Sorry for the rant, but does anyone else feel this way?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
These kinds of things in life have a way of working themselves out eventually. If the guy really has no clue, it will show. I've always been more of a "test it for myself" kind of guy regardless of reviews, because I've seen great reviews by so-called experts that were nowhere near my own experiences. I wouldn't get too worked up over it all.

I could care less who uses what products but I will listen to how they used it and what worked or didn’t. Then I will try to relate it to what I want and need to determine if I want to try the product.

To the original point I agree that the company is doing a disservice to its clientele by letting someone so inexperienced be a spokesperson. However, if you listen to said spokesperson you should be able to quickly determine if they are using the product in a way that produces useful information for you.

npm352

WKR
People can do what they want, and peddle their stuff how they want...but I really couldn't care less what people on social media use or endorse. Their reviews carry the weight of a dried dog turd. They get a discount, or something free, then they take a picture of them using it and say it is great. I like hearing what actual experts, like guides and PHs use (or guys who hunt for months, not a week a season), because I know it takes a beating and is used. I don't care how your pack worked on a five day elk hunt...I do care how it worked on 5 dall sheep hunts, 3 moose hunts and a couple brown bear hunts in a single season. If the only time you have used your tent is to take a picture of it set up in your backyard for your instareview, I just giggle and shake my head.

Frankly, the hunting gear market is a complete joke. If you are an instahoe or instaclown with a flatbrimmed hat and a bow, you are an expert. Generally these people have a few thousand followers and usually kill an elk and deer in their home state every year...and maybe a grouse. They will collect more antlers that fell off game in the spring than they ever will from dead stuff in the fall. These are the people who are on instagram while hunters are out killing stuff. I do not care what they say, but some do. Probably the same people who see ads of guys basically hanging off frozen waterfalls by the tip of their ice axes with a bow in the other hand and then go buy Kuiu.... nothing against Kuiu clothing....I just think their ads are hilarious.

Bottom line: it is a capitalistic market and brands simply need to make sales...whatever helps sales is what they will do.

Jardo

WKR
I’m available to be on the prostaff of any hunting or shooting company...

Just wanted to put that out ther.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cred to the OP for NOT naming the pack company. As I see it, this thread isn't about that company: It's about how companies promote their products by (often) using whatever means get them results. They can be deceptive. How many times have we seen a convincing spokesperson hawk a product on television and we KNOW they probably never use it or have any familiarity with it....beyond what is needed to advertise it as a 'tremendous value'. This pack thing is nothing more than that it seems. It teaches us to be skeptical of ALL the voices we hear touting the great qualities of certain gear. We have no idea of an individual's motivation whether it be money, prestige, fame, opportunity or other things of perceived value to him. I personally listen to almost no voices and always try to focus on the product and the company when evaluating a possible purchase.

I know a huckster when I see one. I know plenty of names who are more concerned with building their fame than they are with representing a product honestly. In this world of social media hype (look at politics) it's not about telling the truth much of the time. It's about having a huge following. It's about telling people what they want to hear. It's about convincing people you know more than the other guy, and what you're 'selling' is what they need to be buying. If someone challenges your ideas or product, you have an army of followers and maybe pro-staffers to swing the bat.

Pardon me. When I see the term or title 'pro-staff', I immediately consider that person as biased, compensated, and unlikely to provide a totally objective view of the product they are compensated to promote or rep.

For what it’s worth (not much), it appears to me much of society constructs a value equation built almost entirely on the commentary of the seller or some unknown, non-vetted third party offering advice for some unquestioned reason. Even reviewers/posters trying to be helpful, especially in re to expensive gear like trucks or firearms, often base opinion on a sample size of one, which always leads to unintended bias.

The good news is that there is a ton of feedback on just about every product out there. The bad news is that most of it is next to worthless. (Amazon reviews come to mind. IMO none of them are worth the bandwidth they occupy.) It’s like nothing ever changed...if you can’t touch it or test it yourself, or know someone you trust who has, you pays your nickel and you takes your chance.

I’m sure some folks who identify as ‘pro-staff’ are legit, but more and more I am coming to believe that ‘pro-staff’ and ‘influencer’, a term I’m not sure I understand but I sure don’t trust, are synonymous. I don’t like viewing the world through a suspicious lens, but anyone listening seriously to an internet source without a great deal of skepticism Is asking to get fleeced.

Mike 338

WKR
So a guy with a single-criteria resume jumps ahead of dozens, if not more, better qualified persons who can and do the job, day in and day out. Seen it most of my work life.

Don't be surprised if this dude ends up running the Dept of Interior.

OP
RaggedHunter
Cred to the OP for NOT naming the pack company. As I see it, this thread isn't about that company: It's about how companies promote their products by (often) using whatever means get them results. They can be deceptive. How many times have we seen a convincing spokesperson hawk a product on television and we KNOW they probably never use it or have any familiarity with it....beyond what is needed to advertise it as a 'tremendous value'. This pack thing is nothing more than that it seems. It teaches us to be skeptical of ALL the voices we hear touting the great qualities of certain gear. We have no idea of an individual's motivation whether it be money, prestige, fame, opportunity or other things of perceived value to him. I personally listen to almost no voices and always try to focus on the product and the company when evaluating a possible purchase.

I know a huckster when I see one. I know plenty of names who are more concerned with building their fame than they are with representing a product honestly. In this world of social media hype (look at politics) it's not about telling the truth much of the time. It's about having a huge following. It's about telling people what they want to hear. It's about convincing people you know more than the other guy, and what you're 'selling' is what they need to be buying. If someone challenges your ideas or product, you have an army of followers and maybe pro-staffers to swing the bat.

Pardon me. When I see the term or title 'pro-staff', I immediately consider that person as biased, compensated, and unlikely to provide a totally objective view of the product they are compensated to promote or rep.

I think what you said sums up how I feel perfectly. However, you did a much better job of saying it than I was able to.

I was more concerned about just "cussin and discussin" the way that companies that promote their products, rather than bashing this particular company, because there are so many companies out there guilty of the exact same thing.

I guess my take away point to all of this was, don't trust what the people slinging these products tell you.. because truth be known, many of them have absolutely zero experience with the product that they are slinging, they are just doing it because they get free sh!t and it pumps their ego to be on a "pro staff".