Sorry for another newbie post - question about towing utility trailer

jppatches

FNG
I'm kinda embarrassed to even ask this question but oh well. I've got a 2017 4.6L Tundra, the most basic trim model - was actually a fleet type vehicle before I owned it. I'm guessing it doesnt have a OEM brake controller. I have a tandem axle car hauler that I plan on pulling and hauling stuff with. The most heavy loads will likely be a tractor that weighs 3000lbs dry, so maybe with an tractor implement lets say my max trailer weight will be 4500 lbs. Question is, do I need to have a brake controller installed, if in fact my rig doesnt have one?

cmahoney

WKR
I'm kinda embarrassed to even ask this question but oh well. I've got a 2017 4.6L Tundra, the most basic trim model - was actually a fleet type vehicle before I owned it. I'm guessing it doesnt have a OEM brake controller. I have a tandem axle car hauler that I plan on pulling and hauling stuff with. The most heavy loads will likely be a tractor that weighs 3000lbs dry, so maybe with an tractor implement lets say my max trailer weight will be 4500 lbs. Question is, do I need to have a brake controller installed, if in fact my rig doesnt have one?

They are plug and play these days. Easy job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jppatches

FNG
They are plug and play these days. Easy job.

Thank you for this. I'll check this out. I read somewhere that someone had a 2018 or 2019 Tundra and it was a bit of work and had to run wires/hardwire their controller.

schmalzy

WKR
Thank you for this. I'll check this out. I read somewhere that someone had a 2018 or 2019 Tundra and it was a bit of work and had to run wires/hardwire their controller.

Unless you’re pretty handy and like doing this kind of stuff, I’d press the easy button on this one and go to a trailer/truck accessory place and have them install one for you. Shouldn’t be too expensive.

They should be able to help determine safe load amounts. I’d suggest reading up on it; it’s going to be quite a bit less than what manufacturer claims in advertisements.

Macintosh

WKR
What kind of brakes does the trailer have? I know many states require an adjustable controller if the trailer loaded weight is more than 3000lb.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
I would certainly make sure that you have electronic brakes and a cam control. And the breaks work correctly, an emergency break away control battery charged up n working on the trailer.
Personally I would not try hauling that much weight with this truck as you will have more weight behind you than the truck weighs. If you haul on icy roads more caution.
I have a 90 F-250 and haul 3-4 thousand pound loads regularly in the winter, snogos.
If you haven't had the back end of your truck lift up while breaking it a great thrill ride though

1st - do you have a tow package on your truck (extra cooler for radiator) and the receiver hitch attached to the frame and not just the bumper?

2nd - a brake controller can help, but isn't necessary if you drive sensibly. It will help with longevity of your unit's gearing going downhill and sudden stopping.

3rd - agree to the wt distribution hitch.

Beendare

WKR
Yep, good advice above.

The other thing worth mentioning about a Tundra is my 5.7 was rated to tow 10,000# but I can tell you the motor can do it but the truck frame and suspension cannot without mods. I had to put airbags on my old Tundra and it was still squirrely with a heavy trailer (7,000# plus)

I dont know what the 4.6 is rated…lower for sure.

Last edited:
OP
J

jppatches

FNG
Thank you all for the advice. It looks like up thru at least 2017, Tundras are kind of plug and play as far as installing the brake controller. For the most part I'll be hauling light loads but on a rare occasion will be hauling a tractor and that would be on flat highways in good weather. I'll just have to give it a shot and see how it handles and go from there. I suppose I could even limit my heaviest load to 2 ton or less. Blah blah blah... thanks again everybody!