Soooo I’m thinking about .243- few questions

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a .243 a looong time ago. Seized it during a spotlighting case, the judge (after a guilty plea) gave it to the department. I got it to use it in my patrol truck, as at the time the department didn’t provide us with a rifle.

It was an old Model 788 with an old 4X Weaver scope. Not a lot of money invested in this setup, but I shudder to think how many animals it killed (including a bunch by me as we were still doing a lot of kill permits at the time (deer & elk)).

Anyways that was 30+ years ago, but with all the hoopla of going to smaller calibers I thought I should consider it. While I’m not willing to trade my .308 for a .223, I thought maybe I should give a smaller caliber a try and the .243 came to mind.

I realize there are numerous newer 6mm offerings with lots of different acronyms, but I want the availability of ammo that .243 provides and a caliber that will likely still be around 20 years from now.

With all that said, I’ve found a rifle I’m interested in- sorry it’s not a Tika :D

I’ve had very good luck with Accubonds and see Nosler has a 90 gr bullet (and loaded ammo) in .243.

Is that a good bullet to consider? Others?

The rifle is 1:10 twist, will that work with a 90 gr bullet?

If it matters, nothing over 500 yards and realistically, nothing probably over 400 yards.

Also on my current .308, I’ve shortened it to 19” and just like the way the rifle carries/handles. It comes 22”, will I see much loss of velocity with 3” less barrel? Negligible loss with the.308.

Finally, based on my previous experience (30+ years ago) I’m pretty confident in the .243’s ability with antelope and deer; much less comfortable with elk- misplaced worry?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The Nosler Accubond 90 gr in a 1:10 twist is marginal.

Applied Ballistics is giving me a stability factor of 1.18 at sea level on a 60 degree day assuming a MV of 2900 and baro of 30 inHg. At 3000 ft that improves to 1.32.

In Montana, given altitude and that a barometer above 30 inHg is unheard of it should not be a problem. In Alaska it would be very easy to find conditions where the stability factor drops below one.

A stability factor of less than 1 means the bullet tumbles when it exits the muzzle. So, the bullet should work in most conditions that can reasonably be expected in your home state, but it will not work everywhere.

BjornF16

WKR
Avg MV loss when cutting back barrel is 25 fps/inch.

I’d be looking at the 90 ELD-X or 85 Partition. Maybe even a couple of options in 95 grain like NBT or SST.

JBM Ballistics stability calculator doesn’t take into account the hollow point occupied by plastic tips, so it could calculate instability when in fact the bullet stabilizes fine. Not sure if AB subtracts out that void or not.

Form has pointed out the 95 TMK NBT was designed for elk hunting out of standard twist .243 Win rifles.

Last edited:
I have been shooting 90gr ELD-X in an old .243 that I believe to be 1:10. I have not shot it past 300 or so. The old reticle is thick enough that it's difficult to be precise much farther. It seems fine, not sure about any other loads.

Edit to add that this has been at 5000-8000 above sea level.

Last edited:
A fast twist 243 tikka with 108 eldms is the combo I'd shoot for. If the gun you fancy does not have a fast twist another frangible bullet in the 90-95 grain realm would by my next choice. All that said, go with the 243 and don't look back. It's one of my personal favorites.

atmat

WKR
I have friends that run the 90g ELD-X.

Personally, I’d get a 6creed instead. It’s here to stay, and ammo is available and relatively cheap at $1.40/round for 108 ELD-M. You could spend $2000 upfront, buy a barrel’s worth of ammo, and not worrying about “staying power” because you have all the ammo you need for the barrel’s life.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

I’d be looking at the 90 ELD-X or 85 Partition. Maybe even a couple of options in 95 grain like NBT or SST.

JBM Ballistics stability calculator doesn’t take into account the hollow point occupied by plastic tips, so it could calculate instability when in fact the bullet stabilizes fine. Not sure if AB subtracts out that void or not.

Form has pointed out the 95 TMK was designed for elk hunting out of standard twist .243 Win rifles. I didn’t find any loaded ammo using Ammoseek, but if hand loads are an option, that would be what I’d pick
My guess is that AB does not account for the plastic tip as it gives the 95 gr TMK has a stability factor of 0.99 at sea level with a barro of 30 inHg.

In the end, you only know if you try it. I personally like having margin so I do not have to worry about it.

How far do you plan to shoot? Never mind, i went back and read.....

from what i have heard, 95 nosler bt is a pretty good bullet in the 243. Have not heard mich past 400 yds though.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

Form has pointed out the 95 TMK was designed for elk hunting out of standard twist .243 Win rifles. I didn’t find any loaded ammo using Ammoseek, but if hand loads are an option, that would be what I’d pick

I can live with 75’ less fps MV - thanks

The Accubond has a polymer tip, so maybe the calculations on stability are slightly skewed (towards instability)???

When I look up the 95 TMK it’s says don’t use for hunting- is that “old school” concern on these type of bullets?

BjornF16

WKR
My guess is that AB does not account for the plastic tip as it gives the 95 gr TMK has a stability factor of 0.99 at sea level with a barro of 30 inHg.

In the end, you only know if you try it. I personally like having margin so I do not have to worry about it.
I can live with 75’ less fps MV - thanks

The Accubond has a polymer tip, so maybe the calculations on stability are slightly skewed (towards instability)???

When I look up the 95 TMK it’s says don’t use for hunting- is that “old school” concern on these type of bullets?
TMK are the bees knees for killing critters…just look at the .223 thread on big game and the kills with 77 TMK.

The JBM online calculator DOES include plastic tip as input. You can use JBM length lookup as well.

My calculations show 95 TMK marginally stable at sea level with 2900 fps MV and 10” twist.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
6mm creed and 108eldm. It's not going anywhere and most places I look have more 6cm than 243win.

But if you must 243win then so be it, the deer, antelope and elk won't know the difference.

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Ran 95 TMK for 5,000’ elevation (std day)

View attachment 639688
Yep, JBM says it will stabilize at sea level, 0 degrees F, baro of 32 inHg (stability factor 1.062).

I can get conditions in AK where it will not stabilize, but those are the extremes. Even worst case in Montana (-40, baro of 30) it stabilizes.

This all makes me feel better about my 1:11 twist 308.

Hnthrdr

WKR
6mm creed and 108eldm. It's not going anywhere and most places I look have more 6cm than 243win.

But if you must 243win then so be it, the deer, antelope and elk won't know the difference.
Leaning the 6cm side right now though… just wish there were more in production (tikka I’m looking at you) I could sacrifice an savage action and re barrel but… it’s a savage action…

To make ‘smaller’ calibers work you need good bullets. I would consider accubonds a tough bullet that would lead to smaller wound channels than a TMK or ELD-x.

If you’re set on 243 the 90gr ELD-x might be your best bet, but a 6mm creed is more better (for bullets) and will be relevant/in production for a long time.