Experience with Grizz on elk carcass/meat cache 2x in WY, and black bear in CO.
Roll of the dice, chances of encounter are just that.

Back in 1988, was archery hunting elk in NW Montana. I was moving along a sidehill trail, wind in my face. My partner was up above 500 yards on the ridgeline. As I came around a sparce treed finger ridge, there was Grizz at 100+ yards away. Mama had a cub with her. I stopped as could see just over the ground's horizon.
But she saw me pronto. A big huff and in she came...FAST!

I was literally frozen in place, stickbow in hand.
Partner was watching the entire scenario; thought I was a dead man. He told me later was thinking of how to explain my demise to my wife and daughters. But he started yelling, saw he scared a coyote downhill, sprinting coyote scared cub and cub bawled. At that mama grizz came to a halt, the ensuing dust cloud blew over me. At 25 yards, Mama gave me a look, huffed and ran back to her cub, now up a small tree. I never saw the 'yote or cub in tree, was fixated on the charging bear, with many thoughts racing in my head. It was as if time stood still, everything happening in slow motion.
Partner said mama reaching her cub stood up on her back legs and looked to where I had been. But I was gone by then, having boogied out of there...wet pants and all.

2 things after that experience. Never shot a coyote again and never went back to Montana.
Undoubtedly more Grizz there now than 34 years ago.

jpmulk

WKR
Think for me it depends on just how thick the griz population is where im at. I frequently alone in country considered griz country. If im going to an area that is known to be thick, like most of the country around yellowstone, i prefer to have a partner.

I did get charged hunting solo opener of archery last season. Bluff charge in timber. Bout the time i was about to start pulling the trigger the bear hit the brakes and turned around. Still spooked the crap out of me.

Wyoming Nimrod

Lil-Rokslider
Hi y’all, I’m new here, but I live and hunt in NW Wyoming and every area I hunt is genuinely “grizzly country.” Though certain zones are much more densely populated than others, the chance of an encounter is always there on any given day. Great advice has already been given by others, but I will add that whenever possible to hunt with a trusted partner it is wise to do so. Vigilance is always key and trying hard not to let your guard down. The only other thing I’ll add is if you get an animal on the ground, break it down as quickly and carefully as possible and get yourself and the meat out asap. Cheers.

fatlander

WKR
I didn’t get chewed on, so I can’t say I regretted it. I definitely didn’t cover the ground that I would have had I been with a partner and/or in country I didn’t mind hanging meat for a couple days to get it out.

Grizzlies are a part of some landscapes that makes pretty much every aspect of the hunt a little more difficult. Extra vigilance all day and night long, how you move around your hunt area, eating and grooming, sleeping, getting meat taken care of, etc, all requires different levels of detail and inconvenience that weighs on you over the course of a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Most years, the drainage I have been hunting near Yellowstone Park has the highest concentration of grizzly’s in the lower 48 (the bear count sometime changes with the neighboring drainage). Been hunting it solo for over 30 years with of numerous close grizzly encounters. The older I get, the fewer bear encounters I have. Haven’t been charged in over a decade and haven’t pulled the 44 in almost twenty years. Think over the years I may have learned how to avoid most encounters and at 64, don’t cover the same amount of ground I did when I was younger.

Anymore, l don’t think about grizzly encounters much. Most of my elk hunts it is just me, my selfbow, and either the 44 and/or bear spray. On occasion, I have been known to forget both the 44 and bear spray, it does not prevent me from hunting Elk.

I choose to hunt with a stickbow in grizzly country, is what it is. I accept the risk. Worrying about it does not change the fact they are there.

Last edited:

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a size 13, just means you have to multitask when shatting and not just concentrate on one thing. Rules you have to abide by if you play where the men are men and the sheep are nervous 🤷🤷🤷20200912_152136.jpg

My practice is to be aware and go prepared....but definitely go. From grizzly country to the subway to the highway to a small town school....there are no risk-free places. I personally would rather contend with Old Long Claws than a psychopath, and I would rather die in a bed of pine straw than on one of asphalt.

My choices are my own, and I would always advise anyone to make their own choices too.

It's absolutely critical that you assess your surroundings and the sign. I've hunted in WY three times and bowhunted elk in a "griz area" twice. One of the areas had very occasional griz sign. I would cautiously hunt that area solo in the future.

The other seemed to be infested with griz. What I mean is that there was more griz sign than elk, deer, or any other animal sign all put together. They were thick in the area. They seemingly had killed all of the black bears in the area.

My partner and I were charged twice in the first three days. The first charge we wrote off as being an isolated incident. The second charge was more intentional by the bear. There is no doubt that we called both griz in with elk calls. These were hungry aggressive bears. They weren't defending their young and they weren't surprised by our presence. The first charged more recklessly and the second stalked more intentionally. Both stopped before closing within 50' of us.

I would possibly consider solo hunting in the griz infested area but only in areas with good visibility. I wouldn't hunt too early or too late in the day. Never, ever would I hunt solo and use elk calls in heavy cover. In fact, I did try to hunt solo for a day (when my partner was taking his elk quarters to a processor) and I absolutely hated being there. I hunted very inefficiently and didn't like it at all.

Your tolerance for risk may be different than mine.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
OP's questions:
Who hear has done this? YES
Ever regretted the decision? SORT OF, SEE COMMENTS BELOW
I have solo elk hunted before just not in grizzly country. Might try Montana this season.
What are your thoughts??? DO IT

The only agressive bear I ever had to deal with was 30 minutes after the pic in my Avatar was taken. A smallish black bear came in while I was dressing (solo) and refused to leave. I chased him off 5 or 6 times over 90 minutes but he never left. I wasn't giving my elk up to him and didn't have a firearm or bear spray with me. He hung out with 60 yards of me until I was done then he came in for the guts.

I've never hunted Montana but done my share of solohunting elk, deer, and goats in south eastern BC (griz country). Have had 2 notable encounters, both very similar. Both times was walking on some what of a trail trying to get to somewhere specific, not paying attention and walked into griz. One stood, woofed at me and ran the other way (he was about 22 yards) the other time the bear stood his ground and looked at me ( about 30 yards). As I backed away he kind of followed me for a bit but I was able to open the distance and get out of there. Kind of freaked me out but I now tell myself they (Griz) are not out to get me and these encounters help me rationalize that. Also called in a big lion one year while bowhunting solo and have called in several black bears. Everytime I have run into a predator by calling them in or by accident I do the same, Make myself as big as I can, talk to it and never turn by back on it.

Have had to deal with a few elk while hunting solo. All were killed within an hour of last light and during early season when temps are high.

Can't say I enjoyed dressing and packing them out in the dark by myself and I'd be a complete liar if I said I wasn't freaked out a couple times. I talk to myself, sing....to make it known a human is there and to help me keep my mind on the task. Every few minutes stand up, look and listen. So ya if you asked me right then and there if I regretted dropping that bull, my answer would of been no, just regret doing it at last light.

But ask me the next day and I would be ready and willing to do it all again in a heartbeat!!!!

Last edited:
Who hear has done this?
Ever regretted the decision?
I have solo elk hunted before just not in grizzly country. Might try Montana this season.
What are your thoughts???
I do. I haven’t regretted it yet. Just gotta always follow the “rules” to minimize attractants. And remind yourself that most sounds you hear outside the tent aren’t bears lining up to get you. I also bring pepper spray and a pistol. The pistol is mostly for in the tent because you can’t shoot spray through a tent wall. I’d go for it if I were you. Just take precautions to minimize the chance of an encounter and have a plan A and B if it happens anyway.

OP's questions:
Who hear has done this? YES
Ever regretted the decision? SORT OF, SEE COMMENTS BELOW
What are your thoughts??? DO IT

The only agressive bear I ever had to deal with was 30 minutes after the pic in my Avatar was taken. A smallish black bear came in while I was dressing (solo) and refused to leave. I chased him off 5 or 6 times over 90 minutes but he never left. I wasn't giving my elk up to him and didn't have a firearm or bear spray with me. He hung out with 60 yards of me until I was done then he came in for the guts.

I've never hunted Montana but done my share of solohunting elk, deer, and goats in south eastern BC (griz country). Have had 2 notable encounters, both very similar. Both times was walking on some what of a trail trying to get to somewhere specific, not paying attention and walked into griz. One stood, woofed at me and ran the other way (he was about 22 yards) the other time the bear stood his ground and looked at me ( about 30 yards). As I backed away he kind of followed me for a bit but I was able to open the distance and get out of there. Kind of freaked me out but I now tell myself they (Griz) are out to get me and this proved it. Also called in a big lion one year while bowhunting solo and have called in several black bears. Everytime I have run into a predator by calling them in or by accident I do the same, Make myself as big as I can, talk to it and never turn by back on it.

Have had to deal with a few elk while hunting solo. All were killed within an hour of last light and during early season when temps are high.

Can't say I enjoyed dressing and packing them out in the dark by myself and I'd be a complete liar if I said I wasn't freaked out a couple times. I talk to myself, sing whatever to make it known a human is there to keep my mind on the task. Every few minutes stand up, look and listen. So ya if you asked me right then and there if I regretted dropping that bull, my answer would of been no, just regret doing it at last light.

But ask me the next day I would of been ready and willing to do it all again in a heartbeat!!!!
I’ve felt a little anxious about making a kill at last light for the same reasons as you. I even passed on a shot, I kind of regret that now but who knows… maybe it was the right decision and I’ll never know it.

What caliber of pistol would you carry for Grizzlies. I heard talk of a 45 mm not being sufficient. I am not a gun guy. I'd prefer to shoot my elk with an arrow, but I'll bring a gun for protection/peace of mind. I heard a story of someone using a 20mm to bring down a charging Griz after a 45 didn't do it.
45mm would be powerful enough to take on a whole platoon of bears. It’d be a little tough to carry 🤣

Remember this: If a twig snaps in the middle of the night, it's an elk or deer outside. Grizzlies don't snap twigs as they walk through. If you don't hear any noises outside, don't go to sleep....no matter what.

👀

utahkid39

FNG
Should draw a general elk tag for wyoming this year and ill probably be solo some of the time. I did buy bear spray and a 10MM glock. Still trying to decide on units to hunt but i know i have a chance to run into a bear in any of the western wyoming units.